Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I don't know if he is. I can't get on the forums because they now require logins. I'm just going by what Mikey said.
    http://www.cronosproject.org/forum/v...=877&start=240

You don't need a login?

You'd get about £75 fro envirophone too.

ReputationRep:
    Weird.
    The link I used from Google must have been the login one by accident :p:

So is he actually ceasing development?

Oh I see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Weird.
    The link I used from Google must have been the login one by accident :p:

So is he actually ceasing development?
    Yeah, I've seen that from Google too....

I've seen his say he was leaving before, only to come back, so we'll see. It's a shame as Cronos GB is looking pretty good these days. ONly a couple of issues to fix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Yeah, I've seen that from Google too....

I've seen his say he was leaving before, only to come back, so we'll see. It's a shame as Cronos GB is looking pretty good these days. ONly a couple of issues to fix.
    Cronos quits, ele quits. Interesting :p:

Oh well. Everything dies.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, 6 months and I have a new phone (hopefully)

ReputationRep:
    Just noticed one thing majorly sucks on all tablets: there is no multiple user support. Everybody logs in on the same user. That's terrible, you can't leave it on the coffer table for anybody else to use (without signing out of all your apps; no customisation either).

Google need to sort this out. Jobs wants us to buy one tablet each I'm sure. Google get ahead of the game please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Just noticed one thing majorly sucks on all tablets: there is no multiple user support. Everybody logs in on the same user. That's terrible, you can't leave it on the coffer table for anybody else to use (without signing out of all your apps; no customisation either).

Google need to sort this out. Jobs wants us to buy one tablet each I'm sure. Google get ahead of the game please.
    http://berglondon.com/blog/2010/12/1...-for-the-ipad/

ReputationRep:
    That's actually a really good concept.

Would be less useful if the iPad could multitask properly though.

ReputationRep:
    That's a decent concept, though you don't need names on the corners it could just be a list or avatars or even cover flow through users. You swipe then type your password. Easy.

It will require changes in the OS to store and retrieve personal settings and preferences. I don't think Apple, Google, HP or Blackberry have mentioned multi-user support which is kinda odd-- maybe they've thought of it but not addressed the idea because tablet storage is relatively small. A tablet is not like a smartphone, more like a computer, so they have to sort this out imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    That's a decent concept, though you don't need names on the corners it could just be a list or avatars or even cover flow through users. You swipe then type your password. Easy.

It will require changes in the OS to store and retrieve personal settings and preferences. I don't think Apple, Google, HP or Blackberry have mentioned multi-user support which is kinda odd-- maybe they've thought of it but not addressed the idea because tablet storage is relatively small. A tablet is not like a smartphone, more like a computer, so they have to sort this out imo.
    Flash storage is the real issue.
    32GB is great for one user, split it across 4 and it become next to nothing.

It was also likely require apps to be able to be global or local to one user, info for apps to be stored multiple times, a soft-lock so as to provide seamless usage (while allowing the screen to go offline) where only one user is using it and probably plenty of other things to be considered as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Flash storage is the real issue.
    32GB is great for one user, split it across 4 and it become next to nothing.

It was also likely require apps to be able to be global or local to one user, info for apps to be stored multiple times, a soft-lock so as to provide seamless usage (while allowing the screen to go offline) where only one user is using it and probably plenty of other things to be considered as well.
    You mean it has to behave like a computer rather than a personal phone?
    The cloud will have a big part to play I'm sure, re-storage issues.

We're basically still at the first generation step of tablets. They will overcome these shortcomings I hope. It's a major flaw especially for bigger tablets that are more likely to be shared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astra_K)
    What is the best android phone for £100?

Please quote me
    Orange San Francisco, IMO.

What does that do? Also, when unlocking will it still load with the orange logo etc? Also what are ROMS, and what is Japan Jellyfish and all these other weird names. Im so new to Android
    Is it possible to brick an android phone?
    The unlock code generator G8D linked you to generates a code that will remove the network restriction for the handset, allowing it to operate on any compatible network, of which all the UK Mobile Network Operators are compatible.

The bootloader image you see is built into the ROM.

