Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    25 mins of my life I will gladly waste.

EDIT: The interviewer is pretty ****.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't they have any videos of the atrix without showing off the laptop dock/multimedia dock :sigh:

also not a fan of motoblur, had a look around at it and i don't think i'd get a long well with it. Not a fan of rooting either so that might be a bit of a problem lol
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    Why can't they have any videos of the atrix without showing off the laptop dock/multimedia dock :sigh:

also not a fan of motoblur, had a look around at it and i don't think i'd get a long well with it. Not a fan of rooting either so that might be a bit of a problem lol
    I assume a lot of people are looking to flash a custom ROM, if the phone is released in June I can't see any stable ROM's coming till about August/September since it's likely the bootloader will be locked. Depends on the adoption rate, but HTC/Samsung can release a dual core phone by then the atrix won't do as well since the community seems to have more of a preference for these manufacturers than the others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    I assume a lot of people are looking to flash a custom ROM, if the phone is released in June I can't see any stable ROM's coming till about August/September since it's likely the bootloader will be locked. Depends on the adoption rate, but HTC/Samsung can release a dual core phone by then the atrix won't do as well since the community seems to have more of a preference for these manufacturers than the others.
    Knowing Moto the Atrix with have a killer US ad campaign and it will take of like nobody's business.
    SO assuming theres not too much difference between the 4G/3G Atrix (like there was between the Droid/Milestone) then it could have more dev support than you think

ReputationRep:

Yeah, out of all the custom skins I think it is the worst looking but I have never actually played on one so can't say for sure
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My first ever random reboot :nopity: after not rebooting for over 200 hours :nopity: thanks pingchat :nopity:

ReputationRep:
    I hate Samsung's skin with a passion. Save the lockscreen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Touchwiz sucks, just flashed Darkys rom (for Galaxy s) its like a new phone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I don't mind samsung, not as bad as Motoblur but not as good as sense. I look forward to the reviews of the optimus 2X

On another note it seems I have revived my old iPod so I think I will wait till my contract is out for a new phone

ReputationRep:
    Is 83MB of RAM free good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Is 83MB of RAM free good?
    With Android, providing the amount of free RAM is > 0, it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    With Android, providing the amount of free RAM is > 0, it's fine.
    That just isn't true on the Hero. It's like the one device that requires regular use of an app killer.

That is if you don't use Auto Memory Manager :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    This LG Optimus 2X article is quite excellent.

Video demo included: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...+2X+video+demo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    I assume a lot of people are looking to flash a custom ROM
    i've never understood rooting a phone, well not initially, but even then i still don't see any reason to root a phone

1) I'm essentially paying 450 for this phone (or more if you accumulate the contract payments - much much more in fact)

so why would i walk into a shop and buy a product which i am not entirely 100% satisfied with :s: i always test out a phone and have a play around with many others when i buy a phone so if i don't like something, i'm not going to buy it.

2) people say that with rooting you can have custom roms

I don't see the need for a custom rom if i'm happy with what i've bought which takes me back to my first point

3) and that you can optimise your phone's hardware

this is a fair point but on the other hand, could you not root a cheaper phone and optimise that and still get a pretty good phone out of it? This is the only real reason why i'd see why someone would want to root a phone. However, as i said in point 1, why would i pay an extortionate amount of money for a phone which i'm not 100% satisfied with - surely that extra mhz that you squeeze out isn't worth another 300 quid

ReputationRep:
    i've never understood rooting a phone, well not initially, but even then i still don't see any reason to root a phone

1) I'm essentially paying 450 for this phone (or more if you accumulate the contract payments - much much more in fact)

so why would i walk into a shop and buy a product which i am not entirely 100% satisfied with :s: i always test out a phone and have a play around with many others when i buy a phone so if i don't like something, i'm not going to buy it.

I don't see the need for a custom rom if i'm happy with what i've bought which takes me back to my first point

this is a fair point but on the other hand, could you not root a cheaper phone and optimise that and still get a pretty good phone out of it? This is the only real reason why i'd see why someone would want to root a phone. However, as i said in point 1, why would i pay an extortionate amount of money for a phone which i'm not 100% satisfied with - surely that extra mhz that you squeeze out isn't worth another 300 quid
    I do things because I can.

ReputationRep:

The biggest reason I rooted my phone and installed a custom ROM was to remove the carrier's UI customisation. The optimisations are a bonus.

Also, while I appreciate that when one is spending a great deal of money on a phone, you expect it to work wonders and **** cucumbers, but I can't think of any handset that doesn't have flaws. :erm:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

This is what I think, whilst I want to eventually root my phone I don't think I could ever buy a phone just to root it. Like right now I'm more than happy with Sense so I haven't had much reason to root, but eventually when HTC stop supporting it I expect the community to support it.

Why do people want to customize it so much?
    ps greeneye - just a time passing song
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team

Hmm I understand what you are saying, but what attracted me to Android rather that iOS is the ease in which you clear everything and start from scratch, ultimate customisation etc.

Plus I didn't buy an expensive phone, I bought the San Fran (or rather got the San Fran on a free upgrade)

(Original post by blueray)
    ps greeneye - just a time passing song
    Fair enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    G8D summed it up pretty eloquently...

Because I can.

I'm not one of these people that's satisfied with defaults. I like total and absolute control over the devices I own. I like things to be precisely how I want it. And besides, why shouldn't you be able to have root access on your phone?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.