Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Hi

If you're reading this, then you're probably considering ABDN 2010 (or you happened to wonder in...) :yes:

I guess you could say I'm jumping the gun a bit. However, I was wondering if anyone else on here has their heart set on Aberdeen for 2010 entry? :woo:

If you are too, I thought we could use this thread to share our thoughts/opinions/view etc?

I'm hoping to apply for English and History? Anyone else..
    i really want to go to Aberdeen Uni Applying for primary education. partly wanna go cos its one of the best places for education in the uk and also cos i could stay at home and save money lol pathetic i know but hey i dont care lol.

(Original post by scottishGirl)
    i really want to go to Aberdeen Uni Applying for primary education. partly wanna go cos its one of the best places for education in the uk and also cos i could stay at home and save money lol pathetic i know but hey i dont care lol.
    Excellent choice!

If I'm honest, if I lived anywhere near ABDN, I would probably do the same.

If you live close enough, it's not as if you'll miss out on the social events and stuff? Best of both worlds!

(Original post by rosie9391)
    (snip)
    Sweet! Awesome stuff!

Do you know if and when ABDN offer accommodation tours? Because I've only ever seen pictures and they're not a good way of sizing up rooms.. (I've already been buying junk :o:)

I was thinking of taking a car for that exact reason, but my insurance is already high and I can't be hassled with my premiums increasing simply because I'll be parking in the car park etc.

I hope you don't mind me bombarding you with all these questions? I'll be sure to thank you personally in form of a drink or two when I'm next down!

Is there a rowing club/team? Because it's one of the only things I'll miss if ABDN didn't have one!

ReputationRep:
    Excellent choice!

If I'm honest, if I lived anywhere near ABDN, I would probably do the same.

If you live close enough, it's not as if you'll miss out on the social events and stuff? Best of both worlds!
    Yeah i was speaking to people at the open day and they said that theres a large ammount of students live at home seen accomodations quite pricey they told me a % but cant remember what it was but it was quite high so at least i know i wont be alone! also with the primary teaching course there seems to be alot of group work and stuff so hopefully i'll get to know people through that seen i wont be in halls.
    where are you applying to? Im applying to Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh (although it would be a last option considering the living costs) , Possibly strathyclyde and RGU but for Social Work. Aberdeen definatley #1 choice though!
    Im sure you will like aberdeen its a nice city cos its not to small and not to big and has just got a brand new shopping centre union square which is good.

ReputationRep:
    Depends where your from but for me the bus in is £15 and to drive with petrol prices being so high it wouldn't be that much cheaper.

Yeah i was speaking to people at the open day and they said that theres a large ammount of students live at home seen accomodations quite pricey they told me a % but cant remember what it was but it was quite high so at least i know i wont be alone! also with the primary teaching course there seems to be alot of group work and stuff so hopefully i'll get to know people through that seen i wont be in halls.
    where are you applying to? Im applying to Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh (although it would be a last option considering the living costs) , Possibly strathyclyde and RGU but for Social Work. Aberdeen definatley #1 choice though!
    Im sure you will like aberdeen its a nice city cos its not to small and not to big and has just got a brand new shopping centre union square which is good.
    I'm sure there'll be ample opportunity for you to get involved in the social side of things

I haven't looked at accommodation elsewhere for the other Uni's, but ABDN imo seemed reasonable.

I'm applying to ABDN, Durham, St. Andrews, Bristol and Birmingham (see UCAS sig). But ABDN is where I want to go and if I'm honest, I only applied to the others because it's a trend in my sixth form to be doing so (literally everyone is applying to Doxbridge) and I hate how ABDN has been given a reputation of being nowhere near the same league as Durham etc, which is so not fair! :mad:

I have visited ABDN a couple of times, but they've been short visits. I'm hoping to take some time off soon when I can and have a proper visit But so far I love it. Aberdeen or somewhere in Sweden is where I wouldn't mind spending the rest of my life :o:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there'll be ample opportunity for you to get involved in the social side of things

I haven't looked at accommodation elsewhere for the other Uni's, but ABDN imo seemed reasonable.

