Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, as you all know we've got roughly 6 weeks to uni now, and I am totally unsure how to spend that time in regards to fitness. I have started rugby training for a local team, that know I am going away, but are more than willing for me to participate, and it looks as though I am most suited to second row.

Now, here is where the confusion sets in. For these positions, you need (or at least I want) to be a big mofo who can match the other forwards and push over the backs. Now I'm taller than most people I know at just under 6ft 2 inches with my shoes on, and I weigh a measly 13 stone and 3 lbs. This is because I spent alot of time last year lowering my body fat percentage from something ridiculous like 30% (weighing 19 stone) down to around the 19% it is now, as well as dramatically increasing my fitness level.

Part of me wants to build muscle now so that I can better compete for those positions in university (I intend to join their rugby team) and bring something decent to the scrum, but the other part of me stops wanting to be a fat ass who would be ashamed to be topless on a beach, as you can see from the pics below:

Spoiler:
    Show

Now most people I know say I should stop worrying about begin fat (or even saying I'm not, which plainly isn't true and just annoys me) and put on muscle, not only because it would help with rugby but because it is so much more enjoyable.

At the moment I'm to afraid of going either way, do I slim down but continue to be a scrawny guy at the gym, or do I bulk up but continue to have a high body fat percentage (perhaps making it worse)?

Right now I'm eating 2000 calories a day on nothing specific, doing the workouts from starting strength every other day and cycling/HIIT on the days off (although admittedly as of the last 2 weeks I've been pretty lazy) and as you'd expect I'm getting nowhere fast, please give me your honest brutal opinions!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    How about eliminating a lot of your carb and fat intake? That might work for reducing your body fat. You could still eat quite a lot of protein though and lift weights to maintain muscle.

But Im a novice on these matters.

ReputationRep:
    Do what you feel comfortable with.
    Would you rather bulk up or become lean?

I suggest bulking up.
    Also, you are not fat. You have excess fat and skin, like most people who have lost alot of weight.

I've never agrred with calorie intakes, they annoy me and i find them dangerous to most people.
    Eat healthy, its easy and you know whats healthy and what isn't.
    Eat what you want, but in smaller portions.
    Do alot more training at the gym, don't let yourself have lazy days, even force yourself to just get out for a walk or something, then you'll feel more energetic and willing to do more.

Hope everything goes well.

ReputationRep:
    I'd build some serious muscle to fill out the loose skin. Bulk up, get strong, dominate the pitch and enjoy it.

I don't see the point in you losing weight at all. It's not useful. You'll have the excess skin issue and you'll be skinny and weaker. Bulking up doesn't mean becoming a fat-ass. Eat big, but lift some heavy ass weight doing squats, deadlifts and presses.

What are your lifts like now?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Playing second row at under 6''2? Unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I'd build some serious muscle to fill out the loose skin. Bulk up, get strong, dominate the pitch and enjoy it.

I don't see the point in you losing weight at all. It's not useful. You'll have the excess skin issue and you'll be skinny and weaker. Bulking up doesn't mean becoming a fat-ass. Eat big, but lift some heavy ass weight doing squats, deadlifts and presses.

What are your lifts like now?
    Well I don't know what my one rep max are, but I can manage:

3 sets of 6 reps of 95kg on the squat rack (my legs don't give in, but the but my shoudlers and neck don't like that weight resting on them, even if I make them really tight)

3 sets of 6 reps of 60kg on the bench press (that's a 30kg dumbbell in each hand, I don't like the barbell version, its too risky without a spotter)

5 reps of a 90kg dead lift (where I just about maintain form)

3x5 30kg overhead press

3x5 35kg explosive bent over rows (though I can do it in one hand if I use a dumbbell for each arm and not a barbell)

As you can see I have a lot of room to improve, particularly in my shoulders. Also, most of these are estimates, since I don't know how much the actual barbell weighs, but I added 10kg to the total weight of the plates I use (i.e 4x20kg plates and 2x2.5kg plates on the squat the last item I went, making it 85kg, +10 for the barbell, so 95kg )

