Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by wizard710)
    would advise against getting a hero as they are quite old now best to get a Legend or even better a desire
    But they are too expensive for me. :ashamed2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    But they are too expensive for me.
    what about the wildfire? i don't know how much it is compared to the hero or the legend but its defiantly cheaper than the desire

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone :hi:

After reading this thread, I am seriously considering getting an HTC Hero. I was just wondering if I'd be able to play all my J2ME games on it though. :p:

Thanks in advance
    :girl:
    If you can upload one of them for me, I'll test it out.

(Original post by grh2g46)
    what about the wildfire? i don't know how much it is compared to the hero or the legend but its defiantly cheaper than the desire
    Well tbh, I didn't like the screen on the Wildfire. My current phone has a 240 x 320 screen, and it's way smaller than the screens on either HTC phone. Since I'm getting a bigger screen, I'd expect more pixels :p:

(Original post by mikeyd85)
    If you can upload one of them for me, I'll test it out.
    Street Fighter :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Well tbh, I didn't like the screen on the Wildfire. My current phone has a 240 x 320 screen, and it's way smaller than the screens on either HTC phone. Since I'm getting a bigger screen, I'd expect more pixels
    fair point, although from what experience i have had with it(my friend wanted me to show them some of things she could do on it) i didnt notice the lack of pixles unless i specifically looked for them

should anyone care i am planing to get the HTC desire for when i go to uni

ReputationRep:
    Well tbh, I didn't like the screen on the Wildfire. My current phone has a 240 x 320 screen, and it's way smaller than the screens on either HTC phone. Since I'm getting a bigger screen, I'd expect more pixels :p:

Street Fighter :ahee:
    To a certain degree you can. Not managed to get yours working, but there is an emulator on the market which apparently works for most Java Games. It converts them to APKs for you to install. I'd dare say there's a way to spoof your games in to it's list.

To a certain degree you can. Not managed to get yours working, but there is an emulator on the market which apparently works for most Java Games. It converts them to APKs for you to install. I'd dare say there's a way to spoof your games in to it's list.
    Excellent! :nutcase:

Now. I'll need to sort out the finance. :scrooge:

ReputationRep:
    Don't get a Hero :/

ReputationRep:
    The Hero is on the brink of being left behind in terms of software updates... you'd be better off getting a Wildfire (the low res screen isn't a problem at all unless you expect it to be a fully-fledged video player) or waiting for something better than the Wildfire but cheaper than the Legend/Desire.. or you could scout out a good contract deal for the Legend/Desire, try tweeting @VodafoneUKeals mentioning what phone you'd like and ask them what they can offer you.... you fill in a form and then based on what you've said on the form and what you've said on Twitter someone rings you back and offers you a deal... I got Vodafone's £20 deal for the Wildfire reduced to £10 for 21 months and £15 for the rest of the contract!

ReputationRep:
    There's plenty of Hero development going on if you're willing to go down that route. I'm happily running Froyo on it and it'll never support 3.x anyway.

ReputationRep:
    There's plenty of Hero development going on if you're willing to go down that route. I'm happily running Froyo on it and it'll never support 3.x anyway.
    Plenty of people aren't willing to go down that route though... I'm perfectly willing to hack my iPod Touch because a) it's always possible to restore to factory settings, b) if it does break down I'm not without a phone and c) I'm not locked into a contract. Since I have no means of getting hold of Vodafone's firmware for my Wildfire I can't restore to factory settings, if it does break down I am without a phone, and since I am locked into a contract I'll be in a right mess if they refuse to provide support. It's not worth the hassle.

ReputationRep:
    I have a HTC Hero, but i got mine in december, when it was one of the first Android phones going. Since then, it took them about 6 or 7 months to update it to Android 2.1, so much longer than any other that a group of people made VillainROM, a custom firmware for the phone running Android 2.1.

It was a good phone to buy then, but now 8 months later, I would get a more recently released one. Google have just recently stopped selling the Nexus one so i would hazard a guess that they intend to release a new one soon. And HTC have an announcement lined up for the 15th september regarding a new phone, but that might be too long to wait?

For those who have their phones rooted, i've discovered an app called ShootMe, that takes screenshots. So useful for me, i've been wanting a screenshot app for so long and to be honest it should be a built in feature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Plenty of people aren't willing to go down that route though... I'm perfectly willing to hack my iPod Touch because a) it's always possible to restore to factory settings, b) if it does break down I'm not without a phone and c) I'm not locked into a contract. Since I have no means of getting hold of Vodafone's firmware for my Wildfire I can't restore to factory settings, if it does break down I am without a phone, and since I am locked into a contract I'll be in a right mess if they refuse to provide support. It's not worth the hassle.
    Ah gutted. I'm fortunate enough to be able to restore to factory settings, else I'd probably not go down this route either.

Edit:

Guys and girls who use iTunes, I recommend you all get Tunes Remote. Might have to manually enter your IP address first time, but then it works an absolute treat.

ReputationRep:
    The Hero is on the brink of being left behind in terms of software updates... you'd be better off getting a Wildfire (the low res screen isn't a problem at all unless you expect it to be a fully-fledged video player) or waiting for something better than the Wildfire but cheaper than the Legend/Desire.. or you could scout out a good contract deal for the Legend/Desire, try tweeting @VodafoneUKeals mentioning what phone you'd like and ask them what they can offer you.... you fill in a form and then based on what you've said on the form and what you've said on Twitter someone rings you back and offers you a deal... I got Vodafone's £20 deal for the Wildfire reduced to £10 for 21 months and £15 for the rest of the contract!
    How much minutes are you getting with your contract?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeon Prince)
    How much minutes are you getting with your contract?
    300. To be honest I have absolutely no idea why the deal is that cheap, if you do the maths there's no way they could be making money from me - the wholesale cost of the phone is £180 (according to customer services when I rang up to say the deal hadn't come through yet), which means that over the course of the contract they only get to keep £75, and I don't see how that could possibly cover their costs. Still, not complaining

ReputationRep:
    300. To be honest I have absolutely no idea why the deal is that cheap, if you do the maths there's no way they could be making money from me - the wholesale cost of the phone is £180 (according to customer services when I rang up to say the deal hadn't come through yet), which means that over the course of the contract they only get to keep £75, and I don't see how that could possibly cover their costs. Still, not complaining
    hmm i doubt theyll offer me something like that =[

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeon Prince)
    hmm i doubt theyll offer me something like that =[
    Well they offered it to me and I was a completely new customer as far as they were concerned (I was on PAYG with them years ago when my parents bought me their first phone...) so you might get lucky.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, HTC will repair your phone fine if it's rooted.

Not sure about Vodafone themselves but T-Mobile do 99% of the time.

ReputationRep:
    I skipped back a few pages but couldn't see anything. Has everyone saw this yet?:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/11/e...aming-platfor/

PSP Games on Android = Epic Win!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveDhalai)
    I skipped back a few pages but couldn't see anything. Has everyone saw this yet?:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/11/e...aming-platfor/

PSP Games on Android = Epic Win!
    If I had a £1 for every PSP Phone rumour... :rolleyes:

I'd like it, but I won't count on it. Until then, there's always the PSX emulator.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.