Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wikipedia isn't sufficient for learning a subject in a scholarly fashion and nor is it meant to be. The organisation of the website and its articles, and indeed the structure within each article, is wholly inappropriate for thorough learning.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    so a clever person can?? (not suggesting i am one)

well i suppose... but i really meant that freakishly genius people have taught themselves maths and different languages from resources a lot worse than wikipedia, like off the radui ir by counting anything they see and realising pattens and stuff. What was it? I think some guy hundreds of years ago calculated the escape velocity from the Earth before the idea of rockets and things were invented just because he found a lot of stuff out and just used his genius lol. Can't remember his name but I remember my maths teacher yeeeaaarrs ago told me that he was totally self taught.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallon)
    well i suppose... but i really meant that freakishly genius people have taught themselves maths and different languages from resources a lot worse than wikipedia, like off the radui ir by counting anything they see and realising pattens and stuff. What was it? I think some guy hundreds of years ago calculated the escape velocity from the Earth before the idea of rockets and things were invented just because he found a lot of stuff out and just used his genius lol. Can't remember his name but I remember my maths teacher yeeeaaarrs ago told me that he was totally self taught.
    Reminds me of Ramanujam:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i actually watched good will hunting a few days ago...

Technically, Wikipedia has several sister projects such as Wikibooks and Wikiversity which are more suited to teaching things like textbooks do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Am Herenow)
    Technically, Wikipedia has several sister projects such as Wikibooks and Wikiversity which are more suited to teaching things like textbooks do.
    wikiversity looks quite helpful.. thanks

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me of Ramanujan:rolleyes:
    He's not a food :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Reminds me of Ramanujam:rolleyes:
    I don't know if it was Ramanujan or not because I was told this in like year 8????

and even if it was I'm so very sorry I didn't ask at the time because now my knowledge of mathematicians is obviously below your par.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if it was Ramanujan or not because I was told this in like year 8????

and even if it was I'm so very sorry I didn't ask at the time because now my knowledge of mathematicians is obviously below your par.
    Ramanujan was a pure mathematician. So no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeiou81)
    He's not a food :rolleyes:
    I don't know, Ramanujam sounds quite tasty. I bet he did some delicious maths.

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    I don't know, Ramanujam sounds quite tasty. I bet he did some delicious maths.
    Didn't he prove the Jam Sandwich Theorem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Didn't he prove the Jam Sandwich Theorem?
    nice.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Ramanujan was a pure mathematician. So no.

okay great.

What are you doing with that signature btw? I just read it and my first thought was that it's a huge backfire. I think it's a lot more brilliant if you at least try to keep some composure and at least not seem bothered. Or at least confident.

ReputationRep:
    okay great.

What are you doing with that signature btw? I just read it and my first thought was that it's a huge backfire. I think it's a lot more brilliant if you at least try to keep some composure and at least not seem bothered. Or at least confident.
    I didn't type that. I just put it up there for fun.

ReputationRep:
    nop

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.