Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by samanthaaaa)
    Yeah I did and I love it :ahee:

It took a while getting used to at first as this phone is a huge step up to my previous one but yeah, I love it and I love htc and android
    This makes me want to get an Android phone so much. I'm contemplating getting the Desire (instead of the Desire HD) because Virgin only get theirs in Jan even though my contract runs out in Jan, but I just too impatient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    This makes me want to get an Android phone so much. I'm contemplating getting the Desire (instead of the Desire HD) because Virgin only get theirs in Jan even though my contract runs out in Jan, but I just too impatient.
    What phone do you currently have? I thought you had the desire :hmmmm:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What phone do you currently have? I thought you had the desire :hmmmm:
    I have the nokia e63 which isn't actually too bad, love the phone tbh. I was going to get the desire but i decided not as I was waiting for the Desire HD. Maybe I should just be patient :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    I have the nokia e63 which isn't actually too bad, love the phone tbh. I was going to get the desire but i decided not as I was waiting for the Desire HD. Maybe I should just be patient :sigh:
    Ooh, my friend has that phone

Yeah, when you do get the desire hd, you'll be glad that you waited that bit longer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Android can now officially offer some Llamas an ass whooping!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Winamp is out
    Going to d/l that later

ReputationRep:
    I remember someone posting something about an app where you can track your phone ie if you lost it etc. Could someone tell me the name of the app please? If not, ignore this.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when Froyo is coming to the HTC Legend?

ReputationRep:
    lol, winamp

legendary software, may just download it for the pc for the hell of it.

ReputationRep:
    I remember someone posting something about an app where you can track your phone ie if you lost it etc. Could someone tell me the name of the app please? If not, ignore this.
    Wavesecure.

Though it's no longer free (had to sign up during Android beta period).

Spoiler:
    Show
    First post from the new update :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    lol, winamp

legendary software, may just download it for the pc for the hell of it.
    I am seriously considering ditching itunes when I get a new phone and just using winamp

(Original post by G8D)
    Wavesecure.
    Though it's no longer free (had to sign up during Android beta period).
    Spoiler:
    Show
    First post from the new update :woo:
    There was another one released in the past couple of days which was free but I am afraid I don't know what it was called

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    I am seriously considering ditching itunes when I get a new phone and just using winamp

There was another one released in the past couple of days which was free but I am afraid I don't know what it was called
    MediaMonkey > WinAmp :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's called "Where's My Droid", I think.

ReputationRep:
    Was going to go for the Desire HD, but until Android is more attractive to use an OS (scrolling through lists of icons = horrible) then it's a no-go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonCha)
    Was going to go for the Desire HD, but until Android is more attractive to use an OS (scrolling through lists of icons = horrible) then it's a no-go.
    Huh?

ReputationRep:
    There are only as many icons as you put on your home screen... Plus you can put them in folders and such. I don't see where you're coming from here. Phones like the iPhone are horrible for pages and pages of icons. Go for the Desire, it's brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Huh?
    That's all there is after the main menu, right? Just icons on a black background.

ReputationRep:
    That's all there is after the main menu, right? Just icons on a black background.
    There really isn't a main menu..

You use the homescreens for the most important stuff (widgets and apps) and then use the app drawer (not really a drawer any more) to select other apps that you perhaps don't use as often.

I admit it's a tad iOSy but it's easily avoidable if you design your homescreens around your habits, plus you can search for apps and open them from there instead of scrolling.

How do you suggest they handle huge amounts of apps :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    There are only as many icons as you put on your home screen... Plus you can put them in folders and such. I don't see where you're coming from here. Phones like the iPhone are horrible for pages and pages of icons. Go for the Desire, it's brilliant.
    I actually didn't mind the iOS system, as I could use folders to keep all my apps on one screen so I didn't have to bother with scrolling through loads of pages.

How do folders work on Android? I've never seen them used before.

The big issue I also have with Android is that everything seems poorly presented, and actually looks ugly. A prime example of this is the camera app on the Desire HD - it looks horrible and over the top. Can these apps be replaced? And if so, does the new app 'override' the stock app that comes with the device?

ReputationRep:
    I actually didn't mind the iOS system, as I could use folders to keep all my apps on one screen so I didn't have to bother with scrolling through loads of pages.

The big issue I also have with Android is that everything seems poorly presented, and actually looks ugly. A prime example of this is the camera app on the Desire HD - it looks horrible and over the top. Can these apps be replaced? And if so, does the new app 'override' the stock app that comes with the device?
    Folders:
    >add a folder widget.
    >name it
    >drag apps from the big ugly black scroll thing to the folder

That's it. Click folder icon, open folder.

You can download plenty of different camera apps, and the way Android works you can set that app to default so you only need to use the Stock one if you choose to manually.

EDIT: SE highlighting different camera apps.

ReputationRep:

Folders work like... folders. You can put apps, shortcuts etc. in them and open them to see what is inside. It's actually possible to have no icons on your home screen, there is a pull up menu with all the apps on. Unlike the iPhone you can remove them; I only have a few icons on my home screens. Widgets are brilliant, I love them.

As for apps, well that just comes down to preference, but yes there are alternatives. For example, the phones come with a default messaging app, however you can get an app from the market called Handcent SMS - it's much better. And you can set it to be the default app for opening and sending messages. It's all very customisable, very open, that's why I love it so much. HTC sense + Android is brilliance IMO.

I would say the only OS that is comparable to Android is iOS and I assume from your post you're looking for something different to an iPhone. The HTC Desire is a brilliant phone on the hardware side too (I have a HTC Legend, which is also great, but I know people with the Desire).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.