Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yo all, how much would it cost to unlock a desire? Just asking since CEX charge a good £20+ for a desire on 3/unlocked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Seems to depend on when you got the phone.

~£20 for after 25th May
    ~£15 for before then.
    That's... rather random. Is that using those websites which send you an unlock code? I may just chance it on ebay anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Because it's superior spec-wise?
    Its very similar specwise aint it? Other than the amoled screen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    Its very similar specwise aint it? Other than the amoled screen
    I didn't even think it had an amoled screen or does it not have a super amoled? Am I getting them mixed up
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Spec wise it's very similar to the Galaxy S (both do have Super Amoled screen), apart from it has an Led flash, 16gb built in memory and all the NFC rubbish that is not useful for at least another 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)

:sogood:
    Reminds me of this

[img]http://yes*****.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Pixie_Lott_Fhm_Music_Issue_Octob er.jpg[/img]

:sogood:

ReputationRep:
    Well... that's something to behold.

(2.3, Galaxy S, The Woman That Used To Be In A Sig Here [Delete As Appropriate]

ReputationRep:
    Thing is the Software will be optimised for the Nexus S, compared to 2.1/2.2 on the Galaxy S. Means it'll run sweet as hell, and it's stock, so no touchwiz.

Was hoping it'd be dual core, but so long as it's blazing I think I'll upgrade to it from my iPhone 3G - should be a nice boost heh. Really gone off Apple, I admit they have all their phones on the same version of the iOS, but the 3G is nigh-unusable. S'when Fragmentation has advantages.

Plus I'm bored of waiting, heh. Can't see to many advantages of dual core in the near future, until things get optimised for them. So this should do nicely. Me want.

ReputationRep:
    Between now and Easter there's gonna be a lot of phones coming out and being announced. This is just the beginning for 2.3 devices. The next gen is around the corner. I'd wait.

ReputationRep:
    So it's basically my phone but a little bit better really...:awesome:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The Nexus S is a lot less of an upgrade than I think we first perceived if anything it's exactly the same as the Galaxy range. When you factor one of the Galaxy ranges (think it's vibrant) already had a front facing camera. This is essentially the Galaxy S with 2.3.

Oh and it has NO micro SD slot. :lolwut:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by G8D)
    16GB is a lot of space...
    It's still a con especially if you're thinking of putting a lot of high res videos on the phone and lots of music. Having no option can never be a good thing. I see Samsung going more into this direction. If you look at the Omnia 7 it only comes in an 8gb version which you can't expand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    The Nexus S is a lot less of an upgrade than I think we first perceived if anything it's exactly the same as the Galaxy range. When you factor one of the Galaxy ranges (think it's vibrant) already had a front facing camera. This is essentially the Galaxy S with 2.3.

Oh and it has NO micro SD slot.
    :lolwut:
    really? :wtf:

I thought the whole point of Google releasing their own phone was to show what Android could do i.e. to release an optimised mobile phone with the latest technology, showing off the system (hardware and software), pushing boundaries and thus forcing their partners to do the same.

This is such a minor update, what is the point? I dont see any envelopes being pushed here.

The Hero's looking pretty good right now, isn't it? :smug:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    really? :wtf:

I thought the whole point of Google releasing their own phone was to show what Android could do i.e. to release an optimised mobile phone with the latest technology, showing off the system (hardware and software), pushing boundaries and thus forcing their partners to do the same.

This is such a minor update, what is the point? I dont see any envelopes being pushed here.
    Actually I think that was only the plan for the Nexus 1, the Nexus S isn't there to push tech in the mobile space but more to refine the Google experience. Because of this the Nexus S actually falls in many departments.

ReputationRep:
    It's still a con especially if you're thinking of putting a lot of high res videos on the phone and lots of music. Having no option can never be a good thing. I see Samsung going more into this direction. If you look at the Omnia 7 it only comes in an 8gb version which you can't expand.
    That was a WP7 requirement, most WP7 phones dont have "user replaceable" cards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    16GB is a lot of space...
    Seeing as I want a phone to replace my ageing ipod touch and that in 16gb and full it isn't really that big
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Got my Desire HD this morning. Few things to say:

Pro: Screen is amazing, very bright, colours are beautiful and viewing angles are great.
    Pro: browsing is a pleasure with the big screen
    Pro: Very quick
    Pro: Dolby sound (with headphones) makes a big difference, very nice feature
    Pro: Unibody feels amazing

Con: Design of the sim card slot and battery slot is not impressive, I have a very thin gap towards the right of the sim card slot
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by G8D)
    So it's a keeper? :awesome:
    Certainly. You really need to see the screen it's really jaw dropping. I'm a bit annoyed I have a branded one, the quick boot is super quick but the T mobile logo takes up about 5 seconds, meaning overall it takes about 8 seconds to boot compared to about 2 on non branded phones. Got a few questions though.

What apps should I get straight away?
    Should I stick with default HTC music? I don't really care how about changing equalizer settings and such that you get with power amp

ReputationRep:
    Certainly. You really need to see the screen it's really jaw dropping. I'm a bit annoyed I have a branded one, the quick boot is super quick but the T mobile logo takes up about 5 seconds, meaning overall it takes about 8 seconds to boot compared to about 2 on non branded phones. Got a few questions though.

What apps should I get straight away?
    Should I stick with default HTC music? I don't really care how about changing equalizer settings and such that you get with power amp
    My Vote goes to Double Twist just because of AirSync, it costs 1.59 i think and allows wireless syncing of music / video

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.