Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The big scary STEP results countdown/discussion thread 2009! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepieofpie)
    I think I got a good 1 in STEP II but a 3 in STEP III .

Nothing wrong with that unless they've got easier in the last 10 years - I still got offered a place at Camb with that (original requirement was 22).

ReputationRep:
    scary stuff

ReputationRep:
    The days are starting to feel longer already :o:
    I don't want to wait :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftuk)
    Nothing wrong with that unless they've got easier in the last 10 years - I still got offered a place at Camb with that (original requirement was 22).
    Interestingly (in terms of the whole 'standards' debate), I wouldn't say the STEP exams have got significantly easier, but the 'standard offer' has now crept up to 11.

My pet belief is that this is largely because people's preparation has improved vastly since the advent of forums like this one.

ReputationRep:
    Just signed up. Already well aware that I'm not doing Maths now (although I'd decided before I looked at STEP that I'd rather do one of the other optinos anyway, just hadn't looked before sending off UCAS :awesome:)

Hoping for a 33. Now I feel dumb >_>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Interestingly (in terms of the whole 'standards' debate), I wouldn't say the STEP exams have got significantly easier, but the 'standard offer' has now crept up to 11.

My pet belief is that this is largely because people's preparation has improved vastly since the advent of forums like this one.
    Perhaps not in compared to A levels, but I believe STEP is definitely getting easier. It's also harder to judge how it compares, because we don't know how easy the marks are to 'grab' (or how this has changed).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    Perhaps not in compared to A levels, but I believe STEP is definitely getting easier. It's also harder to judge how it compares, because we don't know how easy the marks are to 'grab' (or how this has changed).
    I don't really agree about the difficulty in general; I could agree it's a little easier, but I'd say the difference is still drowned in statistical variations. (That is, if you choose the wrong questions, a modern paper can be a LOT more difficult than one from 10 years ago - although the opposite also holds).

So I'd say the move in expected scores (as discussed, it's moved 22 to 11, and the grade boundaries have moved up as well) easily makes up for any slight drop in abstract difficulty. Given the choice of getting 2 1/2 questions in 1999 to meet your offer, or 4 + fragments in 2009 to meet my offer, I know which I would choose.

ReputationRep:
    Dunno if this is the right thread to discuss 'STEP is getting easier' and whatnot! It's a solid exam and everyone who sat it to meet an offer should be proud, as any uni giving you a STEP based offer has done so because they think you're a top notch mathematician, however results turn out. I hope y'all get the results you deserve

If you're just doing it for fun....then cool ;-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonofdot)
    So now I've registered to get my STEP results, I just got a whole lot more nervous, so I thought we needed somewhere to vent our nerves/count down the 10 DAYS until we know...

Anyone want to make predictions? I feel I should be confident that I made my offer, but that confidence is rapidly decreasing as results day draws nearer and nearer...

Also, does anyone know what time the site will update? (not that it matters as I will be up all night whatever, but you know...) and anyone know if we will get our mark as well as our grade on the site?

Good luck everyone, not long now... :woo:
    Argh, these kind of threads irritate me to no end!! They're always started by smug types who can't wait to tell everyone how they did :rolleyes:.

Mate, you've still got 10 days!! Isn't this thread a bit early? Way to go reminding everyone...I put it to the back of my mind last year and didn't even think about results day last year until the day before which was great as I only had 12 odd hours to be anxious about it. You're just going to get yourself all nervous and worried in the next 10 days which isn't good for anyone's health.

And why would anyone want to read a thread full of people predicting 'Oh, yeah I've probably got my grades, AAA, in the bag'....or 'OMG I've TOTALLY FAILED LYK OMG I'm gonna MISS MY OFFER. END OF WORLD!!1!'

None of you know yet, so que sera sera. Rather than contemplating it ridiculously early and over analysing something which you have no control over...why don't you just wait and see?

By the way, Track probably won't update until about 7am-8am the next day, or maybe even a few hours later. It definitely won't be updated at the stroke of midnight, so please don't be up all night.

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably register later because I want to enjoy my holiday and not think about results right now.

ReputationRep:
    What is STEP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    What is STEP?
    STEP

It's very hard and very fun! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hashshashin)
    STEP

It's very hard and very fun! :yes:
    Ah, thank you. Sounds tricky ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple Rain)
    By the way, Track probably won't update until about 7am-8am the next day, or maybe even a few hours later. It definitely won't be updated at the stroke of midnight, so please don't be up all night.
    STEP results are released at midnight on the Cambridge Assessment website.

(Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    What is STEP?
    STEP is a very difficult maths exam taken at the end of Year 13, mostly by applicants for maths at Cambridge, and a few other top universities.

I was fairly happy with STEP III, but I feel STEP II will be very, very borderline. Although I'm hoping that 2,1 would have a chance in the pool, if the 2 is a good 2.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    A bit of an overreaction, don't you think? I mean, there's no obligation for you (or anyone) to read this thread is there? (And, for what it's worth, the OP is far from smug.)

(Original post by julija)
    I'll probably register later because I want to enjoy my holiday and not think about results right now.
    Ar kalbi lietuviškai?
    Do you speak Lithuanian?

Sorry, I just noticed the flag :p:

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Tempeststurm]STEP results are released at midnight on the Cambridge Assessment website.

Ah, my mistake.

ReputationRep:

Ah, my mistake.
    generally invective doesn't work if you apologise for it afterwards

ReputationRep:
    9 days ! :|
    What are my chances of getting 5 A ??

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    Good luck everyone
    Yeah this, forgot to mention. Do well, but not too well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.