Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    I've had my first Android phone for about a month now (HTC Desire). Absolutely love it. Even better is the Android Market - I found a great app on it last night called 'Cell Division'. It's about mitosis and meiosis and I found it just in the nick of time - I'm about to get tested on it at college. Does anyone else have nay good educational apps for Android phones that they recommend?

Jess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eskamulia)
    Hey guys, just came here for a little advice I currently have the HTC Hero, on which my contract *finally* runs out in May. But now I'm totally lost on which phone to go for.... it would be nice to have a change, but at the same time, this phone has been amazing *minus a few glitches, slowness and the utterly ****e network*. Definitely don't want a BB, but I don't know much about anything else out there, other than the Desire and iPhone
    Help would be really appreciated !
    There's a whole hell of a lot that can be done to make tyhe Hero faster!

Edit: Scrap that. There's more beef between elelinux and Feeyo... looks like Cronos is dead again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Even then, it's still a bit **** :p:

ReputationRep:
    What is the best android phone for £100?

Please quote me

ReputationRep:
    such as? I have a hero.. well t-mobile g2 touch but basically the same thing but it can be a little slow at times now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astra_K)
    What is the best android phone for £100?

Please quote me
    Probably Orange San Fran or the LG Optimus One
    (Original post by st_23)
    such as? I have a hero.. well t-mobile g2 touch but basically the same thing but it can be a little slow at times now
    Yes. You can install a better/faster ROM and overclock it. But it can only do so much, it's still a slow phone by today's standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)

Yes. You can install a better/faster ROM and overclock it. But it can only do so much, it's still a slow phone by today's standards.
    True dat. Still, with Feeyo stopping dev work, it seems a bit late to join this bandwagon.

ReputationRep:
    True dat. Still, with Feeyo stopping dev work, it seems a bit late to join this bandwagon.
    Feeyo is stopping :O

I'm a big fan of ele personally but that will make a pretty big dent in the ROM development.

Saying this I must add: my Hero is on eBay with 22 watchers and a day to go. If anyone wants a Hero then buy mine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)

Repped. The thing with the SF is its on Orange, and tbh i want to go on o2 most likely, or Vodaphone...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)

I'm a big fan of ele personally but that will make a pretty big dent in the ROM development.

Saying this I must add: my Hero is on eBay with 22 watchers and a day to go. If anyone wants a Hero then buy mine
    What

ReputationRep:
    Repped. The thing with the SF is its on Orange, and tbh i want to go on o2 most likely, or Vodaphone...
    http://android.modaco.com/content/zt...ode-generator/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    What
    ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)

Linky (want to see what you get for it)?

It seems that ele has been ripping off Feeyo's work, and as such, he's not doing any more either.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    ??
    Feeyo stopping hero development, I can't find anything on the cronos project forums

ReputationRep:
    What does that do? Also, when unlocking will it still load with the orange logo etc? Also what are ROMS, and what is Japan Jellyfish and all these other weird names. Im so new to Android
    Is it possible to brick an android phone?

ReputationRep:
    Linky (want to see what you get for it)?

It seems that ele has been ripping off Feeyo's work, and as such, he's not doing any more either.... :rolleyes:
    Ripping off? They worked together to get the CM7 ROM as good as it is. He only started releasing his own builds after Cronos has GPL issues. (this is where my involvement in Hero dev ended)

Hoping for upwards of £75.
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Feeyo stopping hero development, I can't find anything on the cronos project forums
    I don't know if he is. I can't get on the forums because they now require logins. I'm just going by what Mikey said.

ReputationRep:
    What does that do? Also, when unlocking will it still load with the orange logo etc? Also what are ROMS, and what is Japan Jellyfish and all these other weird names. Im so new to Android
    Is it possible to brick an android phone?
    That is an app your install on your phone, enter your IMEI number and it gives you an unlock code. Unlocking your phone simply allows you to use other SIMs in it from different operators.

A ROM is the software you load on the phone (customised version of Android), Japanese Jellyfish is just one of many ROMs available for the OSF. To get rid of the Orange branded stuff you need to either remove them from the ROM installed on your phone by default or install a new ROM entirely (what I would recommend).

You should quote Mad Vlad or greeneyedgirl if you require anymore information as they both have the OSF rooted and with a custom ROM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    That is an app your install on your phone, enter your IMEI number and it gives you an unlock code. Unlocking your phone simply allows you to use other SIMs in it from different operators.

A ROM is the software you load on the phone (customised version of Android), Japanese Jellyfish is just one of many ROMs available for the OSF. To get rid of the Orange branded stuff you need to either remove them from the ROM installed on your phone by default or install a new ROM entirely (what I would recommend).

You should quote Mad Vlad or greeneyedgirl if you require anymore information as they both have the OSF rooted and with a custom ROM
    Thanks, are there any risks with changing ROMs though?Does it void the warrenty?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, are there any risks with changing ROMs though?Does it void the warrenty?
    It does. But you can always go back to unrooted/unROM'd if you need to return you phone.

But if what goes wrong on your phone is something so monumentally serious as a hardware failure then it's unlikely they'd even notice that you were rooted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    It does. But you can always go back to unrooted/unROM'd if you need to return you phone.

But if what goes wrong on your phone is something so monumentally serious as a hardware failure then it's unlikely they'd even notice that you were rooted.
    I think Argos would be the place to get one then, as they generally never even look at an item if you bring it back because it is faulty.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.