The Student Room Group

Saturday Job

I begin at Uni in September, living about an hours train ride from home. I have also recently began a decently paid Saturday job. My parents seem to be keen on me retaining the job whilst I am at Uni, whereas I think it will be a bit distracting to getting settled in, given that it will require me leaving University every Friday night.
From experience, what does everybody think?
yeah a bit of extra money does help and it gives you some more work experience
Reply 2
It won't affect your actual university work but it may affect your social life. It's up to you but I'd be wary of having every weekend tied up by work...
what is it you're doing?

No possibility of working from home?
You could always just see how it goes for a few weeks. If you find it too hard to keep up, you could always see if there is anything closer to your university.
Reply 5
cant you just get a train every saturday morning? i can imagine it being a bit of a hassle but you're going to need the extra money! on the other hand, you could keep your job for a couple of months while looking for one closer to uni.
won't the cost of getting the train home every weekend, sort of cancel out it being a well paid job, uni wise you won't miss out on the education side, but you may miss out on a lot of social stuff
My sister had a job at home when she was at uni and it wasn't a problem.
She always did a lot of extra hours over holidays, so it does mean that you won't be worrying about working a lot during term-time and can focus on uni work instead.
Reply 8
Can't you get a job at the place where you're going to uni?
Reply 9
omg this applies exactly to me.. i found a job expecting it just as a summer job and was planning to leave it when i go to uni, i am enjoying it and it has good pay, i work every saturday aswell and my family is telling me to keep it and come down because i also will be only a hour away from home..i just don't want to be tied every saturday especially in my first year
forever_dreamer
You could always just see how it goes for a few weeks. If you find it too hard to keep up, you could always see if there is anything closer to your university.

This
If the job and the money makes it worth while then carry on. As other people have said see how it goes for a couple of weeks and if it gets too much or you feel you are missing out on too much then quit or ask to be transferred if possible!

Try and make sure you explain to your boss the situation. Butter him up a bit and say you don't want to quit or let them down but you will need to ensure that they understand what you are doing and the situation so that if you want time off etc then they should understand!

Latest

Trending

Trending