Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I heard that working classes have more fun..i guess ignorance is truely bliss.

(Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Plenty of footballers are middle class (Frank Lampard went to a private school), and plenty of people from everywhere in society can now be the "ruling class", so your already ****** and hardly comprehensive arguments are also pretty baseless in truth
    That's not really true. However, it is true that the middle class are now the ruling class, and have been for the last couple of hundred years, really...

ReputationRep:
    Is that not the challenge you so desperately seek? Make life interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Plenty of footballers are middle class (Frank Lampard went to a private school), and plenty of people from everywhere in society can now be the "ruling class", so your already ****** and hardly comprehensive arguments are also pretty baseless in truth
    Yes but snobbery is such in this country-it's not like the USA-Frank Lampard wen to private school but because of his folks and his accent etc, he isn't posh. There's certain things you must do to be establishment.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    Except that most working class people don't go on to be footballers or rockstars, because they're too busy trying to improve their life situation/become middle class.

Working class people aren't all "wild and feckless". They're just like everyone else, but with less money.
    well again, people are taking me a little too literally, it was mor a jist I was trying to convey about people who are heroes. You either have the possibility of greatness and the willingness to be superior that is the upper class, or the grit of thw roking class , the kudos of battling...the middle class just tend to be more earnest than either of those, as a generalisation, if you get me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alasdair)
    That's not really true. However, it is true that the middle class are now the ruling class, and have been for the last couple of hundred years, really...
    Sort of, but that all depends on whether you consider the the "ruling class" as those politically in charge, or those with the greatest amount of influence, as well as whether the upper classes is just confined to the aristocracy and whatnot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    well again, people are taking me a little too literally, it was mor a jist I was trying to convey about people who are heroes. You either have the possibility of greatness and the willingness to be superior that is the upper class, or the grit of thw roking class , the kudos of battling...the middle class just tend to be more earnest than either of those, as a generalisation, if you get me
    I do get what you mean, but I really think you have a romanticised idea of the working class.

ReputationRep:
    What a pointless thread, complaining because your comfortable life is boring. Do you want hardship? =\

ReputationRep:
    Most working class people dream of being middle class.

ReputationRep:
    Cars, drugs, house parties.

ReputationRep:
    gamble and everything will change

ReputationRep:
    There are quite a few footballers who came from middle class families so, huh?

ReputationRep:
    errrrr.............noooo

ReputationRep:
    well if you could 'lend' me a few thousand so we could hire a sportscar and race round silversotne it wouldnt be boring..

ReputationRep:
    errrrr for now..... no.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, get a hobby.

ReputationRep:
    I saw this thread and I thought of Common People.

ReputationRep:
    Surely, nowadays, people have more of an opportunity than in any other time in history, to decide which class they want to belong to?? Obviously, it's a lot harder to go higher than lower, but it's not impossible - if you reeeeeally are that bothered, you would have made some change by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    You're comfortable financially. What on earth more could you want?
    All the money in the world won't get rid of that lingering sense of ennui.

(Original post by ChiaraMcD)
    Surely, nowadays, people have more of an opportunity than in any other time in history, to decide which class they want to belong to?? Obviously, it's a lot harder to go higher than lower, but it's not impossible - if you reeeeeally are that bothered, you would have made some change by now.
    Remembering that class does not simply equate to money or profession. I actually think I'd have an easier time feigning being upper class than working class: the latter would see right through me in a second.

If you're a certain class then it takes massive changes in manners, personality and social circle to
    'move' convincingly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.