Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    No, it's proper boxing. They're the Scottish university champions for eight years running, and British university champions for the last two years.

I didn't say it was intense for nothing.

There were quite a lot of people, and they split us into groups and we took turns doing different activities (shadow boxing, pads, body boxing, etc.)

They said that over the course of the next few lessons they'll split us down into smaller groups and more experienced boxers will be coming in to give us coaching and more personal training.

I don't know how I'd go about answering this question. But apparently they're part of Team Jigoku, 'one of the finest teams in Scotland'. And they one the only...whatever you call it...that was held in Aberdeen.
    Thanks a lot for the info bro....

Still trying to decide whether to join up or not... hmmn...!

(Original post by judicious)
    Still trying to decide whether to join up or not... hmmn...!
    I'd definitely recommend for you to join. If MMA's a bit too short notice for you tonight, at least turn up to Boxing on 1600 Friday. :wink2:

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely recommend for you to join. If MMA's a bit too short notice for you tonight, at least turn up to Boxing on 1600 Friday. :wink2:
    Don't think I can make Friday either which is a problem because I still haven't moved up to Aberdeen. I'm moving up on Friday so will have to see what happens.

Did you pay that tenner for insurance btw?

Did you pay that tenner for insurance btw?
    Yep. If you need help with that, just let me know.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Just decided that I'm won't actually be going to the MMA tonight. I'm so sick and tired, it would be suicide.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. If you need help with that, just let me know.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Just decided that I'm won't actually be going to the MMA tonight. I'm so sick and tired, it would be suicide.
    Well, I got the e-mail, but I don't really understand what the insurance money is for exactly?

Well, I got the e-mail, but I don't really understand what the insurance money is for exactly?
    Basically, they can't let you train without insurance.

Here's the link: https://services.aberdeensportsvilla...roduction.aspx.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, they can't let you train without insurance.

Here's the link: https://services.aberdeensportsvilla...roduction.aspx.
    I see...have you done any boxing before or is this your first time?

I see...have you done any boxing before or is this your first time?
    This was my first time boxing. But I'd done 'other' martial arts before (such as one I did for 10 years). I wouldn't worry about it being your first time (assuming it is), at least half of the people there seemed to be beginners. Plus they'll match you up with people of similar size and ability.

ReputationRep:
    This was my first time boxing. But I'd done 'other' martial arts before (such as one I did for 10 years). I wouldn't worry about it being your first time (assuming it is), at least half of the people there seemed to be beginners. Plus they'll match you up with people of similar size and ability.
    That's not too bad. I've actually done a bit of boxing but been haven't trained for around a year now so it's been quite a while!

I think I might be the first one to drop out.. before we've even started! :eek:

I don't think ABDN was for me after all..

(Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    I think I might be the first one to drop out.. before we've even started! :eek:

I don't think ABDN was for me after all..
    What, why?! :lolwut:

What, why?! :lolwut:
    I'm not too sure.. I don't think ABDN and English was for me after all.. I came up on the 15th (iirc) and decided I was travelling back home the same day.

I hope you're all having a blast! I'm popping back up on Tuesday to speak to Foley (?) about it.. but I'm certain I'm not staying. I might see you guys around! :woo:

I'm not too sure.. I don't think ABDN and English was for me after all.. I came up on the 15th (iirc) and decided I was travelling back home the same day.
    So you came up on the 15th, before Freshers Week had even started, and you left on the same day. Why, was the mere sight of Aberdeen enough to turn you back home? I really can't understand this.

I'm popping back up on Tuesday to speak to Foley (?) to speak to her about it.. but I'm certain I'm not staying.
    We'll see about that... :sly:

So you came up on the 15th, before Freshers Week had even started, and you left on the same day. Why, was the mere sight of Aberdeen enough to turn you back home? I really can't understand this.

We'll see about that... :sly:
    Yeah. I'm gutted about Freshers tbh. Ha. ABDN is a nice Uni, and it's a nice place. I've visited the places loads of times beforehand.. but meh, the first night just felt like crap I'm hoping to be considered on a switch to Politics and History instead (opposed to Eng and History), but if that doesn't happen.. double meh!

Ha. I'd love to stay (especially the trouble I went through to get an offer.. :p:) but you have to think long-term. There's not much, I feel, that I can do with English. :confused:

Yeah. I'm gutted about Freshers tbh. Ha. ABDN is a nice Uni, and it's a nice place. I've visited the places loads of times beforehand.. but meh, the first night just felt like crap I'm hoping to be considered on a switch to Politics and History instead (opposed to Eng and History), but if that doesn't happen.. double meh!
    You do realise that Aberdeen's just like any other Scottish university? It's famed for its flexibility. You didn't apply for 'English', you applied for the Faculty of Arts. If you'd gone to your advisor appointment you could have chosen any modules from any course you wanted, as long as they didn't clash. For instance, despite applying for English on UCAS, you could have ended up studying History and Philosophy quite easily (or anything else for that matter).

