Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite confused when it comes to suicide in Catholicism. I have quite a few catholic friends and some say it's okay only if the person is going through quite a lot of hardship and suffering and this impairs their ability to reason, while others say that it is wrong in any aspect as it is a mortal sin. :erm:

Clarify please. :cute:

EDIT: Okay.

Ok, what about in a zombie apocalypse where you've been bitten and you kill yourself instead of turning into a zombie and killing other people? Mortal sin?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware it's a sin.

ReputationRep:
    In Catholic teaching suicide is a mortal sin because it doesn't respect the gift of life, However, a sin can only be mortal if it is done willfully. Modern Catholic understanding says that due to the hardship and suffering it's not a mortal sin; however it is only God who is able to say.

ReputationRep:
    Suicide=Go to Hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    I'm quite confused when it comes to suicide in Catholicism. I have quite a few catholic friends and some say it's okay only if the person is going through quite a lot of hardship and suffering and this impairs their ability to reason, while others say that it is wrong in any aspect as it is a mortal sin. :erm:

Clarify please. :cute:
    Not according to the Catholic Church. Appartly you go to hell or libibo (as a inbetween of heaven and hell) according to them. The Church is totally pro-life... therefore it's seen as a sin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thethinker)
    In Catholic teaching suicide is a mortal sin because it doesn't respect the gift of life, However, a sin can only be mortal if it is done willfully. Modern Catholic understanding says that due to the hardship and suffering it's not a mortal sin; however it is only God who is able to say.
    This, OP. Your life would have to be at the point for you to be no longer considered responsible for your actions.

ReputationRep:
    From memory it is a mortal sin, unless the person wasn't in their right mind. I think its to separate those killing themselves to ease pain, and those who are strongly depressed. It is a bit of a dodgy subject to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, what about in a zombie apocalypse where you've been bitten and you kill yourself instead of turning into a zombie and killing other people? Mortal sin?

ReputationRep:
    It's a mortal sin, but I don't think most people have much regard for dogmas nowadays anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Everything's a sin to the Catholics.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. The zombies are just God testing your will.

ReputationRep:
    Purgatory.

ReputationRep:
    It's always wrong because God wants you to suffer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vander Beth)
    Purgatory.
    So any sin is dealt with by the means of purgatory?

ReputationRep:
    No. Venial sins (lesser sins)= sent to purgatory
    Mortal sins (grave sins) = hell

IMPORTANT NOTE: you have to willfully do the sin so hardship and suffering makes it venial. Also it says that only God can know.

ReputationRep:
    suicide = purgatory.

ReputationRep:
    I was just joking, but I think my answer might still be fair. Purgatory is an idea that isn't popular with some in the modern Catholic Church anymore, but it is the either thought as a process or physical place for the soul to become pure before it can enter heaven. Mortal sinners go to hell, but say a baby who has committed no sin but was not baptized goes to purgatory. A zombie suicide would mean you were in the right mind, but you were trying to save others, so I'm not sure. I think some people teach that the people who commit suicide who were not in their right mind go to purgatory first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thethinker)
    This pretty much sums it up.

ReputationRep:
    People here don't know what they're talking about (apart from those who quoted me ) so here's the Cathecism.

Suicide
    2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him.
    It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life.
    We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls.
    We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us.
    It is not ours to dispose of.

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life.
    It is gravely contrary to the just love of self.
    It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations.
    Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal.
    Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.
    Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

http://www.christusrex.org/www1/CDHN/fifth.html#HUMAN

ReputationRep:

yep still a mortal sin. realistic possibilities like this one are not considered by the catholic church.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.