Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    New Samsung phone announced. 4.5" SUPER AMOLED display, 1.2 Snap Dragon single core processor.

Initial thoughts : 4.5 inch is too big. I use the Desire HD which is 4.3 and that is stretching on how big a screen should be. With one hand I can reach about 70% of the screen with my thumb. Such a big S-AMOLED screen :coma:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    WhatsApp is a good one, it works cross platforms so you can bug all your iPhone friends if they have it too :p:
    thanks +rep

ReputationRep:
    Preferring the dual core Moto myself This or the LG Optimus 2X? Ahhh I love CES.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/m...ed-for-atandt/

ReputationRep:
    back from my 1 week ban for posting a picture of a turkey getting stuffed lmao

I can upgrade in february the earliest, any ideas what i should get/should i wait?

LG optimus/star looks promising but LG have never been reliable phones from loads of people i know
    galaxy s2 sounds amazing with a 2ghz processor but i now hear the rumour has been corrected and it is 1.2ghz but not dual core?
    that samsung yoyo posted looks good but 4.5 is way too big. i'm all up for big phones but i recently tried out a desire hd in store and even at 4.3 it was getting kinda stupid.... but who knows, maybe its something you get used to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    New Samsung phone announced. 4.5" SUPER AMOLED display, 1.2 Snap Dragon single core processor.

Initial thoughts : 4.5 inch is too big. I use the Desire HD which is 4.3 and that is stretching on how big a screen should be. With one hand I can reach about 70% of the screen with my thumb. Such a big S-AMOLED screen :coma:.
    That does look lush :sogood:

Samsung seem to be doing well with Android atm.

Have to you heard any news on when the DHD is getting Gingerbread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Anonymous)
    Is there any Android Apps that allow me to send free sms? (using wifi)

thanks
    Definitely WhatsApp, although it does use quite a lot of battery - I was surprised at how many of my friends use it, so I barely have to send any texts any more.
    PLUS images, sounds, and videos are free to send as well!

It also says that you have to pay after a year, but you can just uninstall, and re-install it according to a friend
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Kaph)
    Preferring the dual core Moto myself This or the LG Optimus 2X? Ahhh I love CES.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/m...ed-for-atandt/
    1GB of RAM, did I read correctly. This is certainly over kill, I have 600mb and I've never had less than 100mb free. :eek:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    back from my 1 week ban for posting a picture of a turkey getting stuffed lmao

I can upgrade in february the earliest, any ideas what i should get/should i wait?

LG optimus/star looks promising but LG have never been reliable phones from loads of people i know
    galaxy s2 sounds amazing with a 2ghz processor but i now hear the rumour has been corrected and it is 1.2ghz but not dual core?
    that samsung yoyo posted looks good but 4.5 is way too big. i'm all up for big phones but i recently tried out a desire hd in store and even at 4.3 it was getting kinda stupid.... but who knows, maybe its something you get used to
    Oh yeah I saw that :rofl:
    That does look lush :sogood:

Samsung seem to be doing well with Android atm.

Have to you heard any news on when the DHD is getting Gingerbread?
    They certainly are, it's great now they can focus on awesome hardware and leave software primarily to google.

No news on Gingerbread atm, but I estimate around late Feb, I'm not too worried when it comes anyways since a lot of the new features were aesthetic which I think sense brings anyways.

ReputationRep:
    is the htc inspire the new top of the range htc phone?

ReputationRep:
    is the htc inspire the new top of the range htc phone?
    Only just announced, looks like a carbon copy of the DHD tbh. I think you'll have to wait a couple of weeks for more details on the phones announced at the AT&T summit.

ReputationRep:
    Only just announced, looks like a carbon copy of the DHD tbh. I think you'll have to wait a couple of weeks for more details on the phones announced at the AT&T summit.
    yea true, i just spent a bit of time digging around. you got any idea about the motorola atrix however? that thing sounds like a bit of a beast

ReputationRep:
    http://phandroid.com/2011/01/05/offi...0-tablets-only
    Honeycomb, omg :sogood:

I've never wanted a tablet until now.

ReputationRep:
    yea true, i just spent a bit of time digging around. you got any idea about the motorola atrix however? that thing sounds like a bit of a beast
    It does look like a beast, it's got a fingerprint recogniser apparently too...:confused:

Thing is though these phones are gonna take a while before they become available in the UK. You might be waiting a couple of months before getting your hands on these beauties...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The Motorola Tablet will probably be my first Tablet, hoping to get it around June ish. Though if it's really expensive I'll think otherwise. I'd like to see what HTC are doing too.

ReputationRep:
    The Motorola Tablet will probably be my first Tablet, hoping to get it around June ish. Though if it's really expensive I'll think otherwise. I'd like to see what HTC are doing too.
    Is it for anything specific or do you just want one?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Is it for anything specific or do you just want one?
    It's more an impulse buy Browsing on my phone is great enough but I'd rather not use it because I want to preserve battery, and it would be cool to just use this instead of a laptop. You not that big on tablets?

ReputationRep:
    It's more an impulse buy Browsing on my phone is great enough but I'd rather not use it because I want to preserve battery, and it would be cool to just use this instead of a laptop. You not that big on tablets?
    I love them, just not their price tag. I was thinking of buying a really low end cheap android one but apparently they're pretty ****...I guess for £70/£80 you get what you pay for.

I'd probably want to use them for gaming too though which is something that the app market doesn't really accommodate for unfortunately. I might buy one over the summer but tbh I reckon I'd end up buying an iPad unless something really amazing gets released that has Android.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I love them, just not their price tag. I was thinking of buying a really low end cheap android one but apparently they're pretty ****...I guess for £70/£80 you get what you pay for.

I'd probably want to use them for gaming too though which is something that the app market doesn't really accommodate for unfortunately. I might buy one over the summer but tbh I reckon I'd end up buying an iPad unless something really amazing gets released that has Android.
    Yeah I hope they price them well. Just take the Samsung Galaxy Tab it was around the same price as the ipad, which makes you think, are Samsung serious. Why would I get that when the ipad is better. I might decide to go ipad simply because I could then get best of both worlds but then again having all google will be make things easier in terms of syncing and what not.

If the Motorola/HTC one comes in at less than 500 I'll definitely give it a look.

ReputationRep:
    No-one jizzed to Honeycomb?

Ok, cool.

geightd would be disappoint

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I hope they price them well. Just take the Samsung Galaxy Tab it was around the same price as the ipad, which makes you think, are Samsung serious. Why would I get that when the ipad is better. I might decide to go ipad simply because I could then get best of both worlds but then again having all google will be make things easier in terms of syncing and what not.

If the Motorola/HTC one comes in at less than 500 I'll definitely give it a look.
    I might go into a shop and have a play around with the Galaxy Tab to see what it's like because it did seem like it was ludicrously overpriced. In terms of functionality I'd take Android over iOS any day but I guess we'll have to see what they pull out of the bag. I'd probably jailbreak the iPad as a given....

ReputationRep:
    i want to find an android developer, pls any one tell me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.