Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    Yeah but I mean which FW is it on Éclair, go into Settings --> About phone then scroll down and have a look at the Baseband version...what does it say?

It should say something like I9000XXxxx....
    Do you not feel that the Samsung is quite.. cheap feeling? That would put me off getting it, or similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Do you not feel that the Samsung is quite.. cheap feeling? That would put me off getting it, or similar.
    I don't think so, I know what you mean though. The phone's pretty light and the material is bit iffy but I really like the design and how slim it is. The screen more than makes up for it though imo, I even compared it to the Desire HD and it just looks so much better :dice:

I can't say I regret getting it at all

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so, I know what you mean though. The phone's pretty light and the material is bit iffy but I really like the design and how slim it is. The screen more than makes up for it though imo, I even compared it to the Desire HD and it just looks so much better :dice:

I can't say I regret getting it at all
    Speed-wise it is unmatched.. But I think I will stick with HTC for aesthetics/feel.
    My contract isn't up until September anyway, who knows what we'll be seeing then :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Speed-wise it is unmatched.. But I think I will stick with HTC for aesthetics/feel.
    My contract isn't up until September anyway, who knows what we'll be seeing then :moon:
    I know what you mean cos the HTC does feel solid and really well built...but a Super AMOLED screen :excited:

I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep this phone for tbh, paid £300 for it and I seem to be prone to buying a new phone every year

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean cos the HTC does feel solid and really well built...but a Super AMOLED screen :excited:

I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep this phone for tbh, paid £300 for it and I seem to be prone to buying a new phone every year
    I'd consider upgrading before my contract ends, but I also want to move out next year, so we'll see :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I'd consider upgrading before my contract ends, but I also want to move out next year, so we'll see :moon:
    I'm on the Tesco £10 a month contract so I can't afford to get a new phone and it works out cheaper than getting stuck in a 18/24 month contract :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the Tesco £10 a month contract so I can't afford to get a new phone and it works out cheaper than getting stuck in a 18/24 month contract :awesome:
    It's the route I'd like to go down :p:

2 years is just too long to have a Hero.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin J)
    An update came up on my hero but I clicked update later. I now have no idea how to access the update. I've tried turning on/turning off/removing SIM card, but it didn't work.

Any ideas?

(Original post by ?!master?!mini?!)
    Menu.settings.about.check for software update.
    When I go to about the only options I have are status, legal information and system tutorial.

Anyone else know?

EDIT: I done it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    It's the route I'd like to go down :p:

2 years is just too long to have a Hero.
    Tbh 2 years on any phone is too long for me...

I'm not sure what apps to get for my phone...it's been so long since my last Android phone that I don't even know what they're capable of anymore! :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Tbh 2 years on any phone is too long for me...

I'm not sure what apps to get for my phone...it's been so long since my last Android phone that I don't even know what they're capable of anymore! :sigh:
    Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja aaaaaaaaaaaand idk tbh.

Whatever Android is capable of.. my Hero isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja aaaaaaaaaaaand idk tbh.

Whatever Android is capable of.. my Hero isn't.
    That's the problem, I've got so many games on my iPod touch that it seems kinda pointless getting them on the Android market.

When did you get the Hero? It seems a bit on the weak side in terms of it's processor

ReputationRep:
    That's the problem, I've got so many games on my iPod touch that it seems kinda pointless getting them on the Android market.

When did you get the Hero? It seems a bit on the weak side in terms of it's processor
    I got mine last September. It was like 2 months after it was released or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I got mine last September. It was like 2 months after it was released or something.
    Ah right fair enough, and you've got 2.2 on it now?

ReputationRep:
    Ah right fair enough, and you've got 2.2 on it now?
    Not officially :proud:
    It's good, it added to my phones longevity to some extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~style)
    This could become a society at this rate :p:

So HTC has 3 phones so far - Magic, Dream and Hero. Anything else?

Sony Ericsson also seem to be releasing an Xperia 3 operating the android OS.

Samsung have the Galaxy.

I heard Motorola have one in the making also.

Also the Hawaii.

Then there are the rumoured Dell and Archos devices/phones.

Add to that Asus and Lenovo, whatever they are planning to make with android.

Ok that's off the top of my head, anything else?
    dont forget the Nexus One. The party started and im a proud owner worked for google and gave 2000 of them away for free at the global mobile event in Barcelona last february and they gave me one for free .oh yeah. google all the way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amagalhaes1)
    dont forget the Nexus One. The party started and im a proud owner worked for google and gave 2000 of them away for free at the global mobile event in Barcelona last february and they gave me one for free .oh yeah. google all the way
    That was posted 12-08-2009: 12th August 2009 12:33 :rofl:
    There have been plenty more HTC phones since then! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Not officially :proud:
    It's good, it added to my phones longevity to some extent.
    Was there any planned update for the Hero for 2.2?

It's good that I updated to 2.2 cos the GPS lock was a bit poor on 2.1...seems like a common problem with the SGS too.

ReputationRep:
    Was there any planned update for the Hero for 2.2?

It's good that I updated to 2.2 cos the GPS lock was a bit poor on 2.1...seems like a common problem with the SGS too.
    There was a struggle for HTC to push the 2.1 update for the Hero, 2.2 will never happen officially :p:

GPS issue was a SGS thing I think, not 2.1..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    There was a struggle for HTC to push the 2.1 update for the Hero, 2.2 will never happen officially :p:

GPS issue was a SGS thing I think, not 2.1..
    But people are reporting that it is better on 2.2, I bought the phone to use as a SatNav and I've used it a couple of times now and it doesn't have a problem locking onto satellites. I didn't use it on 2.1 though so I can't say if there has been any improvements.

Are you hoping that someone brings out a Gingerbread FW for your phone then when it comes out cos it's rumoured to be in the very near future...

ReputationRep:
    But people are reporting that it is better on 2.2, I bought the phone to use as a SatNav and I've used it a couple of times now and it doesn't have a problem locking onto satellites. I didn't use it on 2.1 though so I can't say if there has been any improvements.

Are you hoping that someone brings out a Gingerbread FW for your phone then when it comes out cos it's rumoured to be in the very near future...
    Sorry I meant 2.1 SGS, not just SGS generally.

If the devs can work around the kernal issues that will no doubt occur between the Hero's 2.1 kernal and 2.3 ROMs then it will most likely happen , it doesn't seem to be a huge update anyway from what has been leaked.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.