Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    Playbook from blackberry any good?
    It's not Android

Not saying I wouldn't accept if it was a gift like.

ReputationRep:
    Playbook from blackberry any good?
    From what I've heard on the engadget podcast, you need a blackberry for it to work properly but as it isn't out yet I don't want to comment much more so will leave it at that for now

ReputationRep:
    Huh whats this about?
    Google stole code from Oracle and claimed it as their own. Oracle sued. If Oracle win the case, and they probably will, Google will have to pay a **** load of money to Oracle and it may bring a production halt to Android phones temporarily.

And then Oracle might go after companies who use Android, like HTC, Samsung, Motorola etc.

(Original post by RedGuy)
    Google stole code from Oracle and claimed it as their own. Oracle sued. If Oracle win the case, and they probably will, Google will have to pay a **** load of money to Oracle and it may bring a production halt to Android phones temporarily.

And then Oracle might go after companies who use Android, like HTC, Samsung, Motorola etc.
    It wouldn't really stop Android phones at all. Android is open source and already in the hands of the manufacturers.

Also, would the fact that Google don't actually sell Android not greatly reduced the amount of damages available to Oracle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    It wouldn't really stop Android phones at all. Android is open source and already in the hands of the manufacturers.

Also, would the fact that Google don't actually sell Android not greatly reduced the amount of damages available to Oracle?
    Temporarily, it can halt production.

No. Every Google product is free only because they make money from advertising. Just imagine the amount they have made from advertising on Android handsets. If anything, this will increase Oracle's chance of winning their case.

Temporarily, it can halt production.

No. Every Google product is free only because they make money from advertising. Just imagine the amount they have made from advertising on Android handsets. If anything, this will increase Oracle's chance of winning their case.
    Is there published statistics on Google's ad revenue and, more importantly, does it distinguish between Android/other? It could simply be "mobile" income.
    Also, advertising isn't build into Android. Yes Google Ads and AdMob are WITHIN Market apps, but that is developers putting it into Android, not Google themselves.
    Also Google make ad revenue from mobile ads on the Google mobile site, but these service any device that isn't a desktop.

I'm not saying money from ads on Android is irrelevant, but I'd hope it wasn't as relevant as you seem to think it could be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Is there published statistics on Google's ad revenue and, more importantly, does it distinguish between Android/other? It could simply be "mobile" income. Also, advertising isn't build into Android. Yes Google Ads and AdMob are WITHIN Market apps, but that is developers putting it into Android, not Google themselves.
    90% of ALL Google's profit is from AdSense/AdWords. 200,00 Android phones are sold every single day and there are 200,000 apps - lets say at least 25% of them have some form of Ads. Do the maths.

Also Google make ad revenue from mobile ads on the Google mobile site, but these service any device that isn't a desktop.
    Think about how many people would have access to mobile sites if it wasn't for Android. Not everyone wants to spend £500+ for an iPhone. Google realised this, found a way to make profit from it and hello Android. I remember reading on Engadget just the other month, Android has the biggest share in smartphones in the US. They overtook Apple some time last year and have now overtaken BlackBerry.

I'm not saying money from ads on Android is irrelevant, but I'd hope it wasn't as relevant as you seem to think it could be.
    Google only sells one product, and that is AdWords. Android is simply another way to get AdWords and AdSense onto devices. Do you really think Google are developing Android for free and for the fun of it? Come on. I love Google but they are clearly in the wrong here.

90% of ALL Google's profit is from AdSense/AdWords. 200,00 Android phones are sold every single day and there are 200,000 apps - lets say at least 25% of them have some form of Ads. Do the maths.

Think about how many people would have access to mobile sites if it wasn't for Android. Not everyone wants to spend £500+ for an iPhone. Google realised this, found a way to make profit from it and hello Android. I remember reading on Engadget just the other month, Android has the biggest share in smartphones in the US. They overtook Apple some time last year and have now overtaken BlackBerry.

Google only sells one product, and that is AdWords. Android is simply another way to get AdWords and AdSense onto devices. Do you really think Google are developing Android for free and for the fun of it? Come on...
    I never said Google wasn't making a profit from Android. I'm fully aware of why Android is free. "Come on..."

All I am saying is that it may be difficult to draw a causal link between the two UNLESS statistics specifying income direct from Android are out there (which I have no idea if they are).

I don't really think that Google will take much of a dent even if Oracle win this. Android is a very small source of income for Google, relatively, so they wouldn't get much in damages compared to the income that goes to Google from other sectors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I don't really think that Google will take much of a dent even if Oracle win this. Android is a very small source of income for Google, relatively, so they wouldn't get much in damages compared to the income that goes to Google from other sectors.
    That's true, but my original point was it doesn't make a difference when it comes to Oracle's favour.

Anyway, I just found this article and it turns out Android isn't actually copying code from Oracle. Engadget is just up to crap journalism again.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/burnette/o...n-android/2162

But the same lawsuit still stands, Google copied technology from Oracle and are profiting from it, without giving Oracle a piece of the cake.

That's true, but my original point was it doesn't make a difference when it comes to Oracle's favour.

Anyway, I just found this article and it turns out Android isn't actually copying code from Oracle. Engadget is just up to crap journalism again.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/burnette/o...n-android/2162

But the same lawsuit still stands, Google copied technology from Oracle and are profiting from it, without giving Oracle a piece of the cake.
    So essentially the same lawsuit that was initiated by Oracle months ago and hasn't made any progress in either way?

Cool.

ReputationRep:
    It's nowhere near as black and white as that. There's plenty of reading around that fills this topic out much better than I can, though.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if ever that lawsuit will complete. They'll drag it out for years I'm sure.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you thought that just some copied code was enough to make this an open and shut case then you obviously haven't seen these kind of disputes.

Oh look they fixed the camera for Heros on Gingerbread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    shoop da woop I'm flashing that tomorrow

(Original post by wizard710)
    shoop da woop I'm flashing that tomorrow
    It seems a bit faded colour wise.

But it works and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Sweet.

(Original post by G8D)
    It seems a bit faded colour wise.

But it works and stuff.
    Is the nexus worth getting??

ReputationRep:
    Damn I'm fed up of my iPhone. Taking it in for repair today though, so can get rid of the thing. iTunes is a piece of junk aswell, trying to restore my phone to take it in, and it forces me to update it when I restore. And my internet is slow, so that's an hour waiting for a download. Looking forward to Android's openness Many options = heaven.

Going to get the Desire Z for the meantime, bored of waiting for the next best thing :P Although I'd love a massive screen. Hm.

ReputationRep:
    I got the Nexus S a week or so ago, so if any of you have any questions feel free to ask. XD I switched from Google's first phone (Google G1) to their latest lol.

Overall it's a really good phone. It's incredibly fast (webpages typically take about one second to fully load, youtube videos take about three seconds - but I never have to stop and wait for them to buffer). Gingerbread is also really good. Battery life is decent too. One day uses about 75% - that's with the background on the highest brightness, a live wallpaper on, and usage of the internet/instant messengers throughout the day.

Umm. That's all I can think of to say, lawl. Quote me if you have any questions.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.