Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it worth forking out more money for en-suite? Watch

• View Poll Results: Is it worth paying more money for en-suite?
    Yes.
    65.48%
    No.
    34.52%

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for all en suite, mainly because there was like £5 difference between shared and en suite, plus I generally get a nicer room with the en suite - so money well spent.

ReputationRep:
    100x yes

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's worth it. I hate sharing things, especially a bathroom.

ReputationRep:
    en suite is for people who are cry babies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    :rofl:

I enjoyed that.
    I'm glad someone did! I'm so close to throwing this thing out of the window, although the sheer bulkiness of it might kill someone if it hit them on the head.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Not unless you have a medical reason.

I was in shared residence, I had to wait for the shower two or three times in the entire year, same for the loo (there were two on our floor, and if all else failed I could go downstairs).

They are cleaned daily by the cleaner so they're not disgusting; I stayed at a mates who had an en-suite occasionally, and it was filthy cos he never cleaned it!

You get your own sink anyway so it's not really a huge problem; at least, I never regretted it, not once.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd say yeah. First year you don't know what kind of flatmates you'll get so they could be the type who leaves a **** in the bowl and doesn't flush.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I would pay extra for the ensuite, in fact I did. It was awesome.

I miss that shower so very much.

ReputationRep:
    Ensuite is not worth it. I shared one shower between 12 people in halls and had no problems. No mess. Its a shower, people go in there naked and come out naked and it gets cleaned often by staff so its not like you have to do it yourself....how much mess could there possibly be? Its not like sharing a kitchen at all. The toilets weren't a problem either, as they were also regularly cleaned and people in my flat were pretty good with putting toilet roll etc in there, it was surprising.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends but my friend started a year earlier and she had to share 1 bathroom and 2 toilets between 8! No thank you! I'm paying en-suite in September and it's worth it (If I didn't have my own i'd go crazy I don't even share at home!) So in a nutshell yes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    First year you don't know what kind of flatmates you'll get so they could be the type who leaves a **** in the bowl and doesn't flush.
    My thoughts exactly.

ReputationRep:
    My other motivations for picking shared [apart from cost and the fact I don't mind sharing] was that the standard rooms are bigger and the ensuites don't seem to be very nice with a tiny shower/wetroom thing etc. I don't mind cleaning but having someone clean the shower and toilet and replace the toilet roll is always good too, especially when you are skint lol.

ReputationRep:
    No chance, i'm going to spend the extra money on a nice shiny new (old) guitar.

Question is Gibson les Paul or 335?

ReputationRep:
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

no, definitely not.

ReputationRep:
    If I was going to any Uni outside of London then yes, but I decided that £30 a week could be better spent on other things in London!

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, for the privacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by menagerie)
    So worth it. Waking up every morning and rolling into your own shower - don't have to wait for anyone else or deal with other people's mess or run down a freezing corridor in your towel. It just makes life so much easier. A lot of the time people left the shared showers in a mess, at least you can just deal with your own with ensuite.
    One of the main reasons why I so badly want en-suite (for next year anyways)!

ReputationRep:
    It depends how much extra it is. I'm personally opting for no en-suite, because I'm taking the overall size and location of the room into account over whether or not I'll have to wait for the shower twice a year.

ReputationRep:
    en-suite are really not worth paying the extra money for at all, its a rip off really, you end up paying what £30+ extra a week to have a loo and a shower in your room, you don't live in your shower, you spend what 10-30mins in the shower, not in the loo all day

my first year we shared the shower and loo, and if really not bad, they are cleaned everyday and don't get that dirty, plus shared halls somewhat seem more social then en-suite halls

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.