Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Overspent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    Exeter. I only found this. http://as.exeter.ac.uk/it/email/shar...-mailaccounts/

Honestly it's not that big a deal and you don't need to go through all this trouble.

RSJ, I tried that but it said something about the servers not responding.

Thank you
    Wow, seems very complicated. You need to set up a VPN to access email off campus. Not much chance of pushing it to phone tbh.... vould make a new gmail account and forward your uni email to that, then set up the new account on your phone...

ReputationRep:
    Finally a decent fb application

Just released in the market

ReputationRep:
    Can't install on my Hero, for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Ooh weird, mine has downloaded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~style)
    This could become a society at this rate :p:

So HTC has 3 phones so far - Magic, Dream and Hero. Anything else?

Sony Ericsson also seem to be releasing an Xperia 3 operating the android OS.

Samsung have the Galaxy.

I heard Motorola have one in the making also.

Also the Hawaii.

Then there are the rumoured Dell and Archos devices/phones.

Add to that Asus and Lenovo, whatever they are planning to make with android.

Ok that's off the top of my head, anything else?
    Don't forget the HTC Wildfire. I would tap that.

My ****ty Blackberry won't work so I'm now looking for a replacement. Android methinks.

Which should I get:

HTC Wildfire
    Samsung Galaxy Europa
    Sony Ericsson X10 Mini PRO

I'm worried about the europa's wi-fi. Is it true the wi-fi is shi*

My main feature I want is 3G and FM Radio. I would also like to develop and test apps on my phone. GPS is non essential but certainly a bonus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asclepios)
    Don't forget the HTC Wildfire. I would tap that.

My ****ty Blackberry won't work so I'm now looking for a replacement. Android methinks.

Which should I get:

HTC Wildfire
    Samsung Galaxy Europa
    Sony Ericsson X10 Mini PRO

I'm worried about the europa's wi-fi. Is it true the wi-fi is shi*

My main feature I want is 3G and FM Radio. I would also like to develop and test apps on my phone. GPS is non essential but certainly a bonus
    Firstly can I ask what is your budget because then we could start to look for some better phones because imo they all aren't brilliant mainly because resolution is so small. From the reviews that I have read of the wildfire (my dad wanted one so I have done quite a bit of research) quite a few android apps are unavailable for the above phones because of the small resolution and it also makes web browsing quite difficult. Also, the poor proccessor will mean it takes quite a while for web pages to render and will also struggle rendering games. Add to this the fact that all are on ARMv6 architecture and I can see as we move into the future some apps becoming dependent on ARMv7 architecture, (Currently fennec for v7 is in beta but v6 is still in nightly build stage)

That said though, they do make excellent budget phones if all you want is a a phone for basic phone activities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Firstly can I ask what is your budget because then we could start to look for some better phones because imo they all aren't brilliant mainly because resolution is so small. From the reviews that I have read of the wildfire (my dad wanted one so I have done quite a bit of research) quite a few android apps are unavailable for the above phones because of the small resolution and it also makes web browsing quite difficult. Also, the poor proccessor will mean it takes quite a while for web pages to render and will also struggle rendering games. Add to this the fact that all are on ARMv6 architecture and I can see as we move into the future some apps becoming dependent on ARMv7 architecture, (Currently fennec for v7 is in beta but v6 is still in nightly build stage)

That said though, they do make excellent budget phones if all you want is a a phone for basic phone activities
    £150 -ish is my budget +/- £10say £20.
    Im selling my Bberry for £62 at CEX. I'm banned completely no go back on ebay and amazon.

I have other money saved. So you mean certain apps won't work on these phones?
    Can I build and test apps on all of the above I mentioned. Your jargon confuses me lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asclepios)
    £150 -ish is my budget +/- £10say £20.
    Im selling my Bberry for £62 at CEX. I'm banned completely no go back on ebay and amazon.

I have other money saved. So you mean certain apps won't work on these phones?
    Can I build and test apps on all of the above I mentioned. Your jargon confuses me lol
    All I am trying to say is that the screen is too small that it is unsupported for certain apps such as angry birds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowtrees)
    on a 36month contract?
    if thats on 18 or 24 can your sister get me a contract as well
    24 month

ReputationRep:
    My First App.

(Srsly, I only changed the package name away from com.example.helloworld just before signing it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    My First App.

(Srsly, I only changed the package name away from com.example.helloworld just before signing it).
    I like that it's a meter, of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I like that it's a meter, of stuff.
    Like, totally.

ReputationRep:
    FB update works fine on my Hero.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter. I only found this. http://as.exeter.ac.uk/it/email/shar...-mailaccounts/

Honestly it's not that big a deal and you don't need to go through all this trouble.

RSJ, I tried that but it said something about the servers not responding.

Thank you
    Mail > Menu button > New account > Exchange ActiveSync Account.

Then press the manual setup button.
    Details you need are:
    Email address: [your email address]
    Server address: owa.ex.ac.uk
    Domain: isad
    Username: [your uni username e.g. JABloggs]
    password: [your uni password]

Finally, tick the SSL box and press next. It should work from there.

I got these instructions from this page:
    http://as.exeter.ac.uk/it/email/other/
    And also adapted this PDF to apply to Android instead of iPhone:
    http://as.exeter.ac.uk/media/level1/...structions.pdf

(Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Mail > Menu button > New account > Exchange ActiveSync Account.

Then press the manual setup button.
    Details you need are:
    Email address: [your email address]
    Server address: owa.ex.ac.uk
    Domain: isad
    Username: [your uni username e.g. JABloggs]
    password: [your uni password]

Finally, tick the SSL box and press next. It should work from there.

I got these instructions from this page:
    http://as.exeter.ac.uk/it/email/other/
    And also adapted this PDF to apply to Android instead of iPhone:
    http://as.exeter.ac.uk/media/level1/...structions.pdf
    I could probably kiss you right about now. Thank you so much. It finally works. Will rep in a minute.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, my HTC desire should arrive monday =D

just wanted some reccomendations on some cool games, aswell as useful apps ect aswell as any other random tips you guys wanna share thanks =]

(Original post by G8D)
    Works for me.

AS DOES CRONOS FROYO 1.5.1!!!! :woo:

Everything works so much better! Especially the Gallery; no more bugs or weirdly positioned text :top:

I got Angry Birds and some other things. APKTor is pretty cool.

(Original post by Installation)
    Overspent?
    Nah I'm on a rolling contract, but they took the remaining balance on PAYG SIM card so I got the first month free, and I should get a discount on my second month :proud:

I could probably kiss you right about now.
    Hey if I'd seen this earlier I would have helped you

just sayin'

ReputationRep:
    Donate version of Titanium installs apps without me needing to allow them :smug:

(Original post by G8D)
    Donate version of Titanium installs apps without me needing to allow them :smug:
    Yes, that's what I used.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.