I'm applying to ABDN, Durham, St. Andrews, Bristol and Birmingham (see UCAS sig). But ABDN is where I want to go and if I'm honest, I only applied to the others because it's a trend in my sixth form to be doing so (literally everyone is applying to Doxbridge) and I hate how ABDN has been given a reputation of being nowhere near the same league as Durham etc, which is so not fair! :mad:

I have visited ABDN a couple of times, but they've been short visits. I'm hoping to take some time off soon when I can and have a proper visit But so far I love it. Aberdeen or somewhere in Sweden is where I wouldn't mind spending the rest of my life :o:
    In my town we're all grips with money lol so abdeen is expensive where im sitting. although obviously its cheaper than edin etc but i think considering i dont live far away i'd rather spend the money on something else. Also i guess if your coming from england the accomodation here will seem alot cheaper but like i say i know theres alot more expensive places we're just all grips with money lol. and yeah i hope so i cant wait to go out clubbing and stuff .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilko1991)
    Depends where your from but for me the bus in is £15 and to drive with petrol prices being so high it wouldn't be that much cheaper.
    oh where are you from? sorry hope you dont mind me asking. im from ellon
    its £3.50 for a return to aberdeen from where i live quite differnt to £15 that sucks!

ReputationRep:
    its £3.50 for a return to aberdeen from where i live quite differnt to £15 that sucks!
    I'm from Alford. £3.50 is ******* ace. Also its take 35 mins to drive and the quickest bus is an hour and ten mins.

ReputationRep:
    Sweet! Awesome stuff!

Do you know if and when ABDN offer accommodation tours? Because I've only ever seen pictures and they're not a good way of sizing up rooms.. (I've already been buying junk :o:)

I was thinking of taking a car for that exact reason, but my insurance is already high and I can't be hassled with my premiums increasing simply because I'll be parking in the car park etc.

I hope you don't mind me bombarding you with all these questions? I'll be sure to thank you personally in form of a drink or two when I'm next down!

Is there a rowing club/team? Because it's one of the only things I'll miss if ABDN didn't have one!
    Haha, no I don't mind. :p: They usually offer them as part of the open days, however you can arrange individual visits at anytime if you're unable to attend, Student Accommodation Office would be the ones to contact about viewing.

You'll be pleased to know that the uni does indeed have a rowing club which you can check out here. There are so many clubs and societies, which you'll find out at freshers - I'm part of the sailing team myself. :p:

ReputationRep:
    That Aberdeen is a dump? No. It's not. It's lovely and again the new shopping centre/train station/bus centre revamp makes it cool as **** when you come into the city.
    Why oh why does everyone seem to get such a bonk-on over Union Square. It's just a bloody shopping centre, and not a particularly interesting one either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Why oh why does everyone seem to get such a bonk-on over Union Square. It's just a bloody shopping centre, and not a particularly interesting one either.
    For me it's not really the shopping centre its the outside. Before when you came into Aberdeen it was the shocking bus station the ok train station and when you came out the bus station it's a **** hole. Now when you come out the train station you get a realy nice entry to Aberdeen (note to all you students I din't call it the Deen t's called Aberdeen)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiko 1001)
    -
    PM'd you! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, does anyone know how long it takes to get an acknowledgement/offer. I have acknowledgements from all of my other choices ages ago and I am getting slightly worried about Aberdeen.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyIScool)
    Hey guys, does anyone know how long it takes to get an acknowledgement/offer. I have acknowledgements from all of my other choices ages ago and I am getting slightly worried about Aberdeen.

Thanks
    You can't really tell when they will reply, just now they will have a lot of applications to go through so you'll just have to sit back and wait a little bit longer. It seems you've only been waiting a week, I wouldn't worry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyIScool)

Thanks
    I was 14th of January lol still quite a while to go.

ReputationRep:
    Hey don't worry. I applied (quite late, I must admit) to aberdeen and they were the last to get back to me

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I dont think I heard back until about the first week in February. Although I didnt apply until December :p:

ReputationRep:
    For me it's not really the shopping centre its the outside. Before when you came into Aberdeen it was the shocking bus station the ok train station and when you came out the bus station it's a **** hole. Now when you come out the train station you get a realy nice entry to Aberdeen (note to all you students I din't call it the Deen t's called Aberdeen)
    The new bus station is still pretty **** compared to the likes of Dundee or Edinburgh. Still, I suppose Union Square is a better way of entering the city than before. Still, shame Guild Street is decaying a bit...

... in fact, so is Union Street. It's quite depressing seeing all the seedy little pound shops there, whilst Esslemont and Mackintosh lies derelict.

ReputationRep:
    Good effort if you can stomach the trip down here every day. I personally wouldn't fancy it though (I don't know if Stagecoach do any good bus passes either). Could be an early start for you as well with the nightmare that is rush hour King Street.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  2. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.