Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    not sure if it has been asked already so aplogies if it has, but does anybody know when the 2.2 updte will be released by o2 for the Dell Streak?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone tried both SwiftKey and Swype?

I've had the Swype beta for a few days, and I'm not sure which I prefer...

ReputationRep:
    Cyanogen anyone? Awesome ROM - and more than makes up for lack of Sense with Launcher Pro and other assisted apps. The drawing of an envelope to open your SMS screen isn't just novelty...it's a class bit of development.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Having trouble deciding between the HTC Desire and the Samsung Galaxy S...So far leaning towards the Desire but I'm not sure - help, please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplesky)
    Hi,

Having trouble deciding between the HTC Desire and the Samsung Galaxy S...So far leaning towards the Desire but I'm not sure - help, please?
    Deffo the Desire my step sister has the Gaxay and IMO the build quality isn't as good as it should be. If you can afford a few extra quid why not get the Desire HD?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ritchie888)
    I hope someone can answer something I've been thinking about since the announcement of the Nexus S.

I have a Nexus one, I love it, I have no intention of getting the new Nexus (possibly because I think it's a massive disappointment, especially as it's 95% the same spec as the N1, but mostly because I've only have the N1 for five months).

What I've been Googling and trying to find out is, what is the fate of the N1?

Currently its at the front of EVERY update, if there's something new, you better believe the Nexus one will get it first.
    Now, with the new Nexus I expect it to take the front line with every update, but surely with the MASSIVE developer group all with N1's, surely it won't become complete unsupported from the 16th onwards? With the very similar spec would both the N1 and NS have the same ROM when they're released?

I love having my phone receive the latest update as soon as they're announced, it would be a massive disappointment if it takes months/years to get the update from now on.
    Given the Froyo install base, there's no chance developers will "abandon" the support for 2.2. Google have also said that the NexusOne won't stop receieving timely firmware updates just because a newer phone has been released.

And because the hardware isn't even nearly as similar as you make out, I think there's virtually no chance whatsoever that they'll run the same ROM :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCasual)
    Deffo the Desire my step sister has the Gaxay and IMO the build quality isn't as good as it should be. If you can afford a few extra quid why not get the Desire HD?
    Thanks
    The problem I have with the Desire HD is how massive it is - for me, it's just too big to be practical.

ReputationRep:
    TBF I think the Galaxy has a 4 inch screen so isn't that much smaller. IMO HTC make the best phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCasual)
    TBF I think the Galaxy has a 4 inch screen so isn't that much smaller. IMO HTC make the best phone.
    Build-wise this is definitely the case.

Spec wise we just need to wait for the next generation of Android phones from HTC.

ReputationRep:
    The next gen is so close. Between now and iPhone 5 we'll see just about everything. With the LG Star boasting incredible specs, i wanna see what HTC offer as well. I hope battery life is addressed. A phone has to do 24 hours comfortably with moderately high usage imo, not with all these workarounds and task killers etc that's what a smartphone is all about.

ReputationRep:
    Cyanogen looks as awesome as ****. Pity it isn't out for the Nexus S.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonCha)
    Cyanogen looks as awesome as ****. Pity it isn't out for the Nexus S.
    I have no doubt it will be ported over if the Nexus S is easy to root.

ReputationRep:
    So I just phoned up Carphone Warehouse to ask about delivery times, and they basically said they have no idea (especially with this god dam snow coming from tomorrow). They said ordering to store is the safer bet, the only problem being it's probably going to be quite difficult to get up there if the forecasts are correct.

Edit: just finished on the phone with O2 and they said that I will have to pay off my contract (£105), but I may be able to get some discounts. They also confirmed that I pay 14 days after my phone is activated, which is good news as I didn't want to be charged without having a phone.

I love it when a plan comes together!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    The next gen is so close. Between now and iPhone 5 we'll see just about everything. With the LG Star boasting incredible specs, i wanna see what HTC offer as well. I hope battery life is addressed. A phone has to do 24 hours comfortably with moderately high usage imo, not with all these workarounds and task killers etc that's what a smartphone is all about.
    From what I have heard is battery life will be improved because the CPU splits the work between the cores and isn't pounded as much as a single core CPU

ReputationRep:
    Only just discovered this thread...my HTC desire lags so much! I may factory reset, does anyone know of any good back-up methods?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielharris627)
    Only just discovered this thread...my HTC desire lags so much! I may factory reset, does anyone know of any good back-up methods?
    Titanium Backup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Titanium Backup.
    Needs root access though doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Only for full features I think.

EDIT: Nah, you're right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Since when were you in Sheffield? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    Since when were you in Sheffield? :curious:
    Start of term

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.