Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    apparently htc desire phones on orange will be getting upgraded to android 2.2 this friday
    http://www.eurodroid.com/2010/08/ora...-on-august-27/

good for me as i just got my desire on orange today, so not long to wait for froyo!

ReputationRep:
    Froyo :moon:

Still awaiting froyo. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bballer4life)
    apparently htc desire phones on orange will be getting upgraded to android 2.2 this friday
    http://www.eurodroid.com/2010/08/ora...-on-august-27/

good for me as i just got my desire on orange today, so not long to wait for froyo!
    Yes.
    Does this apply to phones unlocked from Orange.

ReputationRep:
    I have a HTC Wildfire, and I'm sure it's too clever for me. Quick question guys if you don't mind.. when I add a widget to a screen, e.g. FriendStream, it comes up really small, not like when I got the Wildfire and it took up the full screen as I want it. Hope this is the right place to ask, thanks

Just got an HTC Wildfire. I'm pretty much in love. I actually prefer it to an iPhone. Apparently Vodafone has started rolling out Froyo today so I'm psyched for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil' Flo)
    Yes.
    Does this apply to phones unlocked from Orange.

If you have an unlocked phone then you should already be able to get froyo.

unlocked phones were the first to get it on the desire

ReputationRep:

I haven't got it yet at all. Have checked manually repeatedly, although i haven't in past week. But I've been checking since it was available for unlocked phones :/
    I thought, maybe the phone checks from orange's server or something like that

ReputationRep:

It don't work like that. It is your service provider who gives you the update not Google. If they want to add there garbage onto the official ROM, they will, as Orange do.

That's why everyone should just root the device and install a modified 'official' ROM. That way you would have had Froyo some 2 months ago now

Anyway - who's heard of the new OS - and I mean it begins with 'H' I just love the names they come up with. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Né Stig)
    It don't work like that. It is your service provider who gives you the update not Google. If they want to add there garbage onto the official ROM, they will, as Orange do.

That's why everyone should just root the device and install a modified 'official' ROM. That way you would have had Froyo some 2 months ago now

Anyway - who's heard of the new OS - and I mean it begins with 'H' I just love the names they come up with. :cool:
    Honeycomb I heard

ReputationRep:
    The whole update for OSs is a right faff.

Google should come up with a solution that allows peopel to downlaod the OS directly from them for their own phone like you do when you get a windows Cd that works on most PCs - or at the very least release one that works for each different device

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caseyhayes)
    I have a HTC Wildfire, and I'm sure it's too clever for me. Quick question guys if you don't mind.. when I add a widget to a screen, e.g. FriendStream, it comes up really small, not like when I got the Wildfire and it took up the full screen as I want it. Hope this is the right place to ask, thanks
    Widgets sit on your homescreen. If they went full screen, there'd be no real use for them, so that is to be expected. (I think that's what you were asking!)

(Original post by Clubber Lang)

Google should come up with a solution that allows peopel to downlaod the OS directly from them for their own phone like you do when you get a windows Cd that works on most PCs - or at the very least release one that works for each different device
    Contracts between carriers and phone manufacturers means this will never happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    Just got an HTC Wildfire. I'm pretty much in love. I actually prefer it to an iPhone. Apparently Vodafone has started rolling out Froyo today so I'm psyched for that.
    Glad to hear it

Just got a wildfire as well (on T-Mobile) so looks like Froyo is not too far away :p:

Hopefully it will improve Flash performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyborg)
    Glad to hear it

Just got a wildfire as well (on T-Mobile) so looks like Froyo is not too far away :p:

Hopefully it will improve Flash performance.
    What tariff did you get it on if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipper_99)
    What tariff did you get it on if you don't mind me asking?
    £20 for 600 mins, unlimited texts and 3GB internet (phone itself was free).

ReputationRep:
    Do you all use the same web browser on your phone that it came with? I'm using the orange one, and it sucks, is it possible to download a web browser app?

EDIT: found 1 after a quick google search

ReputationRep:
    Do you all use the same web browser on your phone that it came with? I'm using the orange one, and it sucks, is it possible to download a web browser app?

try opera 5 - which is what i am going to try later today

ReputationRep:

Dolphin is pretty good, though I don't like the UI much.
    Skyfire gives you Flash support, but is rubbish
    Opera can be great, but sometimes it fails to render a page properly

I personally use the default browser with Froyo. It's lovely and quick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Dolphin is pretty good, though I don't like the UI much.
    Skyfire gives you Flash support, but is rubbish
    Opera can be great, but sometimes it fails to render a page properly

I personally use the default browser with Froyo. It's lovely and quick.

I chose dolphin, the double tap zoom is pretty useful.

I wish i could do the same as you, but i'm still waiting for froyo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)

I agree, it's a bit annoying, but it won't change due to the phone manufacturer (HTC in my case who use Android) have a contract with the SP.

The thing with Apple was network carriers signed deals with THEM to sell the phone. The only downside to that was you had to have an o2 card in your phone for a few years. HTC you can have whatever SP.

But these phones are all about playing with them....so let it remain
    I mean - if people are that fussed (I don't mean you btw) - get the friggin Google (Nexus) phone developed by HTC. They'll get their updates immediately.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.