Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Calling all people from Newcastle, JJB Fitness club Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm thinking of joining JJB Fitness club at North shields in Newcastle, just wondered if anyone can provide a list or quick summary of what the club provides? I can't check the place out as i'd like to at the moment due to being hundreds miles away..

Many Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I don't go to North Shields, I go to the one in Byker, but there are all the usual machines and free weights, then stuff like rope pulling machines.
    There's loads of free classes; spinning, yoga, pilates, boxercise etc. which you just need to book up for the day before.
    Then the 20m pool, 2 hot tubs and a steam room.

When you join you get a free session with a personal trainer as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    I don't go to North Shields, I go to the one in Byker, but there are all the usual machines and free weights, then stuff like rope pulling machines.
    There's loads of free classes; spinning, yoga, pilates, boxercise etc. which you just need to book up for the day before.
    Then the 20m pool, 2 hot tubs and a steam room.

When you join you get a free session with a personal trainer as well.
    I tried to use this google street on JJB Fitness club in Byker, all i get is an small house. Where about is JJB located in Byker? Within some shopping centres?

I hear Byker a rough place especially when it comes to crimes. True or False?

ReputationRep:
    Go to Ian Morgan's Powerhouse Gym (Dorian Yates Approved) in Hebburn.

...Or don't because you will be eaten by a 300lb bloke.

Don't know much about JJB fitness, think it's just a poncey health club to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2Av)
    I tried to use this google street on JJB Fitness club in Byker, all i get is an small house. Where about is JJB located in Byker? Within some shopping centres?

Google only takes you to the centre of the first half of the postcode.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2Av)

The residential area of Byker could be considered 'rough', but you wouldn't need to go through it to get to the gym. Areas around North Shields will be much worse (Percy Main and Meadowell).

There is no big crime problem, and certainly not knife or gun crime.

It is in this shopping park: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...12,167.39,,0,5

At the top right, you can't actually see it, and the other street isn't available on Street View.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If you are going to be in Newcastle, North Shields will be 9 miles away. If you are going to be in North Shields, drop me a line - I grew up there and my family and friends are still there - I can point you at what you need.

ReputationRep:
    The JJB in Byker isn't really in the proper Byker itself, so don't worry about crime and that. It's next to the shopping park with the TK Maxx and M&S. It's got a bit of a poser gym reputation as far as I've heard though.

You might want to check out the YMCA gym in North Shields. It's pretty much where everyone I know goes to use the free weights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    The residential area of Byker could be considered 'rough', but you wouldn't need to go through it to get to the gym. Areas around North Shields will be much worse (Percy Main and Meadowell).

There is no big crime problem, and certainly not knife or gun crime.

It is in this shopping park: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...12,167.39,,0,5

At the top right, you can't actually see it, and the other street isn't available on Street View.
    Thanks PJ, the link was useful.

As for the responses above, i'll hopefully check out JJB's in Byker and North Shield. Will have to get use to driving on UK roads.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.