Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is rooting and installing a custom ROM really the only way I can use my university's wi-fi? Needs proxy settings to work..

(Original post by aliluvschoc)
    The battery life on the desire seems pretty ****ty :erm: but it's so responsive. TSR works really well on it :lol:
    How long did it last? *in a patronising tone lol *Were you over using it?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LetoKynes)
    Is rooting and installing a custom ROM really the only way I can use my university's wi-fi? Needs proxy settings to work..
    Surely not? If you go into settings --> Wireless and network --> Wifi settings then menu and select advanced can you not fiddle around with the proxy settings that way?

It took me a while to set up my Uni's wifi cos it requires a password and username....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    How long did it last? *in a patronising tone lol *Were you over using it?:rolleyes:
    I'm saying once a day charge is pretty much normal for it. Though it's only 3 hours to charge it so it's all good. Coming from a normal phone that will last almost a week on standby it's a bit different!

ReputationRep:
    I am planning to get the new Android ... LG Optimus 2X!! What you guys think about it? Is it is a good phone compared to the HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy and the IPHONE?

ReputationRep:
    Hey people, I have both Gameboid and GBCoid, neither will play games. I have the bios, what am I doing wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patra)
    I am planning to get the new Android ... LG Optimus 2X!! What you guys think about it? Is it is a good phone compared to the HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy and the IPHONE?
    I am going to wait till after CES/MWC but the Optimus 2X is a very good phone and I you can't wait, it is what I would get now

(Original post by wizard710)
    I am going to wait till after CES/MWC but the Optimus 2X is a very good phone and I you can't wait, it is what I would get now
    Any pics?

ReputationRep:
    http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/...optimus_2x.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Just gotten me the Samsung Galaxy Apollo. Its not as good as an iphone but dear god are they giving away those things!

Previous phone - Samsung G600
    Previous tarriff - T-Mobile £15 per month, Unlimited texts, 300 minutes

Current Tarriff- T-Mobile £15 per month for Unlimited internet, unlimited texts and 300 minutes

There are a few things that Ill need to work out with new Android... lets just say Im definitely going to plug it into my computer and change a few things around... ehem. But I cannot believe Ive gotten a smartphone for such a good deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    Surely not? If you go into settings --> Wireless and network --> Wifi settings then menu and select advanced can you not fiddle around with the proxy settings that way?

It took me a while to set up my Uni's wifi cos it requires a password and username....
    I wish it would work that way but it doesn't.. I've found the issue discussion here:-
    http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1273

Doesn't seem like there's a way to do it otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    If I buy apps from the android market that are listed in dollars will Google checkout charge me in dollars (thus meaning I have to pay the bank for conversion) or will they convert it to pounds and charge me in pounds?

Also I would just like to say I love Android, it is the only smartphone OS I've had to date but I have used an Itouch Android just feels better than iOS to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig's student cousin)
    If I buy apps from the android market that are listed in dollars will Google checkout charge me in dollars (thus meaning I have to pay the bank for conversion) or will they convert it to pounds and charge me in pounds?

Also I would just like to say I love Android, it is the only smartphone OS I've had to date but I have used an Itouch Android just feels better than iOS to me.
    They charge it in the currency it is sold in so dollars if it is american, euros etc therefore you have to pay for conversion

You have to pay extra for conversion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Hey people, I have both Gameboid and GBCoid, neither will play games. I have the bios, what am I doing wrong?
    Get rom gripper. Then you'll be able to play. Use rom gripper, download the rom, then click play once downloaded.

Battery life is a bit pants the first couple of times you use the phone, but it lasts longer after a couple of battery cycles.

Any more Q's about the desire, just ask.

(Original post by ?!master?!mini?!)
    Get rom gripper. Then you'll be able to play. Use rom gripper, download the rom, then click play once downloaded.

Battery life is a bit pants the first couple of times you use the phone, but it lasts longer after a couple of battery cycles.

How much is desire on payg?

ReputationRep:
    You have to pay extra for conversion?
    Yeah, your bank will usually charge commission for any transaction in foreign currency

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I hard reset my HTC Wildfire and since then it won't connect to mobile internet. It says the APN is incorrect, and when I went to see the APN it says Vodafone PAYG but I'm on Pay Monthly...
    any ideas guys?

ReputationRep:
    How much is desire on payg?
    Using google shopping we come to 280-400

http://www.google.co.uk/m/products/d...49585308766242

But you can get this for cheaper if you go to eBay or buy a second hand one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?!master?!mini?!)

Managed to work it, turns out I had a dud or something.

Trying to get the play station emulator now :mmm:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.