Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    It's going from \mathbb{Z} to \mathbb{R} biatch!

2 days, 23 hours, 29 minutes and \left( 16 + \dfrac{23e\pi}{\sqrt{2}} \right) seconds ! :|
    if it's some other joke i don't get it as i don't get the previous
    so back to the subject
    *Ahem*, 3 MORE DAYS ! =\
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by FZka)
    if it's some other joke i don't get it as i don't get the previous
    so back to the subject
    *Ahem*, 3 MORE DAYS ! =\
    Well (and if you've done STEP you probably know this), \mathbb{N} is the set of natural numbers \{1, 2, 3, ...\} (sometimes including 0). You're counting down the number of days, and the assumption is that you'll stop counting when the day comes to pass. The joke about it going from \mathbb{N} to \mathbb{Z} is that \mathbb{Z} is the set of integers \{..., -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, ...\}, so you'd say when there were -1 days to go, -2 days to go and so on (and never stop). The joke about it going from \mathbb{Z} to \mathbb{R} (real numbers) is that now, instead of being discrete, it's continuous with infinitesimal precision.

ReputationRep:
    This thread has scared me from even thinking of doing Maths at Uni! Good luck people hope there are a bunch of O 1s and 2s to meet your offers!

ReputationRep:
    Bahh. I think I'll register, but not check my STEP results before checking my UCAS in the morning. There is no way seeing my results at midnight would make the next six hours any easier before I find out if I've got in.

I still feel uncertain about whether they'd still offer me a place for Computer Science with Nat Sci when they see I've messed up my STEP (which should be today, I think)... BAH.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    Although I'd argue on the precision of the time that you wrote in your post, compared to the time the post was made :tongue:
    Think of it as being the time when the post was started

(Original post by Econight)
    This thread has scared me from even thinking of doing Maths at Uni! Good luck people hope there are a bunch of O 1s and 2s to meet your offers!
    2s? 2s?! How dare you curse us in such a blatant manner?! I hope you mean Ss and 1s!

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering.. Does anyone think the SAQ theory could also apply at this stage?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Dialetheism)
    I was just wondering.. Does anyone think the SAQ theory could also apply at this stage?
    Probably not. Anyway, with so little time to go, what's the point of speculating on such dubious methods? You're going to find out in little over 72 hours :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have found my slip everyone! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I really hope so because I can still log in!

But agree with nuodai - this doesn't make me feel any more confident.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pimpin Juice)
    Congratulations, but you know it would probably have been easier to e-mail them and ask for your details?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by mikru)
    I still feel uncertain about whether they'd still offer me a place for Computer Science with Nat Sci when they see I've messed up my STEP (which should be today, I think)... BAH.
    It's almost definitely the case that STEP only applies to the "with Maths" part, so you'll still get in without it. What's the wording of your offer? Mine listed the A-level requirements and then says "In order to be able to undertake the with Mathematics first year option, you will also need to achieve grade 1 in STEP I and grade 1 in STEP II", which makes it fairly clear.

(Original post by Pimpin Juice)
    Your slip? The paper slip? The paper slip that doesn't exist because it's all online and the schools don't get our results until Wednesday? Or another slip?

EDIT: Oh, the slip with your logon details, not results! My bad. Woop woop

ReputationRep:
    It's almost definitely the case that STEP only applies to the "with Maths" part, so you'll still get in without it. What's the wording of your offer? Mine listed the A-level requirements and then says "In order to be able to undertake the with Mathematics first year option, you will also need to achieve grade 1 in STEP I and grade 1 in STEP II", which makes it fairly clear.
    That makes your situation nowhere near as scary!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by toasted-lion)
    That makes your situation nowhere near as scary!
    Indeed, but I would much prefer to be doing the Maths Tripos for half of the first year than to be doing Paper 3 PPS ("Introduction to psychology: society, interaction and the individual"), which is the only other option for me since I have no science A-levels. But yes, compared to all ye Cambridge/Warwick Mathmos, I have it easy.

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit I'm not massively affected by STEP as my place doesn't depend on it but it would be nice to get good results!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toasted-lion)
    Congratulations, but you know it would probably have been easier to e-mail them and ask for your details?
    Took me a great deal of creative thought. It was in my pencil case :o:

EDIT: Nay, the hunt was fun.

Your slip? The paper slip? The paper slip that doesn't exist because it's all online and the schools don't get our results until Wednesday? Or another slip?

EDIT: Oh, the slip with your logon details, not results! My bad. Woop woop
    Yes. I can register now :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    Probably not. Anyway, with so little time to go, what's the point of speculating on such dubious methods? You're going to find out in little over 72 hours :p:
    I know, I know, but 72 hours are such a long time for an impatient soul!
    ... I'm having nightmares every night now, in which I get rejected. How pathetic my subconscious is!

ReputationRep:
    I had a STEP dream!! I am worthy

Although it involved me getting a grade pi, which was apprently good?

ReputationRep:
    So irrational.

ReputationRep:
    So irrational.
    Welcome to TSR

and :no:

ReputationRep:
    I feel we need a punning contest.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.