Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The big scary STEP results countdown/discussion thread 2009! watch

ReputationRep:
    I completely failed STEP 1 (as in I can't actually have passed, didn't answer enough!), I might have passed STEP 2, but that is a big maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelliephant)
    I completely failed STEP 1 (as in I can't actually have passed, didn't answer enough!), I might have passed STEP 2, but that is a big maybe.
    Do you need it for an offer, or was this for fun or practice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Do you need it for an offer, or was this for fun or practice?
    No I luckily don't need it. I was going to go to Warwick so I decided to take them, but I decided I couldn't live there, so I put durham down as my firm, they don't want it.

ReputationRep:
    Omfg I just saw the grade boundaries....there goes my hope of scraping an S in STEP I, and scraping a 2 in II.

ReputationRep:
    i can't take it anymore
    i hope that 'your application is no longer active' doesn't mean I got rejected

ReputationRep:
    Do you think one full question, two 3/4 questions, one half question and two fragments will be enough for a 2 on III? I'm bricking it here :s

ReputationRep:
    1 day ! :|

ReputationRep:
    I did a bit of counting using the distribution of scores and I found that the number of people achieving each grade in each paper to be :
    cumulative number of candidates achieving each grade:
    S 1 2 3 u
    STEP I 46 160 298 719 921
    STEP II 81 263 421 720 890
    STEP III 75 242 332 471 528

I did it very quickly so it may not b accurate. but I do think it can give a broad image of what has happened.

ReputationRep:
    17 hours - I can see them dragging somehow.

ReputationRep:
    Read this in another thread:

(Original post by k9ruby)
    My plan is... Then I will wake up and most probably check on my phone whether i have got in.
    They text us?

ReputationRep:
    More likely someone who can get the internet on their phone.

I had my first STEP dream last night! But in that I didn't get in . This day is going to feel very long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    The boundaries do look a bit odd. It is certainly hard on people who took STEP I in preference to STEP III to get into Warwick.

32.4% of candidates achieved S, 1 or 2 on STEP I whereas 45.8% of candidates achieved S or 1 on STEP III!
    There's a large chunk of people who did really well on STEP III (look at the peak in the curve at 90 marks). To get the '1' rate down to "normal" levels, the boundary would have had to be something ridiculous like 80. Since this would have violated the "4 good questions get you a 1" advice given in many places, there was only so far they could adjust the boundaries. (Though I would still have thought the boundary could have been a bit higher).

(Original post by dave_chapman)
    Why are the grade boundaries so high this year? In previous years an S is usually awarded to the top octile - but 9.1%??? I think there will be a lot of mathmos in the summer pool this year...
    The cynical side of me expects that the STEP II boundaries were shifted slightly higher than that exam would justify if it stood alone. I reckon it's being used as a differentiator for people making their 11 offers (which is normally what STEP III does).

ReputationRep:
    16 hours...

(Original post by Mr M)
    :poke:
    So, do you get marks or just grades?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Oh for god's sake, last night was ridiculous! I barely slept and when I did sleep, I dreamt that I was dreaming that I couldn't get to sleep. That was a mindfsck, waking up in a dream and then waking up again IRL. Am I even awake now? I need coffee :p:

14 hours and 22 minutes ! :|

ReputationRep:
    I dreamt I got 1,1 and went around telling all my friends and family that I got in, only to receive a phone call telling me they made a mistake and I actually got 2,2 :eek:

Then I dreamt I was playing Tennis with Samuel L Jackson...:shifty:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    On another note: the results section on the CA website is down for maintenance! :eek3: This is all too much excitement! I might pee!

ReputationRep:
    OH ****, who the **** showed us those boundaries =(

EDIT: How do we find out what has happened to our application? Track?
    EDIT2: No way am I checking my SAQ

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming it's meant to be down and will come back up at 12 when they've updated, as opposed to the possibility of technical problems.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by toasted-lion)
    I'm assuming it's meant to be down and will come back up at 12 when they've updated, as opposed to the possibility of technical problems.
    I dunno; even the centres section is down, and they're supposed to be released to the centres today.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure of an S in I, but given the high grade boundary in II (98), I'll get a 1 in II. So S,1 it is. Was hoping for S,S.

Link to TSR poll which came out suggesting 90-91 as the S/1 boundary in II, although there was no facility to vote for >96.

Incidentally, this year's S/1 boundary of 98 is higher than any S/1 boundary, for any STEP paper, in any previous year in the present decade.

Why they did this, remains unclear. It can't be to do with offers, because extremely few people get an offer involving an S. Also at 9% the percentage getting an S is down from 12% and 13% in 2008 and 2007. And there's no 'advice' as to what's good enough for an S, as there is for a 1 (four complete-ish answers).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.