The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by patra
Hey!!!
I might be getting the samsung galaxy S for my birthday! But is it really a good phone and worth that price?

Yeah and depends on your contract.
Original post by patra

Original post by patra
Hey!!!
I might be getting the samsung galaxy S for my birthday! But is it really a good phone and worth that price?

It depends on your budget and with CES and MWC there are going to be shedloads of phones announced/released right across the price spectrum
Reply 2982
Original post by RollerBall
Yeah and depends on your contract.

well I am planning to go on PAYG rather than contract!
Reply 2983
would it be better to wait for the new year as better phones will be coming out, or should i get the samsung galaxy S?
Reply 2984
Original post by patra
would it be better to wait for the new year as better phones will be coming out, or should i get the samsung galaxy S?

Honestly this close to CES, I'd wait. Either you lap up the SGS for cheaper due to the all the new tech, or you get the new tech.

Still looking at the Optimus 2X. 1080P recording? Please.
Reply 2985
Original post by Kaph
Honestly this close to CES, I'd wait. Either you lap up the SGS for cheaper due to the all the new tech, or you get the new tech.

Still looking at the Optimus 2X. 1080P recording? Please.

firstly what is CES? sorry I am not very techy.....I was also looking at the Optimus 2X isn't that out late Jan? :confused:
Reply 2986
Damn! I manage to root my phone, but when I try to replace the .png files via NinjaMorph it ain't happening. This is well annoying, especially since I'm so close to finishing up.
Reply 2987
Original post by wizard710
I only a 100mb available when I kill everything :frown:

Oh well, I will be getting a new phone this year and will probably wait till after MWC

Just so you know task killer apps can actually in most cases be worse for the performance overall, you're much better off killing apps that run away with CPU usage for no reason for this reason I'd recommend Watchdog Lite which is available in the market for free, it keeps an eye on apps CPU usage and pops up a warning if one starts running off with it for no reason.
What os does blackberry use? I bet android is better :tongue:
Original post by blueray
What os does blackberry use? I bet android is better :tongue:

It uses BlackBerry OS.
Original post by BillV3

Original post by BillV3
Just so you know task killer apps can actually in most cases be worse for the performance overall, you're much better off killing apps that run away with CPU usage for no reason for this reason I'd recommend Watchdog Lite which is available in the market for free, it keeps an eye on apps CPU usage and pops up a warning if one starts running off with it for no reason.

Oh I know that and don't actively use it. Was just saying that the only way for me to explicitly get 100MB of RAM is to kill everything
id turn of my phone :biggrin:
Original post by LetoKynes
Hey guys, just picked up my Android device about a week ago and it came with a 3gb FUP.

I've been looking at my unbilled use on the My T-Mobile site and for some reason there seems to be random charges under "Mobile Data Usage". For most of the items there is a base cost, but then a billed cost of 0. But every once in a while the base cost doesn't seem to be "waived", so to say.

I haven't been out of the UK (or Scotland for that matter) since getting the phone.

Under mobile network settings I have already unchecked Data roaming. T-Mobile Internet is selected as my access point.

Where are these charges coming from and how can I stop them? :frown: It adds up to about 5 pounds now.. it's not too bad but it'll add up if I don't put a stop to this now :s-smilie:

I'd contact T-Mobile, tbh.
Original post by Mad Vlad
I'd contact T-Mobile, tbh.

what phone do you have vlad
Original post by G8D
Every time my WiFi drops connection mobile internet turns on :lolwut:

Woke up this morning with 110% data usage :s-smilie:

Chuffing hell... were you downloading video in 1080p overnight on the WiFi or something? :eek:
Original post by blueray
what phone do you have vlad

A heavily modded ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco), though I may consider an upgrade if there's anything outstanding coming out of CES.
Original post by G8D
I reckon it's the twitter/facebook push server.
It went from around 75% to 110% :s-smilie:

Ruddy hell... I suppose if you've got like 100000000000 friends, the new push feature on the Facebook app will be updating your feed every time someone posts something. :erm: Same goes for twitter...

Ouch :frown:
I personally dislike the Andriod OS. The amount of things that are running the background, and applications that trace your location are ridiculous . It's not needed. Personally I'm an iOS person. Sleek and the transitions between apps are amazing. You rarely see an app crash within iOS and it doesn't have that horrible second lag when scrolling through your apps.

But I'm not slating it to an extent, It is amazing for Object orientated programming learning and teaching Java. But personally it's not my field.
Original post by G8D
You're not referring to iOS when you talk about smoothness and lack of lag. You are talking about the iPhone 4 (3G/3GS have plenty of lag).

What's wrong with running programs in the background? It provided for a smoother experience overall. Android manages it efficiently, I have no complaints.

It had very little lag, even with the previous iPhones/iPods. The simplicity is what makes it appealing, Yeah the Andriod has it's uses but It cannot manage memory efficiently. Before I moved to iOS, I was always quitting apps in the task manager. It really isn't needed to do that in the first place.

It has been like that since Andriod was introduced in 2005 and bought by Google. It will always be like that. Whereas Apple have always improved the design, content, user interaction etc. Like who needs an Anti Virus on an Andriod.
Original post by MikeeyMon
I personally dislike the Andriod OS. The amount of things that are running the background, and applications that trace your location are ridiculous . It's not needed. Personally I'm an iOS person. Sleek and the transitions between apps are amazing. You rarely see an app crash within iOS and it doesn't have that horrible second lag when scrolling through your apps.

But I'm not slating it to an extent, It is amazing for Object orientated programming learning and teaching Java. But personally it's not my field.

Just because iOS abstracts processes and the kernel from the user, doesn't mean that they're not running in the background. The majority of my apps don't require details of my location, and besides, that's normally just for ad-purposes, and don't even think of pulling the app-privacy card (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/28/apple_privacy_lawsuit/). I have no lag when scrolling through my apps on a relatively low powered phone and it's rare that I've seen an app crash on my phone.

You seem to have a pretty subjective view of Android. I've played with both Android and iOS and they're both equally competent. iOS is just prettier from the off (which can be achieved with Android with a bit of customisation) and Android offers you more freedom (which can be achieved with iOS if you void the warranty by Jailbreaking it) and a range of handsets >1)