Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    samsung galaxy s i want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Solid, stable and at 690Mhz, blindingly fast. Must bear in mind that there is no Sense UI at all (Launcher Pro is the default home on Cronos Froyo) and native JIT support, so it's no surprise.

All hardware seems fine, camera apps open much, much quicker.
    You can have Sense UI on it though, as my mate has (with his Hero). I thought he had Villain, I can't be sure, but it's definitely customisable.

Aside from that: I'm now developing Apps for Android, and hopefully employing a couple of people in the next few weeks on a contractual basis. It's been a doss so far......

Just need the ideas....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    I have a month until mine is out of warranty and I can flash it
    Just root it, far easier, and gives you super user permission. I thought about doing the same thing at one point; absolutely no point though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Né Stig)
    You can have Sense UI on it though, as my mate has (with his Hero). I thought he had Villain, I can't be sure, but it's definitely customisable.

Aside from that: I'm now developing Apps for Android, and hopefully employing a couple of people in the next few weeks on a contractual basis. It's been a doss so far......

Just need the ideas....
    I would love a Plurk app

ReputationRep:

Just need the ideas....
    Nice.

Good work on the dev stuff.

Can you make a decent widget that is compatible with the default Android mail app?
    Can you make a decent widget that is compatible with the default music app.
    Can you make a lockscreen that has music controls on it that is compatible with the default music app.
    Can you make an app that uses the Google Maps API which displays the location of bus stops, which routes go past them and the live timings of the nearby buses (like this page does)?

Y'know, just to get you going? :p:

How long does it take to get an app over to the android market? For example the micoach app is only available for the iphone and blackberry but adidas haven't given a definite time of when it'll be available for android.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    How long does it take to get an app over to the android market? For example the micoach app is only available for the iphone and blackberry but adidas haven't given a definite time of when it'll be available for android.
    That'd depend on so many factors it'd be hard to say. The complexity of the app itself, the size of the dev team, how much time they put in to it, how much of a priority it is, how much time is needed to debug etc...

That'd depend on so many factors it'd be hard to say. The complexity of the app itself, the size of the dev team, how much time they put in to it, how much of a priority it is, how much time is needed to debug etc...
    So I guess it's just a function of waiting. Shame because the app looks really cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    So I guess it's just a function of waiting. Shame because the app looks really cool.
    Yup. Must admit, I'm starting to get a little impatient with the Android Market place. It's still miles behind iOS in terms of using the market and the quality of apps. :sad:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yup. Must admit, I'm starting to get a little impatient with the Android Market place. It's still miles behind iOS in terms of using the market and the quality of apps. :sad:
    It takes time for the dev communities to shift to new areas. Android is becoming very main stream now, the devs will have to come. With over 200K activations a day, it's only a matter of time.

Spoiler:
    Show
    The emoticon was meant to be '' :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    It takes time for the dev communities to shift to new areas. Android is becoming very main stream now, the devs will have to come. With over 200K activations a day, it's only a matter of time.
    Oh I know. Still doesn't stop me being impatient! :p: It's a good thing that my contract doesn't run out for a while yet!

ReputationRep:
    Oh I know. Still doesn't stop me being impatient! :p: It's a good thing that my contract doesn't run out for a while yet!
    http://www.androidguys.com/2010/08/1...ments-tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Lol - nice.

I thought the little things that people have just started noticing were just part of the 2.2 Market, as I got them as soon as I upgraded to Froyo. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Nice.

Good work on the dev stuff.

Can you make a decent widget that is compatible with the default Android mail app?
    Can you make a decent widget that is compatible with the default music app.
    Can you make a lockscreen that has music controls on it that is compatible with the default music app.
    Can you make an app that uses the Google Maps API which displays the location of bus stops, which routes go past them and the live timings of the nearby buses (like this page does)?

Y'know, just to get you going? :p:
    Just to get me going....lol.

I have a very good grounding in Java and have picked up ADB/ADT in no time. I've been playing for a while and development has gone far easier than I anticipated due to the open source factor.

My friend who is doing this with me is a top class developer anyhow and if we still get stuck, I have another friend who lives on the next street who develops Apps for a living (mostly iPhone based though).

I'm really hoping our meeting is a success (in a few weeks). If that's gravy I'll be up to my eyeballs with research work...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Just to get me going....lol.

I have a very good grounding in Java and have picked up ADB/ADT in no time. I've been playing for a while and development has gone far easier than I anticipated due to the open source factor.

My friend who is doing this with me is a top class developer anyhow and if we still get stuck, I have another friend who lives on the next street who develops Apps for a living (mostly iPhone based though).

I'm really hoping our meeting is a success (in a few weeks). If that's gravy I'll be up to my eyeballs with research work...
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    It'll get better after a while..give it some time.
    I just got the Captivate and I love it; android is great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    samsung galaxy s i want
    You should definitely get it. I just got it so if you ( or anyone) wants aa review or something pm me and ill get back with ya.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    :wizard2:

Hello everyone :hi:

After reading this thread, I am seriously considering getting an HTC Hero. I was just wondering if I'd be able to play all my J2ME games on it though. :p:

Thanks in advance
    :girl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    Hello everyone :hi:

After reading this thread, I am seriously considering getting an HTC Hero. I was just wondering if I'd be able to play all my J2ME games on it though. :p:

Thanks in advance
    :girl:
    would advise against getting a hero as they are quite old now best to get a Legend or even better a desire

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.