Japanese Jellyfish is an example of a custom ROM for the OSF. Mine is currently running on Jellyfish and it's very stable, efficient and fast. I'm going to upgrade to CyanogenMod 7 when it's got its bugs ironed out.

You can brick the phone if the ROM if you do it wrong, but there's a piece of software called Clockwork Recovery, which basically automates the process of installing a custom ROM, and there's hundreds of guides out there to explain how to do it.

Thanks, are there any risks with changing ROMs though?Does it void the warrenty?
    Yes, it does; but as G8D said, you can just flash the stock ROM back on if you develop a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Orange San Francisco, IMO.

The unlock code generator G8D linked you to generates a code that will remove the network restriction for the handset, allowing it to operate on any compatible network, of which all the UK Mobile Network Operators are compatible.

The bootloader image you see is built into the ROM.

Japanese Jellyfish is an example of a custom ROM for the OSF. Mine is currently running on Jellyfish and it's very stable, efficient and fast. I'm going to upgrade to CyanogenMod 7 when it's got its bugs ironed out.

You can brick the phone if the ROM if you do it wrong, but there's a piece of software called Clockwork Recovery, which basically automates the process of installing a custom ROM, and there's hundreds of guides out there to explain how to do it.

Yes, it does; but as G8D said, you can just flash the stock ROM back on if you develop a problem.
    Thanks for that info, very useful. So that Jellyfish one is for the SF only, or pretty much all android phones? Who makes these ROMS anyway?
    Also, how would you revert back to the standard ROM?
    Lastly, what about the Sony Xperia 8, would you say that is better? Its between those two tbh. My gifriend just got a Samsung Galaxy i5500, how is that worse than the SF?
    Thanks and repped

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that info, very useful. So that Jellyfish one is for the SF only, or pretty much all android phones? Who makes these ROMS anyway?
    Also, how would you revert back to the standard ROM?
    Lastly, what about the Sony Xperia 8, would you say that is better? Its between those two tbh. My gifriend just got a Samsung Galaxy i5500, how is that worse than the SF?
    Thanks and repped
    JJ is on the SF only, AFAIK. Mods like CyanogenMod are being developed across many platforms, with device specific hardware drivers/tweaks. For instance, one of the curios with the OSF is that the screen is mounted upside down, so it requires a software hack to invert the screen's output so it displays correctly.

Bored, committed Android fans-***-programming geniuses generally make these mods.

All you do is flash the stock ROM (which you can pick up on sites like XDA and MoDaCo) using clockwork in the same way as you flashed the custom ROM.

Not really got much experience with either of those handsets, but (without wanting to sound like a fanboi) it's pretty much universally acknowledged that the ZTE Blade (OSF) is one of the most fully featured handsets for its price; one of the main reasons that it's become such a boon for the modding community.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Stupid phone won't sleep :mob:. @30% 7 hours unplugged :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else have this problem with the Desire? When I'm writing a text, it sometimes jumps to the top of the thread of texts to that contact, so I have to scroll right down to the bottom to continue writing. (This takes ages if it's someone I text every day...)

Any ideas how to stop it?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Try using different Message app.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Anyone else have this problem with the Desire? When I'm writing a text, it sometimes jumps to the top of the thread of texts to that contact, so I have to scroll right down to the bottom to continue writing. (This takes ages if it's someone I text every day...)

Any ideas how to stop it?
    In my experience, Android does some random weird **** now and then.
    If rebooting doesn't solve it you could possibly try to clear all data and the cache under Manage Applications for your message app. You'll lose all your messages though. Do a backup say on Titanium before you do that just in case it doesnt fix it and you want to retrieve your messages (could try backing up your SMSs separately as well if you want).

Personally, I prefer the stock message app over Chomp and Handscent. iPhone bubbles are especially annoying.

ReputationRep:
    HANDCENT IS BEST.

Bubbles are optional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    HANDCENT IS BEST.

Bubbles are optional.
    That's the one. Handscent. yeah it's good but I still prefer the stock Android combined with SMS Pop up. That sorts out the shortcomings in the notifications (like privacy, changing vibration etc)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.