Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ^whats the point if you're on contract? I have unlimited texts anyway (although I usually average around 50 a month). I use a lot of google services but Gtalk isn't one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markuk99)
    Orange disable google talk from your phone. Basically they sell the phone as an android phone (which comes as standard with google talk) except they remove it from the phone and prevent you from using it. Basically misselling a product.

I would take it back within your 14 days and get the phone from any other phone operator.

Gtalk is great btw.. its always on, built into the system, and is just like receiving and sending free text messages. When my mate sends me a gtalk message it pops up on the notification bar just like a normal sms.

If you really want to keep orange.. you will have to reflash your phone and invalidate the warranty, just to use the features you were sold.
    returning it is not really an option. i'm not on an Orange SIM and i'm not even in the UK atm. the phone was bought for me and so I won't know exactly when it was purchased. I wouldn't want to return it anyway.
    I'm guessing the person that got it for me unlocked the phone and chucked the SIM shortly after purchase and then brought it over to me. A roundabout method but still, an awesome end result
    How would I reflash the phone and how exactly does that work? Btw, is the warranty you are referring to provided by HTC or Orange?

when I get back in 2 weeks time, I'll probably switch to a 3 SIM

EDIT: I've managed to get GTalk back on the phone. Now to find Skype...

ReputationRep:
    Wait for Froyo is slowing killing me though I know it can't be more than 38hrs away.

In other news my Desire keeps reseting itself and it's driving me insane.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Upgraded through Orange yesterday to the Desire. I usually jump on the bandwagon at a much later date than I should have done.

Had a 30 day notice on my contract so they rang me yesterday to see what would get me to stay.

HTC Desire on an 18 month contract at £21 a month isn't bad at all, I can downgrade to £16 a month too if I don't find I am using some of the bundles. Phone cost £50, but overall an excellent deal.

ReputationRep:
    I'm using wireless tether to get an internet connection because I have no internet in my new house and it works great! I'm absolutely steaming through my data though :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    I'm using wireless tether to get an internet connection because I have no internet in my new house and it works great! I'm absolutely steaming through my data though :s:
    I did this too when I moved and yeah, it works really well. Gotta stay away from iPlayer and Youtube though eh?

ReputationRep:
    How does HTCs built in wired thethering work? I can't seem to work it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    How does HTCs built in wired thethering work? I can't seem to work it.
    This might help:
    http://www.htc.com/europe/howto.aspx...ype=1&p_id=312

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    This might help:
    http://www.htc.com/europe/howto.aspx...ype=1&p_id=312
    Didn't realise you needed HTC Sync

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)

Thanks.
    Nor did I until I googled it for you :P:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by G8D)

Thanks.
    N00b

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    N00b
    I'm too used to Wireless Tether for Root

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I'm too used to Wireless Tether for Root
    This. Less hassle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    This. Less hassle.
    Cronos kernal doesn't seem to support it D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Cronos kernal doesn't seem to support it D:
    Which version you using? I'm running kernel 2.6.29-25 with Cronos Droid 2.0.2 and it works fine.

ReputationRep:
    Which version you using? I'm running kernel 2.6.29-25 with Cronos Droid 2.0.2 and it works fine.
    Same kernal, same ROM..

"Sorry, but your kernal does not have the necessary features for tethering..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Same kernal, same ROM..

"Sorry, but your kernal does not have the necessary features for tethering..."
    :lolwut:

Works absolutely fine here. Just tested it... Hmmmm.... Do you have any other problems with root access?

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

Works absolutely fine here. Just tested it... Hmmmm.... Do you have any other problems with root access?
    None at all :erm:

Maybe I'll flash the more recent ROM.. 2.1.2 is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    None at all :erm:

Maybe I'll flash the more recent ROM.. 2.1.2 is it?
    It is. I'd probably do a full wipe if I were you. I keep getting gapps FCing on mine. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    So i've just got back from holiday and my hero has kind of died................

I turned off 3g with apndroid, and turned off the conect to mobile network thing whilst on holiday to make sure that i wouldn't be charged for anything and i stuck to using wifi for the week that i was away. Back in england i have turned everything on however i've found that my phone now refuses to pick up 3g at all :s: Also the phone is very very slow sometimes - it can be so bad that i can't even phone people, i go through the phone book and press call and nothing will happen :s:

help reps for help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.