Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Will centres get the marks online? Or just the grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave730)
    Will centres get the marks online? Or just the grades?
    That's the big question, isn't it? Nobody seems to know the answer... my money's on them finding out the marks, since I think they did last year (when it wasn't online) :iiam:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonofdot)
    That's the big question, isn't it? Nobody seems to know the answer... my money's on them finding out the marks, since I think they did last year (when it wasn't online) :iiam:
    Centres definitely get the marks - I've heard this from CA - but do they get them online? Since everything's supposed to be online, I think the answer is yes.

This isn't specifically stated in the advice to centres about results though. They can download a statement of results to give to candidates who for some reason can't download this themselves, and they can also download a csv file of all their candidates' results. My guess would be the marks are in the latter.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    There's a large chunk of people who did really well on STEP III (look at the peak in the curve at 90 marks).
    I did spot that and was surprised as the perception of candidates on this site was that the examination was challenging. Certainly there have been several expressions of despair since the boundaries were released.

Folks, the good news is that the OCR A Level mathematics boundaries are low this year across all modules. I would post them but I could not find any definitive answer about whether they are supposed to be kept under wraps until tomorrow so I will err on the side of caution.

(Original post by sonofdot)
    So, do you get marks or just grades?
    When I tried to register to access the STEP results for my students, I found my exams officer had nipped in first and I don't know his password so I can't answer your question.

ReputationRep:
    :woo: :cry: hello everybody

Just read this whole thread when I'm meant to be at work, I never knew ******** bricks could be so painful!

Couple of things:
    1) OMG do we not get our mark breakdown?? So I can't say "Well I *almost* got a 3" when people ask??
    2) AHH THAT MEANS OUR TEACHERS HAVE IT TODAY
    3) Those marks are so unfair
    4) I think STEP I is taken by a lot of year 12s who aren't necessarily amazing or don't have offers based on it, so they don't work hard or don't do well. Certainly out of the 8 other year 12s in my school who took it, I'd say 5, maybe 6 came out expecting a 3 or lower.
    5) I'm waiting on STEP I results, did 6.2 questions but I majorly messed up the second part of the first question (which was probably worth quite a bit as part i was fairly straighforward) so iI'm never going to get the S that everyone expects me to I hope I don't let them down...
    6) I had my first STEP dream last night! I dreamt I was up at 4am knowing that I have to be up at 6:30 on Thursday and was juuuust looking at my results. Can't remember what they were but I was upset in my dream :o:
    7) GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    1. We don't know until tomorrow, if indeed the teachers have the breakdown, which they might not
    2. Yes, and they also find out our A-level results today
    3. They're areet, I'd imagine they reflect (in some form) the distribution of results which, this year, was weird and lumpy
    4. Only three people at my school took STEP, and we were all in Y13 Further Maths -- your school must be crazy
    5. You don't need to ace 6 questions to get an S

ReputationRep:
    I was the only person in my year taking STEP III (some guy in the year below took II and probably got higher marks than me)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Folks, the good news is that the OCR A Level mathematics boundaries are low this year across all modules. I would post them but I could not find any definitive answer about whether they are supposed to be kept under wraps until tomorrow so I will err on the side of caution.
    Off topic, but do you know anything about OCR MEI?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by miml)
    Off topic, but do you know anything about OCR MEI?
    I have the boundaries but I don't know how they compare to previous years as I am not very familiar with this spec.

I can let you see them tomorrow if you pm me.

ReputationRep:
    For those who want to analyse things to the last detail, I've attached a spread sheet with the number of people getting each mark (from 0 to 120).

I created them by doing some automated image analysis on the graphs provided by Cambridge assessment; I am fairly sure they are correct, but I haven't checked too extensively.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xls step_mark_distribution.xls (20.0 KB, 110 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Maybe it's a really tasty shirt...
    not relevant to the topic now is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    I dunno; even the centres section is down, and they're supposed to be released to the centres today.
    Oh dear - it better be back up by tonight!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toasted-lion)
    Oh dear - it better be back up by tonight!
    It's ready now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nchen5)
    It's ready now.
    Not on my computer.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by toasted-lion)
    Not on my computer.
    Works fine for me. Try clearing your browser's cache or holding shift whilst pressing refresh.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear. I'm settling in for a longg day. Unsure whether to check my SAQ really.

ReputationRep:
    Don't, I didn't. Going out to play golf later, that should work.

ReputationRep:
    After the last four pages of which is quite impressive posting for one day I am now bricking it majorly about everything in general!

Mr M - how did your class do? (just making conversation - dont answer if your not allowed)

And what is saq?

ReputationRep:
    DFranklin's numbers give me a little hope. I was expecting less than 10 for STEP III, but his spreadsheet suggests that the lowest mark was 16. So, if they're accurate, then I might be underestimating just slightly, which would put me in 1 territory for II. I won't hold my breath though. :p:

(Original post by The Muon)
    And what is saq?
    Supplementary Application Questionnaire, or something like that. It was an online form with extra details that you had to submit if you applied (EDIT: D'oh, missed the key words 'to Cambridge' :rolleyes:). Back when offers were being made, it looked like there was a correlation between whether you could still login to your SAQ account and whether you were made an offer/rejected/pooled.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The Muon)
    Mr M - how did your class do? (just making conversation - dont answer if your not allowed)

And what is saq?
    I couldn't get into the STEP results. I emailed our exams officer but he hasn't replied so I might have to wait until tomorrow to find out. The OCR modules results were fine.

SAQ is the extra questionnaire you complete for Cambridge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.