Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anybody using the desire on T mobile the official 2.2 update is out now, took them long enough.

ReputationRep:
    Guys i'm thinknig of getting a samsung galaxy apollo with 100 mins, 500 texts and 500mb internet, just wondering if you think that 500mb would be enough as i've heard that android phones use up your internet data constantly while you're not even browsing the web. Is this true? Would i be able to get by with just 500mb and still be able to use the internet without going over the fair use policy?

I'm new to both contracts and smart phones so even with a lot of research i'm getting confused lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOneCurlyFry)
    Guys i'm thinknig of getting a samsung galaxy apollo with 100 mins, 500 texts and 500mb internet, just wondering if you think that 500mb would be enough as i've heard that android phones use up your internet data constantly while you're not even browsing the web. Is this true? Would i be able to get by with just 500mb and still be able to use the internet without going over the fair use policy?

I'm new to both contracts and smart phones so even with a lot of research i'm getting confused lol
    Internet is toggleable.
    Where it is true it will use up your data when not doing anything specific, this will only happen if you leave the internet on.

I cope with 500MB (just!) and I use it most days relatively extensively.
    There is an app called 3G Watchdog that monitors your usage based on what you tell it about your contract. It's quite useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x01)
    Anybody using the desire on T mobile the official 2.2 update is out now, took them long enough.
    Just so everyone knows, the version available at the moment is the German one. You won't be able to use any of T-Mobile's new stuff, but you'll get all the FroYo features just fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Internet is toggleable.
    Where it is true it will use up your data when not doing anything specific, this will only happen if you leave the internet on.

I cope with 500MB (just!) and I use it most days relatively extensively.
    There is an app called 3G Watchdog that monitors your usage based on what you tell it about your contract. It's quite useful.
    The only time it uses up your data when you have internet on is:
    1) When something is pushed to the phone, eg an email, a new contact, a contact is edited, a new calender entry etc
    2) When a widget updates.

Any other time and the phone shouldn't be accessing any data.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveDhalai)
    The only time it uses up your data when you have internet on is:
    1) When something is pushed to the phone, eg an email, a new contact, a contact is edited, a new calender entry etc
    2) When a widget updates.

Any other time and the phone shouldn't be accessing any data.
    Yup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    The Desire HD and Desire Z are coming in October.
    Beyond that? I'd say just before Summer.
    I'd say just after gingerbread is anounced

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    I'd say just after gingerbread is anounced
    We can hope that HTC is working on Sense for GB already, but who knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    We can hope that HTC is working on Sense for GB already, but who knows.
    I hope not, Google hired the majority of the design team who worked on Palm's Web OS after the HP buyout to work on a new GUI for Gingerbread.

Vanilla Android 3.0 is going to be very sexy

ReputationRep:
    I hope not, Google hired the majority of the design team who worked on Palm's Web OS after the HP buyout to work on a new GUI for Gingerbread.

Vanilla Android 3.0 is going to be very sexy
    Yes. But I like HTC as a company, and no Sense means no phones.

Not too big an issue as I'm another year yet on my Hero /:emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Yes. But I like HTC as a company, and no Sense means no phones.

Not too big an issue as I'm another year yet on my Hero /:emo:
    Well the G1 and G2 don't have Sense or the Magic. And neither will any of the WP7 ones (well not as we know it anyway).

ReputationRep:
    Well the G1 and G2 don't have Sense or the Magic. And neither will any of the WP7 ones (well not as we know it anyway).
    This is utter crap.
    The G1 and the Nexus were Google branded phones. HTC may have made them but they were sold as (and by in the Nexus's case) Google.

The "G2" (Desire Z over here) has Sense, as will the HTC W7Phones to an extent.

EDIT: on the Magic front certain models that were more powerful that others have indeed received an update to Sense, albeit on 1.5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    This is utter crap.
    The G1 and the Nexus were Google branded phones. HTC may have made them but they were sold as (and by in the Nexus's case) Google.

