Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if it is possible for someone to master mathematics just from using wikipedia ...

ReputationRep:
    No. Espically since most of wikipedia is rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone in the history of mankind has ever "mastered mathematics", regardless of what study methods and help they used. So...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Nah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Nah.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    I don't think anyone in the history of mankind has ever "mastered mathematics", regardless of what study methods and help they used. So...
    People who have a MMath have a masters of mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt it. Just buy a decent textbook.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's way too disjointed to try and do something like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    People who have a MMath have a masters of mathematics.

Ohh dayumm

ReputationRep:
    If you're really asking this question, you probably won't understand much of what Wikipedia says. As others have said, get a few textbooks and start from there.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I wanna be a maths master! Gotta catch 'em all!

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, the problem comes when you want to learn differential topology. I'm pretty sure five paragraph can't teach you the subject.

P.S. I didn't know there was something called differential topology, I wonder what that is.

ReputationRep:
    No, because wikipedia's aim is not to explain things but to write about them (though if there is one thing in particular you dont understand, you can go on the discussion bit and ask).

ReputationRep:
    No, regardless of what your definition of mastering mathematics is. Wikipedia serves a useful function to give you a rough overview of something or give you an alternative perspective but I wouldn't really recommend learning vast chunks of mathematics from wikipedia.

ReputationRep:
    Adding to the list of noooooooo

ReputationRep:
    yes

(just to be different)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I find most of the time that i cna only really, fully understand what wikipedia is talking about on certain maths topics once I've properly learnt about them from internet revision sites/lessons/textbooks.

I wouldn't recommend it tbh lol.

But it is possible for someone to learnt a crap load of mathematics off wikipedia because some people have learnt loads of languages by themselvs and w/e. But nah, not an average joe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallon)
    I find most of the time that i cna only really, fully understand what wikipedia is talking about on certain maths topics once I've properly learnt about them from internet revision sites/lessons/textbooks.

I wouldn't recommend it tbh lol.

But it is possible for someone to learnt a crap load of mathematics off wikipedia because some people have learnt loads of languages by themselvs and w/e. But nah, not an average joe.
    so a clever person can?? (not suggesting i am one)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    so a clever person can?? (not suggesting i am one)
    if everything on wiki was correct which i doubt it is

ReputationRep:
    No, because the way wikipedia is done is not to lead your through the topic in a way that you can pick it up and use it, but to explain it and show who it comes from and give you a helluva lot of equations that you won't know how to use. You could probably learn facts about lots of different topic, but the actual application of things like differentiation, exponentials, whatever else, you won't be able to learn. Use a textbook

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.