Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    It's a little hidden away. In the Select Action Category screen when creating a task, it's under Misc.

What would I need to enter in the IF bit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    What would I need to enter in the IF bit?
    Nothing if you're just doing a simple task.

http://lifehacker.com/#!5599116/how-...ted-superphone

Lifehacker's got a few good walkthroughs, or you can have a look on the tasker wiki: http://tasker.wikidot.com/ for some great step by step profiles. Once you get hte hang of making profiles and tasks, you can create some pretty powerful automations.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a mega advanced user of it as yet. Have you had a read of the Tasker wiki?
    Yeah, there's some quite useful stuff there. What would be really good is a list of all the variables you can set in the variable set task. I found one in one of the profiles that was %PHONERING that could be set to 1 or 0. Any other ones like that that aren't in task action categories already would be useful.

Edit: Found some, but it's not comprehensive, and doesn't include %PHONERING (so probably many more)

I also don't see the 'if' conditions attached to a lot of tasks doing anything, and have just taken to attaching a separate 'if' module to the task.

Other than that I'm slowly building more and more interesting profiles, so far I've got - location dependant Wifi
    - Wifi off at half battery and then mobile data if the battery's really low
    - apology text if I can't answer my phone or miss a call
    -sleepbot auto punch in and out when I turn my phone off and on

Anything interesting you've come up with?

What profiles will I use? :moon:

I just want the internet/GPS to go on when needed really

Oh and maybe open my music player when I connect my headphones :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I have to manually tell it what apps need GPS?

I expected it to be more automated than that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Oh, I have to manually tell it what apps need GPS?

I expected it to be more automated than that
    You have to manually tell it what apps need GPS, yes.

Once, with a multiple select dialog that you can just scroll through and then not have to fuss with turning GPS on when you use apps X Y and Z ever again. :p:

( Oh, and you can also set it to automatically turn GPS off whenever you leave any of the apps you initially listed) :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pony Jack)
    You have to manually tell it what apps need GPS, yes.

Once, with a multiple select dialog that you can just scroll through and then not have to fuss with turning GPS on when you use apps X Y and Z ever again. :p:

( Oh, and you can also set it to automatically turn GPS off whenever you leave any of the apps you initially listed) :
    Is that possible within the one task as an addition or do I need to reselect all of the apps again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    What profiles will I use? :moon:

I just want the internet/GPS to go on when needed really

Oh and maybe open my music player when I connect my headphones :beard:
    New - Ok - Application - [select all apps that use internet] - Done

New Task - WiFi On - OK - + - Net - WiFi - Set: On - Done - Done

Tap the WiFi On task you just created - Add Exit Task

New Task - WiFi Off - OK - + - Net - WiFi - Set: Off - Done - Done

Bob's your uncle. For the GPS do the same but with GPS-requiring apps and change the GPS settings in Misc - GPS in the action category

If you need help with the headphones/music player one, quoteth me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Is that possible within the one task as an addition or do I need to reselect all of the apps again?
    Yes it is, (well not within the same task, but the same profile, but you don't need to select the apps again) you set it as an 'exit task' (i.e. when the context condition returns false again), just tap the task you just created and tap 'add exit task' :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, there's some quite useful stuff there. What would be really good is a list of all the variables you can set in the variable set task. I found one in one of the profiles that was %PHONERING that could be set to 1 or 0. Any other ones like that that aren't in task action categories already would be useful.

Edit: Found some, but it's not comprehensive, and doesn't include %PHONERING (so probably many more)

I also don't see the 'if' conditions attached to a lot of tasks doing anything, and have just taken to attaching a separate 'if' module to the task.

Other than that I'm slowly building more and more interesting profiles, so far I've got - location dependant Wifi
    - Wifi off at half battery and then mobile data if the battery's really low
    - apology text if I can't answer my phone or miss a call
    -sleepbot auto punch in and out when I turn my phone off and on

Anything interesting you've come up with?
    I've created a special car mode that I can put the phone into, that fires up Car Home and auto responds to text messages, saying that I'm driving and will reply as soon as I can.

ReputationRep:
    I've created a special car mode that I can put the phone into, that fires up Car Home and auto responds to text messages, saying that I'm driving and will reply as soon as I can.
    If only I had a car... :p:

New - Ok - Application - [select all apps that use internet] - Done

New Task - WiFi On - OK - + - Net - WiFi - Set: On - Done - Done

Tap the WiFi On task you just created - Add Exit Task

New Task - WiFi Off - OK - + - Net - WiFi - Set: Off - Done - Done

Bob's your uncle. For the GPS do the same but with GPS-requiring apps and change the GPS settings in Misc - GPS in the action category

If you need help with the headphones/music player one, quoteth me.
    Wow, thanks! I'll try it out in the afternoon

ReputationRep:
    How do you multi select apps in the "Load App" menu? :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    You can't. But you can just have multiple Load App tasks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Sounds like you're trying to load app X Y and Z when you switch on GPS, when what you actually want is to switch on GPS whenever you load app X Y or Z.

See the crucial difference? If you can't, I'll tell you

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you're trying to load app X Y and Z when you switch on GPS, when what you actually want is to switch on GPS whenever you load app X Y or Z.

See the crucial difference? If you can't, I'll tell you
    I'm not setting up GPS.

I'm just asking a general question because it was tedious setting up app menu when I connect earphone/bluetooth headset.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I'm not setting up GPS.

I'm just asking a general question because it was tedious setting up app menu when I connect earphone/bluetooth headset.
    Well I'm afraid setting each app to load is the way to do it. You don't have to automate everything you know

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm afraid setting each app to load is the way to do it. You don't have to automate everything you know
    Heathen. :lolwut: This is the Android way and you know it!

ReputationRep:
    Heathen. :lolwut: This is the Android way and you know it!
    I do now. I'm envisaging a few months down the line when a majority of texts my phone sends will be automated.

Although I do still feel a bit weird talking to the thing to (try to) use voice commands in public.

ReputationRep:
    Found out why I'm getting battery drain...well I think I have anyway. The CPU runs at pretty much 100% most of the time while the phone is asleep. Not sure which app is causing it but so many apps are running and I don't even know why. Might have to format or something...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.