Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    Not's not too far away from home so get get back easy every now and again but it's far enough to gain independence. After a visit and sitting in on a lecture I liked the teaching styles and the classes weren't too big, plus the lecturers seemed helpful. Most importantly, the course seemed right and the modules and options available were good.
    nice one, sounds like an almost valid bunch of reasons :p:
    can you clarify on crooked's post above please rosie?
    i have heard similar things... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    awesome, good stuff. I'm applying because of the low entry grades aswell and it's far away from Birmingham.

Only problem is i've heard that the city centre is a bit of a dump. Can anyone that's been/lives/studies there tell me different? I hope it's not because i'm looking forward to going now.
    The new Union Square shopping centre is really cool. And Union street is alright. The city centre is quite nice I think. Who says it's a dump? Belmont street is cool as **** and by a country mile the best street in Aberdeen.

Union street, the main street, is just the same as every other main street. It's got all the sort of big names. Also you've got three big shopping centres plus I think the St Nicholas centre is going to expand to a new level and join up with the Bon Accord centre.

Anyway if your used to Birmingham then Aberdeen is competly different(I guess). I once went there for a wedding just for a couple of days and I hated it. It's so busy and horrible(no offense). Everywhere that you will really want to go to is in walking distance.

ReputationRep:
    awesome, good stuff. I'm applying because of the low entry grades aswell and it's far away from Birmingham.

Only problem is i've heard that the city centre is a bit of a dump. Can anyone that's been/lives/studies there tell me different? I hope it's not because i'm looking forward to going now.
    I thought exactly that before coming and I'm really not a city person which didn't help. I've been surprised, like every city there is the 'bad' areas but you tend to avoid that parts. The city centre has some amazing architecture and the shops are really good...typical Scottish city really (well it's no Edinburgh but :p:). I haven't really ventured outwith the main shopping area and campus/hillhead but these parts are lovely especially the old historic university area.

When you get an offer it would be worth a trip up north to see for yourself and get the actual feel of Aberdeen. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexterry)
    That Aberdeen is a dump? No. It's not. It's lovely and again the new shopping centre/train station/bus centre revamp makes it cool as **** when you come into the city.

There are also very little bad areas.

ReputationRep:
    Just replied to that, see above. :p:

ReputationRep:
    okay cool, what's the indie/rock scene like? Any good?

My uncle said it's abit grim but he's from Dumfries so he can hardly talk.

Yeah that's my big worry, i've been used to living and going out in a major city for so long that I'm worried Aberdeen might be abit small.

ReputationRep:
    I thought exactly that before coming and I'm really not a city person which didn't help. I've been surprised, like every city there is the 'bad' areas but you tend to avoid that parts. The city centre has some amazing architecture and the shops are really good...typical Scottish city really (well it's no Edinburgh but :p:). I haven't really ventured outwith the main shopping area and campus/hillhead but these parts are lovely especially the old historic university area.

When you get an offer it would be worth a trip up north to see for yourself and get the actual feel of Aberdeen. :yep:
    Yeah I plan on it provided I am given an offer of course
    As you seem relatively level headed for someone on TSR( :teehee: ), how would rate Aberdeen's nightlife?
    I'm a huge Drum&Bass fan and love my nights out so it's imperative :o:

ReputationRep:

Yeah that's my big worry, i've been used to living and going out in a major city for so long that I'm worried Aberdeen might be abit small.
    I'm from a small town/large village half an hour from Aberdeen so it's quite big and busy for me!

There are quite a few venues - The warehouse, AECC, music hall, the tunnels, drummonds and another venue on belmount street starting with a K that've forgotten the name all have bands and but AECC and the music hall play loads of indie rock bands.

ReputationRep:

The indie/rock scene is pretty good, The Lemon Tree has live bands and a lot of the clubs do themed nights in that style ie. The Warehouse do rock nights. It's just a matter of looking and trying out where you like. There is also the AECC which has the bigger names and concerts albeit more expensive. I'm from a town with one nightclub so can't comment on the size really but there is plenty of places and always thriving with people!

Yeah I plan on it provided I am given an offer of course
    As you seem relatively level headed for someone on TSR( :teehee: ), how would rate Aberdeen's nightlife?
    I'm a huge Drum&Bass fan and love my nights out so it's imperative :o:
    I think it's really good, the local university bar JP's, Liquid, Pearl Lounge, Tiger Tiger tend to be the popular places with students but tend to be more dance sort of clubs. As I said above, you just have to work out where you like and there is such a wide scope of places that will suit you.

Have a look here for the kind of bands/places with the latest music in Aberdeen.

ReputationRep:
    The indie/rock scene is pretty good, The Lemon Tree has live bands and a lot of the lesser know clubs do themed nights in that style ie. Moshulu and The Warehouse do rock nights. It's just a matter of looking and trying out where you like. There is also the AECC which has the bigger names and concerts albeit more expensive. I'm from a town with one nightclub so can't comment on the size really but there is plenty of places and always thriving with people!

I think it's really good, the local university bar JP's, Liquid, Pearl Lounge, Tiger Tiger tend to be the popular places with students but tend to be more dance sort of clubs. As I said above, you just have to work out where you like and there is such a wide scope of places that will suit you.
    Isn't that the same place? I think when Moshulu had a makeover they changed the name to warehouse but not sure.

And Korova has a drum n' bass night on Saturday nights. Also there is a club next to Korova that only plays drum n' bass but changed it's name now can't remember what it's called.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilko1991)
    Isn't that the same place? I think when Moshulu had a makeover they changed the name to warehouse but not sure.

