Turn on thread page Beta

The big scary STEP results countdown/discussion thread 2009! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Well I did prepare for STEP III, did STEP III past papers, learnt STEP III techniques... I even did the 2009 paper when it was uploaded to the internet :p: I don't suppose it did me any harm to do so, but I'm glad my offer was based on I/II rather than II/III.
    Haha, perfect answer

ReputationRep:
    Ouch... hard to tell, but I'd imagine that that means that you need STEP.

On a side note, I'd love to hear someone with a lisp try to pronounce your college-to-be's name
    Haha, I would also. It does indeed make it look that way.. I wish I'd phoned them and asked them to clarify the offer, but I was worried it'd seem like I was making excuses/would be showing my doubts at meeting it! Ah well. The guy did say at interview that he should still be able to give me a place without STEP, it's just whether the offer letter contradicts that and deciding how much of this uncertainty is my mind making me worry unnecessarily! I suppose if I do get a place, it'll feel much more of an accomplishment.

(Original post by My Alt)
    Nuodai you might as well have taken STEP II / III. What do you reckon they would have said if you'd phoned up and said "I really wanna do STEP III, wanna revise your offer "

In a way I would have been slightly upset if I hadn't sat STEP III.
    Crazy, crazy man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikru)
    Crazy, crazy man.
    Yo mikru! Long time no see!

Nice to see you're still fretting over STEP III :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by My Alt)
    Yo mikru! Long time no see!

Nice to see you're still fretting over STEP III :p:
    Hallo! I knoow, I did avoid TSR like the plague since finishing my exams though and it helped as STEP was pushed to the very back of my mind... but I reasoned the week before results was as good a time as any to rekindle the nerves/anticipation.

ReputationRep:
    2 days ! <=[
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by FZka)
    2 days ! <=[
    It'd be alright if you did that when it was midnight, or after, but it's not even 11pm yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FZka)
    2 days ! <=[
    Is that a house with a chimney?

ReputationRep:
    It'd be alright if you did that when it was midnight, or after, but it's not even 11pm yet!
    I was expecting an \mathbb{R} to \mathbb{C} joke... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    Is that a house with a chimney?
    haha, lmao
    no, obviously it's not :p:

ReputationRep:
    It is .. over here ... GMT+3
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by sonofdot)
    I was expecting an \mathbb{R} to \mathbb{C} joke... :p:
    I did think of that, but I couldn't get my head around it. If r is the time when we get our results and n is now, then we're relying on the fact that r &gt; n to count down. If r, n \in \mathbb{C}, then &gt; has no meaning, so we're screwed!

(Original post by FZka)
    It is .. over here ... GMT+3
    But the results are released at 00:00 GMT

ReputationRep:
    Sure it's GMT and not BST? Cos then I'd have to stay up until 1 in the morning and that would be x_x
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by around)
    Sure it's GMT and not BST? Cos then I'd have to stay up until 1 in the morning and that would be x_x
    Pardon me, it is indeed BST.

ReputationRep:
    Pardon me, it is indeed BST.
    Source? The stuff I read seemed fairly ambiguous...
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Source? The stuff I read seemed fairly ambiguous...
    Well it says "00:00hrs on Thursday 20 August 2009" and I would imagine that this time would follow whatever time zone Cambridge happens to be in at the time (i.e. BST). Perhaps I'm jumping to false conclusions, but if I can wait this long that extra hour isn't going to make much of a difference!

ReputationRep:
    Well it says "00:00hrs on Thursday 20 August 2009" and I would imagine that this time would follow whatever time zone Cambridge happens to be in at the time (i.e. BST). Perhaps I'm jumping to false conclusions, but if I can wait this long that extra hour isn't going to make much of a difference!
    I can't bear to imagine how slowly that hour will pass...
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I can't bear to imagine how slowly that hour will pass...
    Not as slowly as the next 48½, that's for sure. Be sure to send me a text with your STEP II result, just so that I can see if I beat you in it or not (I think I already know the answer to this question).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice. I can't tell if you're being serious but I sincerely hope you speak like that in real life. :V

Good Lord, less than 48 hours until my personal apocalypse.

ReputationRep:
    Two questions
    1.What is the realistic chance to be fished from the pool with 1,3 at least and S,2 at most in STEP II&III?
    2.What is the realistic chance to be accepted (and not pooled) by the preference college anyway despite not having meet the offer? (Of course, I mean if the offer conditions are just narrowly missed.)

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, there was a statistic I read...

40% of those taking STEP III get a one or above. 60% of people who get their mathematics offer from Cambridge get in so... the discrepancy comes from somewhere.

I would have thought S/2 gives you hella decent chance.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.