Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    iOS isn't for you either.
    A Jailbroken iPhone does pretty much everything Android does. It's not hard to Jailbreak either. I just feel like a change. Android is coming on well but the apps and smoothness of iOS are still well ahead imo. It's not bad value either considering the re-sale value of iPhones.

Anyway, gonna wait for the reviews to hit. I'm hoping the signature jerkiness is gone in Android. Even high end phones have it. It's a joke. I'm also looking forward to video calling on Android and how that pans out. It's a must feature for me.

I'm on an Orange SF but used the Desire HD quite a bit and also an iPhone 4 which my brother has. I prefer the latter. It's just better integrated imo, feels very polished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    A Jailbroken iPhone does pretty much everything Android does. It's not hard to Jailbreak either. I just feel like a change. Android is coming on well but the apps and smoothness of iOS are still well ahead imo. It's not bad value either considering the re-sale value of iPhones.

Anyway, gonna wait for the reviews to hit. I'm hoping the signature jerkiness is gone in Android. Even high end phones have it. It's a joke. I'm also looking forward to video calling on Android and how that pans out. It's a must feature for me.

I'm on an Orange SF but used the Desire HD quite a bit and also an iPhone 4 which my brother has. I prefer the latter. It's just better integrated imo, feels very polished.
    You can't be bothered to root/ROM but you can be bother to jailbreak and install numerous tweaks from Cydia? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Jerkiness? Since when? I mean I had it on my Hero but the HD2 running Gingerbread is smooth as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    You can't be bothered to root/ROM but you can be bother to jailbreak and install numerous tweaks from Cydia? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Jerkiness? Since when? I mean I had it on my Hero but the HD2 running Gingerbread is smooth as.
    You'll see the jerkiness best on the browser. Try loading a page and scrolling. You'll often see a little jerky jump.

You don't need to install numerous tweaks at all.

Anyway, I'm open for now I'm gonna see what user reviews are like for the next batch of phones. I dont mind Android I've just been on it for 1.5 years. It's made huge progress in that time.

ReputationRep:
    You'll see the jerkiness best on the browser. Try loading a page and scrolling. You'll often see a little jerky jump.

You don't need to install numerous tweaks at all.

Anyway, I'm open for now I'm gonna see what user reviews are like for the next batch of phones. I dont mind Android I've just been on it for 1.5 years. It's made huge progress in that time.
    You mentioned jailbreaking.

There is no purpose to jailbreaking if you don't install tweaks.

Gosh.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Didn't engadet say the Atrix was stupidly fast...

And they're apple fanboys.

ReputationRep:
    Just loaded TSR and scrolled while it loaded.

Smooth as man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    You mentioned jailbreaking.

There is no purpose to jailbreaking if you don't install tweaks.

Gosh.
    Free apps? You suggested tweaking as though I'd have to sit there and customise everything like Android. That's not the case.

(Original post by G8D)
    Just loaded TSR and scrolled while it loaded.

Smooth as man.
    Oh it's definitely there. I've seen it. A friend with the DHD has seen it. Lots of other users see it. It's there. Its like an Android signature lol

ReputationRep:
    Free apps? You suggested tweaking as though I'd have to sit there and customise everything like Android. That's not the case.

Oh it's definitely there. I've seen it. A friend with the DHD has seen it. Lots of other users see it. It's there. Its like an Android signature lol
    Piracy is bad. Plus you can do it on Android without rooting ""

Also, no lag.

ReputationRep:
    The jerkiness is clearly there. It's a WELL known issue on Android. Just google it. The DHD has it, the galaxy S has it and they are high end phones (I dont know about the Nexus S). I hope you are not wearing rose tinted glasses.

Quick google search look at this article: http://smokingapples.com/asides/andr...-acceleration/
    It's old but the comments below are not. That's just a quick search. Check out some forums. It's not a MAJOR issue and most people won't notice it. But if you've experienced a smooth UI, it is noticeable and annoying.

Anyway, this is going off the point.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The jerkiness is clearly there. It's a WELL known issue on Android. Just google it. The DHD has it, the galaxy S has it and they are high end phones (I dont know about the Nexus S). I hope you are not wearing rose tinted glasses.

Quick google search look at this article: http://smokingapples.com/asides/andr...-acceleration/
    It's old but the comments below are not. That's just a quick search. Check out some forums. It's not a MAJOR issue and most people won't notice it much. But if you're experienced a very smooth UI, it is noticeable and annoying.

Anyway, this is going off the point.
    So your decision to ditch android is due to not being as smooth as butter whilst loading a page though when the page is loaded it is fine. Though are you sure this jerkiness isn't due to the page resizing, i.e text reflow gives the illusion of choppiness whereas it's just changing the text.

Is 'smoothness' the only reason you have? :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    So your decision to ditch android is due to not being as smooth as butter whilst loading a page though when the page is loaded it is fine. Though are you sure this jerkiness isn't due to the page resizing, i.e text reflow gives the illusion of choppiness whereas it's just changing the text.
    Nope. I didn't say that was my sole reason. The user experience is better on iOS in my opinion-- from a fairly early adopter of Android who's used it across several devices.
    Nope it's not the text resizing. As I said, it's not a MAJOR issue at all but the fact is after all these Android iterations (too many and too confusing for most) they still haven't matched the smoothness of their main competitor.

I'm not in to fanboy nonsense. I do not care for brand loyalty, just want the best product for me. That's why I'm happy to wait until July to see what else comes. If I switch I'll miss the notifications system most. That sucks on iOS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    I think HTC have kind of flopped this year with their phones. No dual core in any High end phones and no 1080p recording. The Incredible S is essentially a 4" Desire HD and the Desire S is a 3.7 inch Desire HD. In all fairness they're not really that much better than the Desire HD at all. It also seems HTC are starting to use Aluminium bodies for all their high end products.

More interesting is the ZTE skate which will be 4.3" and I imagine a very well priced phone.
    I'm writing a MWC blog post atm and said pretty much the same thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    I'm writing a MWC blog post atm and said pretty much the same thing
    I thought the same too. I saw what samsung did and all the dual core rumours and the optimus 2x and I was just like wtf, that is the exact same as my DHD I got 4 months ago. I was expecting to be pissed off that I got it. Ah well

ReputationRep:
    the iOS gets it's smoothness from hardware acceleration in the UI. This is in Honeycomb and will probably appear on our phones as Ice Cream.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, quick question.
    Is there anyway of putting the SNES emulator onto an android for free?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    Hi, quick question.
    Is there anyway of putting the SNES emulator onto an android for free?
    Yes Clicky

ReputationRep:
    Quad core makes me wet.

Today has been a good day; I finally got past the bit in Sonic Advance that I've been stuck on since Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if GPS which comes in hc desire works internationally????

I'm in Thailand but most probably going to the UK this year but I dont know whether GPS will work in the UK or not.

If it does work, will it be free (via satellite)??

Thanksss

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.