Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    3rd of Feb is when I can upgrade... I'm looking forward to seeing what's out by then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    3rd of Feb is when I can upgrade... I'm looking forward to seeing what's out by then.
    Engadget is reporting that the PSPhone is not benchmarking as good as other phones http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/09/e...enchmarked-on/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Engadget is reporting that the PSPhone is not benchmarking as good as other phones http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/09/e...enchmarked-on/
    Yeah, I saw that, though I'd expect they've got a lot of work to go before the software is finalised. Either way, it's too big for me to consider.

ReputationRep:
    Hey people, what phone do you recommend for an Android newcomer (I do like the OS, but currently have an iPhone 3G)? I was thinking of the Galaxy S but I'm not sure what's best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    Hey people, what phone do you recommend for an Android newcomer (I do like the OS, but currently have an iPhone 3G)? I was thinking of the Galaxy S but I'm not sure what's best.
    Galaxy S/Nexus S are the best phones currently (or soon to be) on the market.
    But the Desire/Desire HD are also good contenders, and they look ****ing amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Galaxy S/Nexus S are the best phones currently (or soon to be) on the market.
    But the Desire/Desire HD are also good contenders, and they look ****ing amazing.
    Could you recommend the best deal on the Galaxy S? I'm not bothered about minutes tbh, just having a fair few texts and a good amount of internet data. My prefered networks are O2/Tesco Mobile... and I don't mind whether I get contract or PAYG, whatever works out cheaper over about 2 years.

Thanks. ;D

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think of the android os?
    Might get an android phone

ReputationRep:
    Could you recommend the best deal on the Galaxy S? I'm not bothered about minutes tbh, just having a fair few texts and a good amount of internet data. My prefered networks are O2/Tesco Mobile... and I don't mind whether I get contract or PAYG, whatever works out cheaper over about 2 years.

Thanks. ;D
    I have no clue.
    I'm still working with a year and bit old phone so I'm not savvy to recent deals.
    Maybe someone with an SGS can help you

(Original post by ethiokid)
    Android is the business.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ethiokid)
    It's just soo much freedom and I've only had the phone for a few day, I've not even rooted it yet. If you want someone to hold your hand then get IOS if you like the freedom to truly customise your phone to exactly what you want then Android all the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    I don't actually think I've had a worse day with my phone than today :sigh: Had to revert back to RFS for the file system to update the kernel and I ended up not being able to get rid of it! Thankfully I managed it now though....

On that point I wonder if the Nexus S will have RFS as it's file system or maybe Samsung cottoned on to the fact that it just fails :rolleyes:
    Assuming you have a Galaxy S you can do the lagfix and disbale RFS and make them all Ext 4

ReputationRep:
    Defo an amazing phone! :sogood:

(Original post by mcp2)
    Assuming you have a Galaxy S you can do the lagfix and disbale RFS and make them all Ext 4
    I'm on ext2 atm, not bothered with 4 cos apparently 2 is the best all round? I like it anyway, it's a lot faster than the stock kernel and filesystem. But still you shouldn't have to change it, Samsung made a pretty big mistake having it as rfs tbf.

ReputationRep:

Thanks. ;D
    Depends tbh, I got the £10 a month contract Tesco contract and bought the phone separately and overall it works out at around £22,50 per month which I'm more than happy with.

ReputationRep:
    Guys what apps should I defo have for my phone?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by adrenaline1989)
    Guys what apps should I defo have for my phone?
    Angry birds, OS monitor and battery status.

I love abduction, even purchased it lol

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise quite how much Titanium backup is a lifesaver :sogood:

There's quite a few Gingerbread themes already for the SGS...looks pretty sexual :sexface:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I didn't realise quite how much Titanium backup is a lifesaver :sogood:

There's quite a few Gingerbread themes already for the SGS...looks pretty sexual :sexface:
    Why is it a life saver?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Why is it a life saver?
    I was flashing my kernel and it wiped all my programmes (I never learn) and the save data, I managed to reinstall them all pretty easily through it. I had to flash the fw twice last night as well so it kept all my programs through that too...probably the most useful program I've got on the phone atm. Just gotta make sure not to restore stuff like system data after a flash cos it can cause all sorts of problems

ReputationRep:
    I was flashing my kernel and it wiped all my programmes (I never learn) and the save data, I managed to reinstall them all pretty easily through it. I had to flash the fw twice last night as well so it kept all my programs through that too...probably the most useful program I've got on the phone atm. Just gotta make sure not to restore stuff like system data after a flash cos it can cause all sorts of problems
    Titanium is the *******s.
    I think there is a setting somewhere (maybe on the paid version only) where it will automatically restore stuff.

Anyway, I paid for it to support the developer. The paid one loads quicker and it has a few more features. The free one is awesome enough.

Another couple of contact apps I've installed:
    Group SMS -- SMS groups that you created in Gmail. Very handy when you wanna SMS the whole football team for a meet. Android should have this is standard-- why let you create groups but not use them?
    Contacto's - useful for non-HTC phones that won't let you send contact details via SMS. Does exactly what it says but again, stupid Android should have this as standard.

Handscent is pretty good, very customisable, although I find it misses the odd notification. I dont know why. If you're happy with the stock Android message service (like me), then SMS Popup is a good addition. It let's you tinker with notification settings (lights, reminders, length of vibration, privacy etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Titanium is the *******s.
    I think there is a setting somewhere (maybe on the paid version only) where it will automatically restore stuff.

Anyway, I paid for it to support the developer. The paid one loads quicker and it has a few more features. The free one is awesome enough.
    I'm thinking about paying for it too for the auto restore feature, it's a pain to have to restore 60 apps let alone 100's....especially now that there seems to be a new ROM leaked every other day...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.