Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by commandant)
    I love abduction, even purchased it lol
    +1, Abduction series is really impressive.
    n i g g e r

ReputationRep:
    Engadget have reviewed the Nexus S.
    So overall impression is: best Android phone out there but a little underwhelming (considering the hype toward Gingerbread and upcoming dual core phones).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Engadget have reviewed the Nexus S.
    So overall impression is: best Android phone out there but a little underwhelming (considering the hype toward Gingerbread and upcoming dual core phones).
    Tbf though Gingerbread wasn't that big a step up from Froyo...

Honeycomb is where it's at at :cool:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    To be honest it doesn't really push the boundaries of the mobile phone space. I was waiting for it, but I'm so impressed with my desire hd that it wouldn't be worthpaying extra for the nexus s. Gingerbread will hopefully come to CM soon.

ReputationRep:
    The Nexus S is actually pretty expensive though, hm. Really not a fan of a 24 month contract, probably works out far cheaper for SimOnly + buy the phone outright, but don't have that kind of money outright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    To be honest it doesn't really push the boundaries of the mobile phone space. I was waiting for it, but I'm so impressed with my desire hd that it wouldn't be worthpaying extra for the nexus s. Gingerbread will hopefully come to CM soon.
    Have you kept stock fw or have you started playing around with it yet?

Btw on a different note, hows hunting for a placement going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    Depends tbh, I got the £10 a month contract Tesco contract and bought the phone separately and overall it works out at around £22,50 per month which I'm more than happy with.
    Wow. Is that with internet too? And how long is the contract?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    Wow. Is that with internet too? And how long is the contract?

Cheers.
    Yeah that was with 500mb of internet, it's a 30 day rolling contract so I could cancel whenever I wanted to. You'll have to go into a Tesco which has the mobile phone shop but ring ahead and ask them because I'm not too sure if this offer is still available.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Have you kept stock fw or have you started playing around with it yet?

Btw on a different note, hows hunting for a placement going?
    I'm just kind of easing myself into it. So far I've only temp rooted with visionary to get some apps like shoot me to work. Thing is my phone is super quick all the time so I haven't really needed a custom rom yet. The only annoying thing is the t mobile branding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    I'm just kind of easing myself into it. So far I've only temp rooted with visionary to get some apps like shoot me to work. Thing is my phone is super quick all the time so I haven't really needed a custom rom yet. The only annoying thing is the t mobile branding.
    I had the T-Mobile branding on mine too, got rid on the first day....I can see why you might not upgrade though on the DHD...stock ROM isn't too shabby ^^

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that was with 500mb of internet, it's a 30 day rolling contract so I could cancel whenever I wanted to. You'll have to go into a Tesco which has the mobile phone shop but ring ahead and ask them because I'm not too sure if this offer is still available.
    Cheers. When you said you bought the phone separately, do you mean from Tesco as well, or from somewhere else?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Anyone have insurance on their phones, I'm thinking it would be smart for me too. But T mobile quoted my 7.99 a month which is quite frankly too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    Cheers. When you said you bought the phone separately, do you mean from Tesco as well, or from somewhere else?
    Ebay. The price of the SGS must have come down a bit now though so you could probably pick it up cheaper than what I did (£300)....it was brand new though, the seal hadn't even been broken.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch. I did some costing, really can't justify the Nexus S. Not for the price, given it's basically the same hardware as the SGS.

The other thing that annoys me are how they cost it in the UK compared to the US. $529 in the US, $869 here.

ReputationRep:
    Ebay. The price of the SGS must have come down a bit now though so you could probably pick it up cheaper than what I did (£300)....it was brand new though, the seal hadn't even been broken.
    £377 on Amazon was the best I could see after a quick scan.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003TLNZL...SIN=B003TLNZLI

ReputationRep:
    So I've been looking at the Nexus S and, purely as a phone, it looks nice and seems like a quality phone.

I'm considering selling my iPhone 4 and taking the plunge. The biggest worry is that some apps - like Facebook and Twitter - seem to have a lack of polish. Perhaps this shouldn't be a deal-breaker, but using iOS for over two years draws these automatic comparisons especially when there seems to be little alternative beside the official apps.

I was also looking at customisation of the lock and home screen, and particularly with the latter all the app/widgets etc. seem to be listed but implementing them seems to be an entirely different experience. Is customisation done from within the apps, or does something have to be done aside from downloading the icons onto your phone and suchlike? (If you want me to post the image for a better idea, I will.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonCha)
    So I've been looking at the Nexus S and, purely as a phone, it looks nice and seems like a quality phone.

I'm considering selling my iPhone 4 and taking the plunge. The biggest worry is that some apps - like Facebook and Twitter - seem to have a lack of polish. Perhaps this shouldn't be a deal-breaker, but using iOS for over two years draws these automatic comparisons especially when there seems to be little alternative beside the official apps.

I was also looking at customisation of the lock and home screen, and particularly with the latter all the app/widgets etc. seem to be listed but implementing them seems to be an entirely different experience. Is customisation done from within the apps, or does something have to be done aside from downloading the icons onto your phone and suchlike? (If you want me to post the image for a better idea, I will.)
    The Twitter app is sufficient for me, though there are better alternatives out there for serious Tweeters (not me).
    Facebook just lacks chat and FULL message support and it will be perfect. But at the moment I use touch.facebook.com for messages and Meebo/Nimbuzz for chat (though rarely).

Can you go into further detail? Your question doesn't make sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Can you go into further detail? Your question doesn't make sense to me.
    So here's the link to where I found lock screen customisation that I liked. It's right at the top. The guy says that these elements make up what he did:

LauncherPro [obviously]
    Quick Battery
    SimiClock
    Beautiful Widgets
    OneSeven
    SMS Unread Count
    Icons are Colourful.
    Now if I downloaded all of this, would I be able to create the exact experience on my phone? I know sometimes that you have to move, and edit, images on your computer to create specific themes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonCha)
    So here's the link to where I found lock screen customisation that I liked. It's right at the top. The guy says that these elements make up what he did:

Now if I downloaded all of this, would I be able to create the exact experience on my phone? I know sometimes that you have to move, and edit, images on your computer to create specific themes.
    Yes. You'd need to discover what Beautiful widget theme it was though.
    I have not used most of those apps do I am not sure personally how to do it.
    You would need LauncherPro Plus ('paid' version) in order to full have control over the homescreen (increase columns/rows, resize widgets etc etc) but this is easy to acquire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Yes. You'd need to discover what Beautiful widget theme it was though.
    I have not used most of those apps do I am not sure personally how to do it.
    You would need LauncherPro Plus ('paid' version) in order to full have control over the homescreen (increase columns/rows, resize widgets etc etc) but this is easy to acquire.
    Sounds like fairly simple stuff, then.

Also, I just downloaded the icons to see what they're like. However I have no idea how to get them on to the lock screen, but I guess that's something I could think about perhaps next week or so.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.