Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Chuffing hell... were you downloading video in 1080p overnight on the WiFi or something? :eek:
    I reckon it's the twitter/facebook push server.
    It went from around 75% to 110%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I reckon it's the twitter/facebook push server.
    It went from around 75% to 110%
    Ruddy hell... I suppose if you've got like 100000000000 friends, the new push feature on the Facebook app will be updating your feed every time someone posts something. :erm: Same goes for twitter...

Ouch

ReputationRep:
    I personally dislike the Andriod OS. The amount of things that are running the background, and applications that trace your location are ridiculous . It's not needed. Personally I'm an iOS person. Sleek and the transitions between apps are amazing. You rarely see an app crash within iOS and it doesn't have that horrible second lag when scrolling through your apps.

But I'm not slating it to an extent, It is amazing for Object orientated programming learning and teaching Java. But personally it's not my field.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Ruddy hell... I suppose if you've got like 100000000000 friends, the new push feature on the Facebook app will be updating your feed every time someone posts something. :erm: Same goes for twitter...

Ouch
    Yeah I only said Facebook because it's similar, I didn't have any notifications from that

I woke up with plenty of Twitter (I use it as a news feed) and email notifications though.

Oh well. Apparently Orange are quite lenient bout the allowance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeeyMon)
    I personally dislike the Andriod OS. The amount of things that are running the background, and applications that trace your location are ridiculous . It's not needed. Personally I'm an iOS person. Sleek and the transitions between apps are amazing. You rarely see an app crash within iOS and it doesn't have that horrible second lag when scrolling through your apps.

But I'm not slating it to an extent, It is amazing for Object orientated programming learning and teaching Java. But personally it's not my field.
    You're not referring to iOS when you talk about smoothness and lack of lag. You are talking about the iPhone 4 (3G/3GS have plenty of lag).

What's wrong with running programs in the background? It provided for a smoother experience overall. Android manages it efficiently, I have no complaints.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    You're not referring to iOS when you talk about smoothness and lack of lag. You are talking about the iPhone 4 (3G/3GS have plenty of lag).

What's wrong with running programs in the background? It provided for a smoother experience overall. Android manages it efficiently, I have no complaints.
    It had very little lag, even with the previous iPhones/iPods. The simplicity is what makes it appealing, Yeah the Andriod has it's uses but It cannot manage memory efficiently. Before I moved to iOS, I was always quitting apps in the task manager. It really isn't needed to do that in the first place.

It has been like that since Andriod was introduced in 2005 and bought by Google. It will always be like that. Whereas Apple have always improved the design, content, user interaction etc. Like who needs an Anti Virus on an Andriod.

ReputationRep:
    It had very little lag, even with the previous iPhones/iPods. The simplicity is what makes it appealing, Yeah the Andriod has it's uses but It cannot manage memory efficiently. Before I moved to iOS, I was always quitting apps in the task manager. It really isn't needed to do that in the first place.

It has been like that since Andriod was introduced in 2005 and bought by Google. It will always be like that. Whereas Apple have always improved the design, content, user interaction etc. Like who needs an Anti Virus on an Andriod.
    What Android phone did you have?

ReputationRep:

Just because iOS abstracts processes and the kernel from the user, doesn't mean that they're not running in the background. The majority of my apps don't require details of my location, and besides, that's normally just for ad-purposes, and don't even think of pulling the app-privacy card (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12...ivacy_lawsuit/). I have no lag when scrolling through my apps on a relatively low powered phone and it's rare that I've seen an app crash on my phone.

You seem to have a pretty subjective view of Android. I've played with both Android and iOS and they're both equally competent. iOS is just prettier from the off (which can be achieved with Android with a bit of customisation) and Android offers you more freedom (which can be achieved with iOS if you void the warranty by Jailbreaking it) and a range of handsets >1)

ReputationRep:
    What Android phone did you have?

The 1ghz phones are extremely zippy and very noticeably faster than my old 3gs with less lag. Even reviews such as the industry standard techradar state the iphone4 is great but it lacks the snappyness of top end Android phones when launching apps or browsing.

ReputationRep:
    No lag here on my old HTC desire. I would even say the homescreens look more modern and slick, offering more useful information to me than the standard static list of apps I had with my iPhone

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

2.2 has been a very good at memory management, people don't usually use task killers anymore. You also compare Android like it's one system, compare the Desire HD or Nexus S and you won't see any lag.

ReputationRep:
    I had the Motorola Droid. I was considering buying the HTC Desire HD. As I want to see potential improvements. Knew I was going to get slated, But I like to hear opinions from Android users.

But yeah, Will look into this more

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of the "lag" in my video clip posted above of the HTC desire? Also remember that was taken a long time ago with an old version of Android. We now have version 2.2.1 which makes the phone even more snappy. It really is impossible to slow the phone down no matter what you throw at it

ReputationRep:
    My HTC Desire is being delivered tomorrow. :dance:

I read that you can get FF7 on some Android phones, does it work on the Desire and if so, how would I do it?

Plus could you recommend me any apps to start off with?

Thanks

Whats ff7 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    Whats ff7 ?
    Final Fantasy 7 - I also saw 5 and 8 up somewhere. They're really old RPG games.

7 and 8 were on the first playstation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markuk99)
    What do you think of the "lag" in my video clip posted above of the HTC desire? Also remember that was taken a long time ago with an old version of Android. We now have version 2.2.1 which makes the phone even more snappy. It really is impossible to slow the phone down no matter what you throw at it
    Can you scroll down in your apps? I would like to see that. Otherwise my ex android phone was a dud.

(Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Final Fantasy 7 - I also saw 5 and 8 up somewhere. They're really old RPG games.

7 and 8 were on the first playstation.
    Yeah here you for all of you
    the download link is with the video (thumbs up if you like it lool )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oBogCBT9Oo

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    Yeah here you for all of you
    the download link is with the video (thumbs up if you like it lool )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oBogCBT9Oo

Hope this helps
    Ohhh that looks so awesome. So I need this PSXdroid thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Ohhh that looks so awesome. So I need this PSXdroid thing?
    You need two things. The emulator (PSXdroid) and ROMs.

It's a bit illegal but who cares? :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.