Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Carl)
    yeah you can use app scraper to get free apps:

Oh you!

I'll send whoever asked a PM if I'm feeling nice later on.

EDIT: nah, decided not to.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    HTC Desire should arrive on Saturday

Will be using it alongside an iPhone; I look forward to seeing which is actually best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    yeah you can use app scraper to get free apps:

nice, how do you create barcodes like that?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here using the 3000mAh fat battery on their Hero? I started using it on mine since tuesday- decided to get it since the battery life on the original was pretty dismal on mine. Starting with full charge, its been almost 54 hours- with both wifi and mobile data on, been texting a lot, few calls and use the internet, downloaded 4-5 apps....and its only gone down to 40% of battery life :eek:
    Only downside is- had to say goodbye to the slimness of my hero- but I think I'm getting used to it anyways

(Original post by biffyclyro27)
    nice, how do you create barcodes like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.K.B)
    Anyone here using the 3000mAh fat battery on their Hero? I started using it on mine since tuesday- decided to get it since the battery life on the original was pretty dismal on mine. Starting with full charge, its been almost 54 hours- with both wifi and mobile data on, been texting a lot, few calls and use the internet, downloaded 4-5 apps....and its only gone down to 40% of battery life :eek:
    Only downside is- had to say goodbye to the slimness of my hero- but I think I'm getting used to it anyways
    This?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    thanks, no I can't say I have ever heard the name. I just thought they were a different kind of barcode...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    This?
    Yup.

ReputationRep:
    OK, so I've just been checking out the Nexus One - which Vodafone still sell - and I'm now seriously considering switching to Android. I LOVE my iPhone 4, but there's something about Android that is becoming more and more attractive. However:

1) Is the best Android phone on the market in the UK really the Desire? I think it's as ugly as hell, and vs the iPhone 4 it just doesn't seem to compare.

2) How good is the Nexus One? The capacitive buttons seem to be a little unpredictable, while the pre-loaded skin is pretty rubbish. I'm not sure how much difference there is in the resolution - which is still pretty high on the N1 - and how does video/camera compare between the two phones?

3) I've rely very heavily on iTunes, so is there an easy way to transfer music from my Mac to an Android device? As far as I can tell, it seems quite complicated.

Also, can the music player be changed? None are as attractive or useable as Apple's from what I've seen.

4) How much flexibility is there in customisation? Obviously people say this is one of the big features but, for example, could I install the HTC Legend widget theme? Also, how the hell do you update your phone? It seems INCREDIBLY complicated...

Erm, I can't really think of anything else to ask at the moment. If there is, I'll post.

Bare in mind you're trying to sell me Android, so don't be too biased.

Thanks!

EDIT: I've also been looking at the HTC Legend, which seems much nicer looking/to use than the N1.

ReputationRep:
    Anyones Hero been updated with Android 2.1 yet?

(Original post by JonCha)
    OK, so I've just been checking out the Nexus One - which Vodafone still sell - and I'm now seriously considering switching to Android. I LOVE my iPhone 4, but there's something about Android that is becoming more and more attractive. However:

1) Is the best Android phone on the market in the UK really the Desire? I think it's as ugly as hell, and vs the iPhone 4 it just doesn't seem to compare.

2) How good is the Nexus One? The capacitive buttons seem to be a little unpredictable, while the pre-loaded skin is pretty rubbish. I'm not sure how much difference there is in the resolution - which is still pretty high on the N1 - and how does video/camera compare between the two phones?

3) I've rely very heavily on iTunes, so is there an easy way to transfer music from my Mac to an Android device? As far as I can tell, it seems quite complicated.

Also, can the music player be changed? None are as attractive or useable as Apple's from what I've seen.

4) How much flexibility is there in customisation? Obviously people say this is one of the big features but, for example, could I install the HTC Legend widget theme? Also, how the hell do you update your phone? It seems INCREDIBLY complicated...

Erm, I can't really think of anything else to ask at the moment. If there is, I'll post.

Bare in mind you're trying to sell me Android, so don't be too biased.

Thanks!

EDIT: I've also been looking at the HTC Legend, which seems much nicer looking/to use than the N1.
    1) Desire and Nexus share the same hardware specs. The only differences are that the Desire runs SenseUI and lacks the noise cancellation mic of the Nexus 1.

2) The Nexus 1 is a good phone. There is nothing else to it. The capacitive buttons are apparently slightly higher than they should be but I guess you'd get used to it..

3) It's not complicated.. You just drag and drop music to the phone :erm:
    There are plenty of music players on the Android Market, I'm sure you'd find one to suit you. Personally I love the HTC music player..

4) If you mean install the Legend widgets onto the N1 then no, not exactly. There is a app/widget collection on the Market called Beautiful Widgets that allows you to theme close to the widgets but not exactly the same.
    You could always hack your N1 and install the SenseUI ROM of the Desire onto it, though
    Updating you phone with the N1 should just be OTA(over the air) AFAIK. You will be notified on your phone and will select yes or no to download/install. Simple as that.
    With HTC devices they release a program called an RUU (Windows only, sorry) that installs it from a computer, very easy again. HTC may have changed this for the Desire/Legend but the Hero is RUU only.
    Or you can always hack it and install custom ROMs/early updates, but you seem to want the simple methods so this may not be ideal.

Legend has a smaller screen and smaller resolution than the N1, just something else to consider.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonCha)
    I sold my Nexus One to get an iPhone 4. The entire time I had the N1 I was frustrated with the keyboard. I haven't made so many typos using a virtual keyboard ever. It's a nice phone don't get me wrong, but I definitely now prefer the iPhone having experienced both.

ReputationRep:
    Still waiting for the HTC Wildfire. Apparently Vodafone are completely out of stock and have been since about the 10th of July. They did tell me that it wasn't in stock when I ordered, but not that they are actually having problems getting hold of them, and it seems that people who ordered online weren't told it was out of stock. Also, people who upgraded to it have had their price plan increased without actually getting hold of a new phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    I sold my Nexus One to get an iPhone 4. The entire time I had the N1 I was frustrated with the keyboard. I haven't made so many typos using a virtual keyboard ever. It's a nice phone don't get me wrong, but I definitely now prefer the iPhone having experienced both.
    Out of curiosity, did you try an alternative input methods?

I find Swype is very good, there are others available.

ReputationRep:
    Good news for Hero owners can be found here.

Think I'll wait for a full release, but it's sounding promising! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Out of curiosity, did you try an alternative input methods?

I find Swype is very good, there are others available.
    Yeah I did. I tried Swype, but I could never really get the hang of it. There was another one similar to Swype that I tried too, but it just wasn't for me.

ReputationRep:
    Damned dilemma.

HTC Legend or Desire?

I was going to get Legend because of price and aesthetics. But now my uncle said he'll get me a new phone, price doesn't figure in the comparisons anymore.

So should I ask for Legend (Aesthetics) or Desire (Specs)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil' Flo)
    Damned dilemma.

HTC Legend or Desire?

I was going to get Legend because of price and aesthetics. But now my uncle said he'll get me a new phone, price doesn't figure in the comparisons anymore.

So should I ask for Legend (Aesthetics) or Desire (Specs)?
    The Desire is pretty damn aesthetically pleasing IMO, although the Legend is mouthwateringly so.

ReputationRep:
    When is android 3.0 going to be out? When will it be on phones, and will it be any good? Just wondering

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.