Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil' Flo)
    Friendstream on my desire has stopped working

Can't wait for my laptop to come back so I can flash the Orange crap out of my phone.
    So as your web browser, apparently. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Those with Sense UI, Do you keep it or use Stock Android?

I'm using 2.2 Stock (CyanogenMod).

IMO, Sense was great back when there was Android 1.6, it looked much better. But now, with the 3d app drawer etc, I think stock looks better, not to mention it performs better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveDhalai)
    Those with Sense UI, Do you keep it or use Stock Android?

I'm using 2.2 Stock (CyanogenMod).

IMO, Sense was great back when there was Android 1.6, it looked much better. But now, with the 3d app drawer etc, I think stock looks better, not to mention it performs better.
    I've got a Hero, currently running Froyo with Launcher Pro. It's very nice indeed. I much prefer it to Sense and I agree that Sense was better suited to 1.x.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Everytime I see people talk about how X UI is better than Sense UI I'm just like :hand:, however after seeing only 2 video of Launcher Pro I'm in love with it. And since you don't even have to root it I may just get myself a galaxy S instead of a Desire HD when the time comes, since Sense UI was more of less the reason why I wanted to go HTC.

ReputationRep:
    I think one of the main downsides of open sourced software for a mobile phone is all the faffing around on your phone trying thigns out

so has anyone created soemsort of emulator where you can try out these apps before you make the changes to your actual phone? i'm guessing no...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    So as your web browser, apparently. :p:
    Yeah, that too...

(Original post by Clubber Lang)
    I think one of the main downsides of open sourced software for a mobile phone is all the faffing around on your phone trying thigns out

so has anyone created soemsort of emulator where you can try out these apps before you make the changes to your actual phone? i'm guessing no...?
    I don't understand what you want to emulate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I don't understand what you want to emulate?
    the various software you can put on your phone - but on a pc so you can get a rough idea of how it all loojs before you actually put it onto the phone

(Original post by Clubber Lang)
    the various software you can put on your phone - but on a pc so you can get a rough idea of how it all loojs before you actually put it onto the phone
    Like just normal apps or Home replacements?

I'm not sure if something like this exists. But you should perhaps mention it to select Home makers and they could implement a desktop (or java applet) to allow you configure your home with the ease of a mouse rather than tap>hold>move/add etc.

Still not sure I catch your drift

ReputationRep:
    What I am saying is this.

I am all for messing about with new software on my PC but on my phone I just want it to work as easily as possible and putting on lods of apps to see what they are like only to delete them to try other ones can be a PITA, especially laucher software where you might spend a while setting it all up.

Rather than having to install everything directly to your phone it would be decent to be emulate it (kind of) on your PC to see how it all works BEFORE putting it onto your phone. obviusly you woudlnt be able to use it as a touchscreen on your PC but it might give you a flavour of the software.

You would then install the actual one you prefer on your phone. Of course some peopel may still prefer to install the actual software on their phone everytime.

ReputationRep:
    Do any of you guys have pingchat? just installed it, a bit like BBM.

my ID is : Mattjames_ if any of you want to add me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattjames)
    Do any of you guys have pingchat? just installed it, a bit like BBM.

my ID is : Mattjames_ if any of you want to add me
    Why not just use the integrated "Talk" which is exactly the same as BBM but uses GTalk? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I've got a Hero, currently running Froyo with Launcher Pro. It's very nice indeed. I much prefer it to Sense and I agree that Sense was better suited to 1.x.
    The whole Slide out Drawer just looks inferior to the 3D Drawer on Stock/Launcher Pro IMO.

Plus there are alternative apps now. Dialer One for a similar dialer, Handcent is awesome too, lets you lock your messages with a password.

ReputationRep:
    I FINALLY got 2.1 on my Hero .. god damn 3 taking the piss. Good times ;D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveDhalai)
    Why not just use the integrated "Talk" which is exactly the same as BBM but uses GTalk? :confused:
    my rom didn't include GTalk :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    I FINALLY got 2.1 on my Hero .. god damn 3 taking the piss. Good times ;D
    2.1 is nice isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Young Spade)
    2.1 is nice isn't it?
    Yep, so far.
    Aint had much time to customise anything as im busy starting to clear out my room + pack very slowly for uni and stuff.. sucks cuz i spent SO much time getting my perfect layout before it wiped it :P. Ah well.. shall have to try out some new apps tonight

ReputationRep:
    Haha yea I know how packing is; I just got moved in and right now I'm waiting for my 2nd class to start.

However having the Captivate (Droid 2.1) with me is a lifesaver here on campus: synching google calanders, gmail, school-wide wifi and music in a phone is a God-send.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattjames)
    my rom didn't include GTalk :/
    You on Orange? They remove it from their phones as IM programs are apparently "against their policy"

Beauty of Open Source Software is you can just download and install it back:
    http://www.arkp.co.uk/Talk.apk

ReputationRep:
    Yep I am the same WRT to sense. Its too all encompassing. I loved the main homepage one, as I was used to it from my WM sense. But now I just found something that looks very similar but is transparent and its miles better

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.