I'm interested to know what happened on your first night. Did a Scotsman crawl through your window and scream "Get outta Aberdeen and never return!" or something?

Ha. I'd love to stay (especially the trouble I went through to get an offer.. :p:) but you have to think long-term. There's not much, I feel, that I can do with English. :confused:
    If I was a snob, I'd say that English, and virtually all Arts subjects were equally useless. But I'm not a snob, so I'm not going to say that. What do you actually mean by there not being much you can 'do with English'? Do you mean it in terms of job prospects? Because if so, the prospects are as good as any other standard Arts subject. Most graduate job don't actually ask for a specific degree anyway.

ReputationRep:
    What's happening people?

I've finally moved through and everything is well but it's rather depressing not knowing many (any) people :lol:

I've finally moved through and everything is well but it's rather depressing not knowing many (any) people :lol:
    Were you not in Aberdeen before? :hmmmm2:

You do realise that Aberdeen's just like any other Scottish university? It's famed for its flexibility. You didn't apply for 'English', you applied for the Faculty of Arts. If you'd gone to your advisor appointment you could have chosen any modules from any course you wanted, as long as they didn't clash. For instance, despite applying for English on UCAS, you could have ended up studying History and Philosophy quite easily (or anything else for that matter).

I'm interested to know what happened on your first night. Did a Scotsman crawl through your window and scream "Get outta Aberdeen and never return!" or something?
    It was more a hasty move if I'm honest.. I drove up (without my things, they were coming separately) got there.. had a look at my reading list and thought, I cba with this. Within an hour I was doing the 8 hour drive back I didn't go to my appointment.. just emailed the lady from admissions and told her I wouldn't be returning (I'm such a drama queen :p:).

OMG. I swear, if that happened, I would have actually stayed. :yes:

If I was a snob, I'd say that English, and virtually all Arts subjects were equally useless. But I'm not a snob, so I'm not going to say that. What do you actually mean by there not being much you can 'do with English'? Do you mean it in terms of job prospects? Because if so, the prospects are as good as any other standard Arts subject. Most graduate job don't actually ask for a specific degree anyway.
    I don't know.. Since I decided I was going to apply for English, I was given the whole 'English is useless..' and I thought to myself, it's true. What can I actually do with English? I was thinking of going into Journalism and frankly, that's a shambles. I spent a week at the BBC offices in Birmingham and thought, I can't see myself doing that.. Politics is interesting and I love history! Plus, I'm still kicking myself for not applying to Balliol College, I actually love that place.. perhaps even more than ABDN

Enough of me.. How are you finding ABDN? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Were you not in Aberdeen before? :hmmmm2:
    Nah, I was at home mate and I had to commute through every day by train. Lived about 70 miles away so it was an absolute nightmare.

Only delayed because the room was occupied until yesterday so had to be patient!

Where are you staying? which halls?

It was more a hasty move if I'm honest.. I drove up (without my things, they were coming separately) got there.. had a look at my reading list and thought, I cba with this. Within an hour I was doing the 8 hour drive back I didn't go to my appointment.. just emailed the lady from admissions and told her I wouldn't be returning (I'm such a drama queen :p:).
    Same! :beer:

I don't know.. Since I decided I was going to apply for English, I was given the whole 'English is useless..' and I thought to myself, it's true. What can I actually do with English? I was thinking of going into Journalism and frankly, that's a shambles. I spent a week at the BBC offices in Birmingham and thought, I can't see myself doing that.. Politics is interesting and I love history! Plus, I'm still kicking myself for not applying to Balliol College, I actually love that place.. perhaps even more than ABDN
    Forget about the future for now. Just do what you enjoy and are most interested in and the rest will fall into place naturally. That's the best advice me, or anyone else can give you.

Take me for example. I came here to study Mathematics, but as I also love History, I'm taking a module in that now. If I decide that I'm enjoying History and choose to do more modules in it, I could actually graduate with a degree in History!

"Now you're going to get that suitcase of yours and stuff it with everything you need to survive on your own because you're coming to Aberdeen!"

Where are you staying? which halls?
    King Street Exchange, across the road from the MacRobert Building.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 5, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  2. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.