Turn on thread page Beta

Is it worth forking out more money for en-suite? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Is it worth paying more money for en-suite?
    Yes.
    65.48%
    No.
    34.52%

ReputationRep:
    Of course, I am talking about living in HOR. What does everybody think? I'm voting yes...although I can see both arguments.

ReputationRep:
    not if you need the money

ReputationRep:
    I would say yes, but I just like my privacy, and I don't like having to wait to shower. I know people who didn't have an en-suite and got on fine, I am maybe just fussy. I am not looking forward to sharing 2 bathrooms between 7 of us in my house this year!

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the point really. You're going to have to share a bathroom once you move out of halls, so what's the difference?

Personally, coming from someone who actually applied for an ensuite room and didn't get one, I had no problem with a shared toilet and shower. Only twice throughout the year did I have to wait, and it ended up being much cleaner than an ensuite would have been (In bath at least, the toilets and showers are cleaned a few times a week, whereas you have to clean your own ensuite).

(Original post by lizk123)
    I would say yes, but I just like my privacy, and I don't like having to wait to shower. I know people who didn't have an en-suite and got on fine, I am maybe just fussy. I am not looking forward to sharing 2 bathrooms between 7 of us in my house this year!
    Count yourself lucky. We had 2 between 13 of us last year, and it was fine. This year, we have two toilets and one shower / bath between 4 of us.

ReputationRep:
    I just think of all the wonderfull things you can buy with all the extra money it would cost you. Is it worth it? mmm new guitar... i think id prefer that

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I couldn't afford ensuite [well, I could but I worked out it would leave me £5 a week for food, transport, books, fun lol] so opted for standard. Had no problems with it as I am used to sharing - managed successfully all these years at home.

Staying in standard halls next year too so it can't be that bad.

ReputationRep:
    I had one last year and whilst it was nice, it wasn't necessary since you don't use it all that often in the grand scheme of things. This year I'll hopefully be in accom which has a bathroom shared between two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Count yourself lucky. We had 2 between 13 of us last year, and it was fine. This year, we have two toilets and one shower / bath between 4 of us.
    I am just not used to it, but yes, I guess I am lucky. But I imagine the people I am living with will take forever in the bathroom, 7 girls in a house, that may have been a bad idea :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm definatley having ensuite bathroom, I love my privacey and not sharing

ReputationRep:
    Personally I used to think yes. But this year I had a bit of a change of mind, and it depends how much extra they cost. My halls ensuite costs £15 a week more than standard. To me this £15 would be more useful in my pocket.
    If you can easily afford it and you like privacy by all means go for it. However if your not too bothered and the money could be used better elsewhere, then no.

ReputationRep:
    As a girl who gets chronic cystitis i've applied for one, i would feel harsh on my other housemates as i would be hogging the bathroom all the time haha. If your a guy i wouldn't bother.

ReputationRep:
    As a girl who gets chronic cystitis i've applied for one, i would feel harsh on my other housemates as i would be hogging the bathroom all the time haha. If your a guy i wouldn't bother.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    i hate my laptop so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizk123)
    I am just not used to it, but yes, I guess I am lucky. But I imagine the people I am living with will take forever in the bathroom, 7 girls in a house, that may have been a bad idea :P
    fair enough :p:
    I'm with 2 other guys and one girl, so it shouldn't be too bad for us. Though I'm not sure how lovely its going to be for her haha . Wonder if you're reading Becky :p:

ReputationRep:
    IMO, it's way worth it. I hate sharing.

ReputationRep:
    Well let's see, I shared a bathroom with 4 people for 20 years, what's the matter with 10ppl and two showers?

I personally have better things to spent money on.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's worth it - after all, how much time do you spend in the lavatory? (This is, incidentally, a rhetorical question - I don't want to actually hear answers)

Anyway, if you've got a sink in your room, just piss in that like a proper student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PirateFlag)
    i hate my laptop so much.
    :rofl:

I enjoyed that.

ReputationRep:
    So worth it. Waking up every morning and rolling into your own shower - don't have to wait for anyone else or deal with other people's mess or run down a freezing corridor in your towel. It just makes life so much easier. A lot of the time people left the shared showers in a mess, at least you can just deal with your own with ensuite.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.