The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yoyo462001
What apps should I get straight away?

WaveSecure - Backup, wipe, lock and track your phone remotely.
I better get started on that list. Decided to go with Angrybirds first :ahee:

Certainly. You really need to see the screen it's really jaw dropping. I'm a bit annoyed I have a branded one, the quick boot is super quick but the T mobile logo takes up about 5 seconds, meaning overall it takes about 8 seconds to boot compared to about 2 on non branded phones. Got a few questions though.

Should I stick with default HTC music? I don't really care how about changing equalizer settings and such that you get with power amp

1. Install s-off bootloader
2. Install clockwork mod recovery using rom manager from market
3. get a custom rom. I recommend Either of the Cyanogen ports or CoreDroid if you want sense.
4. Overclock/undervolt using custom kernel.

Then get apps. Seriously, I thought battery was crap on stock (plus it does actually take about a week to calibrate itself) but on cyanogen, with setcpu running between 245mhz and 1440mhz, I get at least twice the life out of it.
Original post by rorydaredking

Original post by rorydaredking
1. Install s-off bootloader
2. Install clockwork mod recovery using rom manager from market
3. get a custom rom. I recommend Either of the Cyanogen ports or CoreDroid if you want sense.
4. Overclock/undervolt using custom kernel.

Then get apps. Seriously, I thought battery was crap on stock (plus it does actually take about a week to calibrate itself) but on cyanogen, with setcpu running between 245mhz and 1440mhz, I get at least twice the life out of it.

Thanks for the info. But I don't think I'm ready to Root my phone yet, I might do it around January though. Or I might just wait for CM with gingerbread.
For some reason my HTC Legend has become unresponsive and slow, anyone got any ideas why?

I better get started on that list. Decided to go with Angrybirds first :ahee:

I guess that plays like a charm :smile:
Original post by G8D
Honeycomb on tablets looks promising...
Shame the presenters are ****e.
http://phandroid.com/2010/12/06/rubin-previews-motorola-tablet-with-honeycomb/

I'd be interested to know when it is coming out. Doubt it would be January if gingerbread has just been released but why would you be showing off an OS now if you were going to wait for I/O next june?
I want honeycomb on my phone. I like the new lock screen.
Reply 2707
Thanks for the info. But I don't think I'm ready to Root my phone yet, I might do it around January though. Or I might just wait for CM with gingerbread.

Go on...you know you want to! :p:

I've just did it on the SGS like 2 minutes ago :awesome: It was to enable Clockwork to backup my ROM cos I was gonna update it but still. :p:

Dunno what to do with a rooted phone apart from that though :biggrin:
I don't want to put S-OFF (yet) but I want to unistall all the pre installed rubbish from T mobile, would I be able to just use Visionary in the market?

This looks far too complicated :emo:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by bigmo7
Go on...you know you want to! :p:

I've just did it on the SGS like 2 minutes ago :awesome: It was to enable Clockwork to backup my ROM cos I was gonna update it but still. :p:

Dunno what to do with a rooted phone apart from that though :biggrin:

Wireless tethers, install Linux... err.... that's all I've done.

I don't want to put S-OFF (yet) but I want to unistall all the pre installed rubbish from T mobile, would I be able to just use Visionary in the market?

Yep theres a guide on XDA for removing stock apps
Reply 2711
Original post by mikeyd85
Wireless tethers, install Linux... err.... that's all I've done.

I can already use it as a wireless access point...drains the battery like crazy tho.

And overclocking does require rooting on my phone so I think its the same for the dhd?
Original post by G8D
Overclocking requires root, right?

I needed to root for OC. Whether that's the same for other phones IDK.

This looks far too complicated :emo:

Install Titanium Backup (rooted phones). You can then backup apps, data, settings, freeze apps and uninstall apps (including bloatware that can't normally be uninstalled). In a word, it's awesome and there's a reason why its bundled with certain Modaco ROMs.

If you want to back up apps only, Astro does the job in addition to being an excellent file explorer.

If you wanna impress people install Gmote and control their mouse. It works a treat lol It's a pretty good and reliable remote for your PC, otherwise, to play media and also stream it to your phone.

Talking Tom Cat is a good gimmick. Kids love it especially the grown up types!

Once you're set, there are soo many cool apps to recommend. If you're gonna mess with ROMs, can't say this enough times but do a FULL BACKUP with Clockwork (it's really really easy to do).
Well, just bought a desire and waiting for it to arrive. Guess I'll go look up those newbie questions.
Certainly. You really need to see the screen it's really jaw dropping. I'm a bit annoyed I have a branded one, the quick boot is super quick but the T mobile logo takes up about 5 seconds, meaning overall it takes about 8 seconds to boot compared to about 2 on non branded phones. Got a few questions though.

Should I stick with default HTC music? I don't really care how about changing equalizer settings and such that you get with power amp

Get Winamp. It's brilliant in comparison to stock media players.
Original post by silent ninja

Install Titanium Backup (rooted phones). You can then backup apps, data, settings, freeze apps and uninstall apps (including bloatware that can't normally be uninstalled). In a word, it's awesome and there's a reason why its bundled with certain Modaco ROMs.

If you want to back up apps only, Astro does the job in addition to being an excellent file explorer.

If you wanna impress people install Gmote and control their mouse. It works a treat lol It's a pretty good and reliable remote for your PC, otherwise, to play media and also stream it to your phone.

Once you're set, there are soo many cool apps to recommend. If you're gonna mess with ROMs, can't say this enough times but do a FULL BACKUP with Clockwork (it's really really easy to do).

Thanks for this. :smile:

Currently watching a video with rock player. Lol it's a great way to destroy my battery life, it's like watching a countdown timer :teehee:
Can't wait for a phone where the whole screen is a solar panel. This way our powerful smartphones won't run out of juice that quick. :colone:

My desires battery runs out during the day, even though I charge it fully every night. :colonhash:
Samsung Jet isn't a Android is it?

Just downloaded this. EPIC.

Would have been well handy (and impressive) if I had it for my presentation the other day.

Latest

Trending

Trending