Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=104986

This is what I've got but without the adapter which I already have..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Waaah, I really don't know whether to get a Hero or a Galaxy. The Hero looks so much cooler, but I'd much rather stay on O2.
    I'm in the exactly same position as you. My brother says that Samsung Galaxy is not a 'decent phone' but that's because he really wants me to get an iphone. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Having some trouble rooting my hero, when I get into the FlashRec program I don't get the empty box and two options saying "Flash Amon Ra Recoveyr 1.4" and "Restore Back up recovery image"... Instead I get a box which says http://zenthought.org/flashrec/cm-recovery-1.4-32a.img and two boxes underneath saying "Download Recovery Image" and "Restore Backup Image" When I click "Restore Backup Image" , if I click Restore Backup Image I goto a screen which has the same text box and then 3 buttons which say....Flash Recovery Image, Restore Backup Image, and Reboot into Recovery Mode..

Any ideas? lol

ReputationRep:
    Will the Hero update make it faster? Mine phone is getting so slow recently, and i'm getting impatient :p: I don't want to do the update unless it will make it faster, as I'll have to reinstall everything and maybe too much hassle.

ReputationRep:
    Zebrastripes, try downloading TasKill and stopping all the applications that you aren't using at the moment. That should speed it up quite a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebrastripes)
    Will the Hero update make it faster? Mine phone is getting so slow recently, and i'm getting impatient :p: I don't want to do the update unless it will make it faster, as I'll have to reinstall everything and maybe too much hassle.
    Yes, by a considerable margin.

ReputationRep:
    :sad:

Hmmm, just got my Hero now. Not too impressed. The internet is really slow. I'm fairly sure I could crack Fort Knox qucker then figuring out how to connect to wi-fi or my email account. They didn't supply my Memory Card like they said (T-Mobile's fault I suppose).

Its just meh. An alright phone but nothing too spectacular...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    :sad:

Hmmm, just got my Hero now. Not too impressed. The internet is really slow. I'm fairly sure I could crack Fort Knox qucker then figuring out how to connect to wi-fi or my email account. They didn't supply my Memory Card like they said (T-Mobile's fault I suppose).

Its just meh. An alright phone but nothing too spectacular...
    http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/74...i-problem.html
    It should come with a 2GB (are you sure its not already in the phone).

Please try to open your mind. Don't be such an Apple fan before even having an iPhone. It makes you liable to hate the phone just so you can waste money on an overpriced underpowered smartphone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/74...i-problem.html
    It should come with a 2GB (are you sure its not already in the phone).

Please try to open your mind. Don't be such an Apple fan before even having an iPhone. It makes you liable to hate the phone just so you can waste money on an overpriced underpowered smartphone.
    I really like the design of the phone but it can't even find my email accounts/FB/Twitter, Wi-Fi is impossible.

I'm giving it a fair go though. I'll keep trying with it.

ReputationRep:
    I really like the design of the phone but it can't even find my email accounts/FB/Twitter, Wi-Fi is impossible.

I'm giving it a fair go though. I'll keep trying with it.
    What do you mean can't find?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    What do you mean can't find?
    I'm just getting a load of page can not be found and so on. If I could connect via wi-fi it would be better. I'm quite liking it but need to get used to it I think.

ReputationRep:
    ffs I've just checked my T-Mobile bill and it makes no mention of my having unlimited texts or net usage.

ReputationRep:
    ffs I've just checked my T-Mobile bill and it makes no mention of my having unlimited texts or net usage.
    Menu > Settings > Wireless Settings > Wifi

Anything going slowly will be because you're on T-Mob, nothing to do with the Hero.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just getting a load of page can not be found and so on. If I could connect via wi-fi it would be better. I'm quite liking it but need to get used to it I think.
    What router are you trying to connect to? Make/model?

ReputationRep:
    On hero now. Need to be able connect to my wi fi lol.

ReputationRep:
    Can you log in to your router? You'll need the access key

ReputationRep:
    On hero now. Need to be able connect to my wi fi lol.
    See my post above yours.

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit it is pretty cool. Just need to know what I am doing.

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit it is pretty cool. Just need to know what I am doing.
    Ask away

ReputationRep:
    Okay i'll compile a list of the awesome applications I have so far

Tools
    • 3G Watchdog - Self explanatory - quite detailed
    • APNdroid - Turns your 3G on or off - useful if you don't want to go over a limit
    • Appmanager - To uninstall applications and various other things
    • Linda File Manager - Does a load of stuff i've not used yet :P
    • Power Manager - Increases your battery life - Gives you the % left, etc
    • Toggle Settings - Toggles all your important settings (3G/Wifi/Silent mode etc)
    • TasKiller - 'Kills' or stops currently running tasks

Applications
    • Astrid - Reminders and other things
    • Calculator - self explanatory
    • Compass
    • eBuddy - Facebook and MSN and other chat in one app
    • Facebook
    • FxCamera - Gives some better effects than the normal one
    • Google Sky Map - If you're bored at night :P
    • Handcent SMS - Much better than normal texting on the Hero
    • Layar - Search for it, cool app
    • Movies (Flixter) - Movie listings - brilliant app
    • NetCounter - Like 3G Watchdog, but also includes Wifi activity
    • Ringdroid - Create your own ringtunes from music on your phone / Record new ones
    • Shazam - Awesome! Listens to a music sample and can tell you what song it is. Brilliant app
    • ShopSavvy - Can read barcodes and tell you if the same product can be found cheaper elsewhere
    • Google Voice Search - Useful and pretty accurate, though I've had some funny mis-spellings
    • Wifi Analyser - Locates all the Wifi hotspots near you and their signal strength
    • Wikidroid - Wikipedia for Android
    • Wikitude - Much akin to Layar, but with Wikipedia
    • Xtremelabs Speedtest - Basically tests the speed of your connection

Games

• Abduction - Fun, move your handset from side to side to get the cow to higher platforms
    • Bonsai Blast - Great free game, look it up
    • Buka Demo - Also decent
    • Draw - kind of fun, slightly pointless though
    • Hangman and related hangmans - Okay
    • Graviturn - Fun game, get rid of the red circles but keep the green ones (or vice versa?)
    • Hyperspace Lite - Another great 3D game, download it
    • Jelix Lite - a cool take on the destroy the blocks kind of games
    • Little Python - Version of snake
    • Maths Workout - if you're feeling up for it :P
    • Multibubbles - haven't actually played it yet lol
    • Papi (and other related games) - Fun for a while
    • Pint Push - Basic but okay
    • Pong
    • Robot Tower Defence - Great game, spent ages on this
    • Snake Extreme - only works with the trackball on the Hero
    • Teeter - Labryinth like game, uses the accelerometer to get a marble around a course
    • ThrottleCopter - Annoying version of the classic Helicopter game
    • Trap! - Basic but fun
    • What The Doodle?! - Probably the best free game there is. Pictionary on Android using touch screens and internet. Brilliant!

I've had my Hero about a week and bit :grin:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.