So, if I was to eat 3500 calories a day and add 5kgs (2 2.5kg plates, the smallest) to each compound exercise every time I go, Will that set me on the right path? I also like to finish with as many dips and pull ups I can manage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Burge)
    Playing second row at under 6''2? Unlikely.
    Yea that's what I thought but everyone around here is short xD, maybe ill end up somewhere else, but I want to be a forward at any rate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atal)
    Well I don't know what my one rep max are, but I can manage:

3 sets of 6 reps of 95kg on the squat rack (my legs don't give in, but the but my shoudlers and neck don't like that weight resting on them, even if I make them really tight)

3 sets of 6 reps of 60kg on the bench press (that's a 30kg dumbbell in each hand, I don't like the barbell version, its too risky without a spotter)

5 reps of a 90kg dead lift (where I just about maintain form)

3x5 30kg overhead press

3x5 35kg explosive bent over rows (though I can do it in one hand if I use a dumbbell for each arm and not a barbell)

As you can see I have a lot of room to improve, particularly in my shoulders. Also, most of these are estimates, since I don't know how much the actual barbell weighs, but I added 10kg to the total weight of the plates I use (i.e 4x20kg plates and 2x2.5kg plates on the squat the last item I went, making it 85kg, +10 for the barbell, so 95kg )

So, if I was to eat 3500 calories a day and add 5kgs (2 2.5kg plates, the smallest) to each compound exercise every time I go, Will that set me on the right path? I also like to finish with as many dips and pull ups I can manage
    Try a proper routine like WS4SB or Starting Strength. It can take you far. You'll fill out nicely, but more importantly, you'll get stronger and faster. Most guys recommend WS4SB if you're doing a sport.

ReputationRep:
    Bulk up man. Spend the next 2/3 years putting on muscle to fill up the loose skin. The whole point is to bulk up at first putting on slightly fat and then going on a cut to lose that fat. You'll look just fine once you get some muscle on. That loose skin won't exist.

ReputationRep:
    Right, I have started that West side for skinny *******s routine as of today, and am aiming to eat around 3000 (healthy) calories, that should suffice. To be honest though, I am petrified of gaining fat again, I can see this not going as well as I hoped and putting on alot more fat than muscle, so I will continue to do HIIT to see if I can limit that gain in any way I can

ReputationRep:
    You won't put on fat my friend, don't worry :P I was worried about that when I started aswell and even though my diet was a bit off when I started, my fat started melting away and was replaced by muscle. Legs for example, when sitting down they would jiggle if I tapped them, now they're stiff as hell because of the muscle.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is different. I did 3,000 clean for a month and gained fat. Nothing to do with how hard you train, more down to how your body works.

ReputationRep:
    6'2", 3000kcal seems like barely maintenance when training. :/

I'd seriously be looking at more calories, especially if you're trying to do HIIT at the same time. See how it goes I suppose. If you're not gaining weight or not able to increase strength then back off the HIIT and up the calories.

Be intense with your training; go all out but don't be stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    6'2", 3000kcal seems like barely maintenance when training. :/

I'd seriously be looking at more calories, especially if you're trying to do HIIT at the same time. See how it goes I suppose. If you're not gaining weight or not able to increase strength then back off the HIIT and up the calories.

Be intense with your training; go all out but don't be stupid.
    Are you sure? I practically have to force-feed myself to get to 3000k, I guess my appetite has diminished after all this time xD, and as I said before I'm worried about the fat side of it... perhaps I should just eat like a machine and see how I am in 3 weeks, then decide whether to back off or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atal)
    Are you sure? I practically have to force-feed myself to get to 3000k, I guess my appetite has diminished after all this time xD, and as I said before I'm worried about the fat side of it... perhaps I should just eat like a machine and see how I am in 3 weeks, then decide whether to back off or not
    Well, I probably wouldn't go crazy on the eating for a few weeks. Wait until things start getting really ******* heavy then start eating. The first week or so is usually light and you're easing into a new routine. Once it's heavy, EAT. But if you can get by on 3000kcal and still recover and get stronger each heavy session, then it might be okay. But you probably won't grow as much and you'd be more likely to make bigger gains if you ate around 4000kcal roughly.

Remember though, dietary fat doesn't make body fat. So don't be afraid to drink whole milk and eat lots of burgers and peanut butter. If you're struggling to eat enough calories, this is what you do. A 'clean' bulk is overrated according to most strength and power athletes. That's the consensus from the big and strong dudes anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.