And Korova has a drum n' bass night on Saturday nights. Also there is a club next to Korova that only plays drum n' bass but changed it's name now can't remember what it's called.
    Opps :o: yeah it is. I can't remember the name of that club next to Korova either but I've heard it's good.

Edit: Are you just applying this year?

ReputationRep:
    Opps :o: yeah it is. I can't remember the name of that club next to Korova either but I've heard it's good.

Edit: Are you just applying this year?
    And no I've already got a place for doing politics but I deferred entry for a year. I wasn't, and still not, 18 so couldn't be bothered going to uni yet cause I wouldn't been able to go out with other folk and couldn't have gone out on freshers.

I'm 18 on Wednesday though so can go out into town from then!

ReputationRep:
    And no I've already got a place for doing politics but I deferred entry for a year. I wasn't, and still not, 18 so couldn't be bothered going to uni yet cause I wouldn't been able to go out with other folk and couldn't have gone out on freshers.

I'm 18 on Wednesday though so can go out into town from then!
    Ooh awesome (as in 18 soon :p:). I have a couple of friends here who are still 17. They've found it hard when most people go out and they're having to stay in or make sure we just go to the places (JP's) where they don't ask for ID. During freshers, they weren't as strict with ID but there was still the risk of being left out if you didn't have. However there were plenty of other activites during freshers which didn't involve drinking.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh awesome (as in 18 soon :p:). I have a couple of friends here who are still 17. They've found it hard when most people go out and they're having to stay in or make sure we just go to the places (JP's) where they don't ask for ID. During freshers, they weren't as strict with ID but there was still the risk of being left out if you didn't have. However there were plenty of other activites during freshers which didn't involve drinking.
    I really enjoy going out and drinking though so didn't want to just do the other activities lol.

Are you living in Hillhead atm? Cause it sounds really cool with there being 2000 students there, a little shop and a pub.

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoy going out and drinking though so didn't want to just do the other activities lol.

Are you living in Hillhead atm? Cause it sounds really cool with there being 2000 students there, a little shop and a pub.
    Indeed I am up in Hillhead. Yip the Watering Hole is pretty decent, especially if you can't be bothered going into town and just want a quick drink. The social side is great, I'm in catered halls though which personally isn't worth the money for the quality of food but more than makes up in the social side. In my halls, most people seem to get on great and do everthing together - movie/games nights and kitchen parties are always fun!

What accommodation have you been looking at?

ReputationRep:
    Indeed I am up in Hillhead. Yip the Watering Hole is pretty decent, especially if you can't be bothered going into town and just want a quick drink. The social side is great, I'm in catered halls though which personally isn't worth the money for the quality of food but more than makes up in the social side. In my halls, most people seem to get on great and do everthing together - movie/games nights and kitchen parties are always fun!

What accommodation have you been looking at?
    I want to stay at hillhead but don't know which particular bit. I'm definitely going to get self catered though cause its cheaper and I quite like cooking my own food

I've lost my sheet with my portal user name and password though which is worrying. I need to phone up Aberdeen uni and ask what it was lol.

Really looking forward to moving into halls though just to meet new folk and move out of home. When can you start applying for accommodation?

Can I ask, what has made you guy's apply to Aberdeen?
    I think alexterry has pretty much summed it up.

One of the main reasons for me though, is that afaik, no one else from my Sixth Form is applying to ABDN and it'll be nice going somewhere completely different.. Plus, I have a thing for ABDN and Scotland in general!

A couple more questions for current ABDNers!

Is the NCC (Carnegie) decent? I take it 1st years are assigned particular halls? If so, what sort of %age are in NCC?

How is transport in and out of Aberdeen? I have a few friends who'll be going to Glasgow and Edinburgh. Is the public transport decent enough for getting around? Because i'm thinking of leaving my car at home...

ReputationRep:
    I want to stay at hillhead but don't know which particular bit. I'm definitely going to get self catered though cause its cheaper and I quite like cooking my own food

I've lost my sheet with my portal user name and password though which is worrying. I need to phone up Aberdeen uni and ask what it was lol.

Really looking forward to moving into halls though just to meet new folk and move out of home. When can you start applying for accommodation?
    Usually once you've accepted an offer, admissions sends you a pack with details on how to apply in May/June for accommodation. I'm not sure, you might actually be able to do it now since you have an offer but the deadline is the 28th August, it's all done online anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    A couple more questions for current ABDNers!

Is the NCC (Carnegie) decent? I take it 1st years are assigned particular halls? If so, what sort of %age are in NCC?

How is transport in and out of Aberdeen? I have a few friends who'll be going to Glasgow and Edinburgh. Is the public transport decent enough for getting around? Because i'm thinking of leaving my car at home...
    NCC is very nice, everything is new and in good condition, has en-suite and not forgetting the (almost) double bed! This comparision chart will give you idea where post/under graduates tend to apply for. NCC is very popular, majority I think is 1st years so you wouldn't have a problem there.

Transport is really good and I've never had a problem with it - buses, trains run regularly and will take you straight to Edinburgh/Glasgow for connections down south etc. There is also an airport 7 miles from the city centre. A regular bus service from Hillhead goes to campus and into town, you can get an all day return and use it as much in the day for £3.00. On certain days there is also a night bus which saves a few quid on taxis. It takes roughly 15mins to walk into uni and 45mins to get into town (well depends on walking speed :p:). Parking can be a problem in Aberdeen, especially around campus but a car would be handy to get to the bigger supermarkets like Tesco/Asda.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.