Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have had a rather weird issue with Froyo updates. I bought an unlocked HTC Desire(it was originally from O2) off ebay a few months back(I know its unlocked because I have used a few other networks on it since), but the update was not available to me when they came out for unlocked PAYG phones in August. They only came up for me when they were made available to O2 customers, so I am wondering if somehow my phone is still tied with O2 for updates, and if so what I can do to solve it since I don't want to face the inevitable delays with future updates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ish90an)
    I have had a rather weird issue with Froyo updates. I bought an unlocked HTC Desire(it was originally from O2) off ebay a few months back(I know its unlocked because I have used a few other networks on it since), but the update was not available to me when they came out for unlocked PAYG phones in August. They only came up for me when they were made available to O2 customers, so I am wondering if somehow my phone is still tied with O2 for updates, and if so what I can do to solve it since I don't want to face the inevitable delays with future updates.
    Well your phone is an O2 phone and so runs the O2 software. The unlock is low level (not connected to what software you are running) so you will always need to wait for O2 to send out the update.

The only way for you to get updates as soon as they come out (and sometimes before :teehee: ) is to root your phone and install them manually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ish90an)
    http://www.eurodroid.com/2010/09/o2-...or-htc-desire/ You should receive it pretty soon I guess now then

ReputationRep:
    I have an app i've made and it doesn't look like app inventor is going to either add the feature for custom app icons or come out of beta any time soon. Unfortunately, the app never works when i add the custom icon myself using my mac. It's a long shot, but does somebody else know how to change app icons that could change it for me, so i can get my app out there via my website.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone seen the MIUI ROM? It looks pretty good - it combines the best of android with the best of iPhone OS. It has things like rubberbanding, makes all icons round-edged squares and it doesn't have an app drawer, all apps are on the homescreen. It also keeps the best of android, so everything else is there like the notifications bull down bar, obviously everything is customisable, it still has homecreen widgets and you can change the homescreen to launcherpro or something if you'd like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Llz40hfpo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewFromTheNorth)
    Has anyone seen the MIUI ROM? It looks pretty good - it combines the best of android with the best of iPhone OS. It has things like rubberbanding, makes all icons round-edged squares and it doesn't have an app drawer, all apps are on the homescreen. It also keeps the best of android, so everything else is there like the notifications bull down bar, obviously everything is customisable, it still has homecreen widgets and you can change the homescreen to launcherpro or something if you'd like.

That's pretty damn terrible looking.
    The guy in the video doesn't seem to know much about Android either :/

ReputationRep:
    Still using Leedroid

The MIUI ROM doesn't look complete either.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about rooting my Htc widlfire with unrevoked, but one quick question, how do i then do a nandroid backup. I've looked around and it seems like after the root I boot into the options (recovery?) screen and just select it from there. Is that right?

ReputationRep:
    yes that is right

anyone playing Wordfeud? It's like Scrabble, if you wanna play my username is carldiff

ReputationRep:
    My HTC Wildfire only syncs Google contacts in one direction - the moment I add a contact or contact detail it syncs with Google and deletes the changes I just made. Which means that I have to add contacts on my iPod Touch so they get synced back to Google and down to my phone. It's a bit ridiculous really, but at least it works.

... but does anyone know of a fix to this? I have a sneaking suspicion it's Vodafone's fault for shoddily modifying my firmware purely to rename People as HTC People (they have their own app called 360 People, you see) and breaking things in the process, but it might not be their fault at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewFromTheNorth)

I quite like it and if Cyanogen is involved then it will definitely improve. I would sure try it out

ReputationRep:
    I want a Android phone! Recommend me on one, not that expensive of course LOL. About £100-£170

ReputationRep:
    Whey hey! Rooted and nandroid backed up! Was very easy after all! What apps do people recommend? i already know about wifi tether and titanium backup. Is it now possible to get rid of the bloatware that T-Mobs and HTC load the phone with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pisces94)
    I want a Android phone! Recommend me on one, not that expensive of course LOL. About £100-£170
    San Francisco or the new Voda branded Android..

Nothing else really falls in that price range except for bad phones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by page_down)
    Whey hey! Rooted and nandroid backed up! Was very easy after all! What apps do people recommend? i already know about wifi tether and titanium backup. Is it now possible to get rid of the bloatware that T-Mobs and HTC load the phone with?
    SetCPU. Make it so your phone CPU downlocks to a really slow speed when the screen is off. Saves battery power.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11443111

Google Android apps found to be sharing data

ReputationRep:
    i did wonder exactly what data they were sharing

the warning is not exactly detailed and pretty much opens them up to share anything they want

ReputationRep:
    Apparently my Hero running on 2.2 gets a better Quadrant score than the Moto Droid on 2.1..

Wtf.

Hello again! :awesome:

As you may know, Cronos Froyo 1.3.0 is out. I want to get it, but I'm not sure what to do regarding apps and settings. Do I need Titanium Backup? What would that do? Would it help (a full wipe is recommended, so without a backup I'd need to reinstall everything all over again :cry2:)

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    HTC Desire HD - out October 14th. I can't wait!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.