The "G2" (Desire Z over here) has Sense, as will the HTC W7Phones to an extent.

EDIT: on the Magic front certain models that were more powerful that others have indeed received an update to Sense, albeit on 1.5.
    The G1 wasn't a Google Branded phone, it was a T-Mobile Branded Phone. As is the G2.

I didn't mention the Nexus.

The W7 Phones won't have sense, they will have a "sense hub" which will be a few custom applications, there will be no custom launcher or anything like that.

Also "This is utter crap" was fairly rude :P

ReputationRep:
    The G1 wasn't a Google Branded phone, it was a T-Mobile Branded Phone. As is the G2.

I didn't mention the Nexus.

The W7 Phones won't have sense, they will have a "sense hub" which will be a few custom applications, there will be no custom launcher or anything like that.

Also "This is utter crap" was fairly rude :P
    Ok it was branded a "Google Experience Phone" or whatever they called it.
    What are you referring to with G2? The T-Mobile UK branded Hero that runs Sense or the American G2 that also runs Sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Ok it was branded a "Google Experience Phone" or whatever they called it.
    What are you referring to with G2? The T-Mobile UK branded Hero that runs Sense or the American G2 that also runs Sense?
    The G2, The HTC Desire Z. The T-Mobile US variant.

And "Google Experience" means nothing, it's purely something that manufacturers can optionally put "With Google" on their phones to make them sell better. Back when Android wasn't known, "With Google" was put on the T-Mobile G1 because Google was a better brand name than Android.

As far as I know, the only phones to ever have it were the G1 and the Droid Incredible (which actually does have Sense):

Hey, Dolphin Browser HD 3 came out today, my browser updated itself.

Since upgrading to Cronos Froyo, I used the stock browser because it displayed YouTube videos (that was it really, other Flash things don't seem to work ), but now Dolphin uses it too, so I'm using it as my main browser. The interface isn't even that bad, and they've changed some of the controls (e.g., I can now switch tabs with the volume rocker, which is very handy) and there's a new pull-down area at the top to choose a tab.

:yy: :yy: :yy: :yy: :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    The G2, The HTC Desire Z. The T-Mobile US variant.

And "Google Experience" means nothing, it's purely something that manufacturers can optionally put "With Google" on their phones to make them sell better. Back when Android wasn't known, "With Google" was put on the T-Mobile G1 because Google was a better brand name than Android.

As far as I know, the only phones to ever have it were the G1 and the Droid Incredible (which actually does have Sense):

My Voda HTC Magic has the words "with Google" on the back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    Hey, Dolphin Browser HD 3 came out today, my browser updated itself.

Since upgrading to Cronos Froyo, I used the stock browser because it displayed YouTube videos (that was it really, other Flash things don't seem to work ), but now Dolphin uses it too, so I'm using it as my main browser. The interface isn't even that bad, and they've changed some of the controls (e.g., I can now switch tabs with the volume rocker, which is very handy) and there's a new pull-down area at the top to choose a tab.

:yy: :yy: :yy: :yy: :nothing:
    You still having issues with your ROM? Did you flash Hotfix 0 straight after the ROM flash? If so, that can cause you problems. You need to flash ROM reboot twice, flash fix 0.

(Original post by mikeyd85)
    You still having issues with your ROM? Did you flash Hotfix 0 straight after the ROM flash? If so, that can cause you problems. You need to flash ROM reboot twice, flash fix 0.
    I only put fix 0 on about a day after I'd put the new ROM on, after I'd installed plenty of apps

I'm not having any serious problems really, I found a newer version of Quickoffice, so that's okay. Flash is my main concern. Do you think it's worth reflashing? Would I need to reinstall everything? :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    I only put fix 0 on about a day after I'd put the new ROM on, after I'd installed plenty of apps

I'm not having any serious problems really, I found a newer version of Quickoffice, so that's okay. Flash is my main concern. Do you think it's worth reflashing? Would I need to reinstall everything? :sigh:
    I don't think Flash works on any Hero ROMs tbh. :sad:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.