Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    :rolleyes:
    Was the neg really necessary? As I said, I don't like the phone. I was considering it long before any other phone, but decided against it for numerous reasons. It's not the phone for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Finally got round to sorting myself out a contract, and now own a Desire HD which is such a large step up from my old phone.

Several questions, which I'm sure will have been answered - but it's a long thread XD.

1) Where would be the best place to buy a replacement battery and would I be able to buy one that is better?

2) Recommended good skins/screen protectors?

3) Am I going to want to 'root' it (not sure what this is)? If so is it difficult because I'm not brilliant with technology.

4) Any other advice? I've already turned Wifi off because I won't be using it very often and have the kill everything app which I press often, any other good battery saving solutions?

Thanks =]
    1) Here though you won't find a much bigger battery as it'd need a new backplate

2) No idea, sorry.

3) If you don't know what it does and aren't sure you'd want to try, don't worry about it too much. If you find yourself wanting to root it for a reason (wireless tether, screenshots, overclocking, custom ROMS, backup etc), then ask then. for now I'd just get familiar with what you can do with your phone.

4) Don't use task killer apps. turning off Wifi and mobile data are good shouts. You could also change the frequency of updates of any widgets you use (ie FriendStream). The screen on the DHD does eat battery power though.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Finally got round to sorting myself out a contract, and now own a Desire HD which is such a large step up from my old phone.

Several questions, which I'm sure will have been answered - but it's a long thread XD.

1) Where would be the best place to buy a replacement battery and would I be able to buy one that is better? So far there haven't been any batteries that have higher capacity than the stock one, the reason is due to the unibody design of DHD it can never fit anything bigger in terms of size. All the replacement batteries you see that are higher spec'd will actually give you any more juice than the stock one. Generally the capacity they say isn't exactly what you get from these thrid party companies so if they say 1600Mah it's most likely something like 1200Mah. After searching this issue for months the HTC battery is still the best. I advise you to get used to charging your phone, the screen saps a tone of battery. Though I've heard Custom Roms improve the battery life dramatically.

2) Recommended good skins/screen protectors? Just Amazon it and find the one with most reviews, screen protector reduce the the sensitivity by bit but you get used to it. I currently have 4 cases. Gel case is most protective but makes the phone even bulkier, the casemate Barely there makes the phone look really classy but doesn't protect it much.

3) Am I going to want to 'root' it (not sure what this is)? If so is it difficult because I'm not brilliant with technology. I still haven't rooted my phone but I plan to once I have more time, the more you customise your phone the better it gets.

4) Any other advice? I've already turned Wifi off because I won't be using it very often and have the kill everything app which I press often, any other good battery saving solutions? Head over to here and there's tones of threads to help battery life. You don't need to kill apps, unless they've gone rouge, as android will just open them up again and memory has never been an issue for me, I've never managed to have less than 110mb free. Mobile data is a massive killer, more than wifi. Turn down brightness to half

Thanks =]
    I'll answer your questions.

ReputationRep:
    I hear that android is good - my mum and sister both have android phones. I'm using the blackberry 6 os - quite like it. Is android really that good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MostCompetitive)
    I hear that android is good - my mum and sister both have android phones. I'm using the blackberry 6 os - quite like it. Is android really that good?
    Give it a try. Everyone in this thread loves it, so you can guess what our answer will be :P

ReputationRep:
    I've used BB OS6. It's far superior to previous iterations of the BB OS, but I find it pales in comparison with Android. I feel that the BB OS needs a total rework for touch screen devices.

ReputationRep:
    It's like swell dude. Peace and love all round.

Android just needs to be a little smoother imo and it'll be the best thing since sliced bread.

It wouldn't hurt if they made it a tiny bit more user friendly too. For us young folks that have been bought up around tech it's fine but my sis in law was confused for days using it. I wouldn't fancy giving it to my grandma either. This would steer it away from the geeky image toward mainstream.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    It's like swell dude. Peace and love all round.

Android just needs to be a little smoother imo and it'll be the best thing since sliced bread.

It wouldn't hurt if they made it a tiny bit more user friendly too. For us young folks that have been bought up around tech it's fine but my sis in law was confused for days using it. I wouldn't fancy giving it to my grandma either. This would steer it away from the geeky image toward mainstream.
    Who wants to be mainstream tho? I love showing off my sanfran and having ooos and ahhhhs from all my friends who are apple fangirls!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Who wants to be mainstream tho? I love showing off my sanfran and having ooos and ahhhhs from all my friends who are apple fangirls!
    I don't mind if it's mainstream, why not? It means more money, bigger market, more accessories, more apps = more choice for everyone. Android will forever be customisable to make it personal so it's not a problem, and the dev community will always be around

I know what you mean with the SF. I do it all the time with my brother who is an iSheep; he is jealous I paid £80 for mine whilst he paid £500 and I get to 90% of the functionality and endless customisation. Heck I was tethering the other day and he can't even do that lol I The Orange SF is definitely my best purchase of the last 5 years. I love bargains!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I don't mind if it's mainstream, why not? It means more money, bigger market, more accessories, more apps = more choice for everyone. Android will forever be customisable to make it personal so it's not a problem, and the dev community will always be around

I know what you mean with the SF. I do it all the time with my brother who is an iSheep; he is jealous I paid £80 for mine whilst he paid £500 and I get to 90% of the functionality and endless customisation. Heck I was tethering the other day and he can't even do that lol I The Orange SF is definitely my best purchase of the last 5 years. I love bargains!
    I don't mind if it becomes mainstream (more apps would be nice) but I quite like the exclusivity of it at the min, it's nice for it to only be for people who actually bother researching rather than just going to their nearest apple store (I alway feel slightly hypocritical when dissing apple, my macbook is my baby!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    I don't mind if it becomes mainstream (more apps would be nice) but I quite like the exclusivity of it at the min, it's nice for it to only be for people who actually bother researching rather than just going to their nearest apple store (I alway feel slightly hypocritical when dissing apple, my macbook is my baby!)
    blasphemy :headfire:
    (I always wanted to use that smiley lol)
    Dont worry it's our little secret

ReputationRep:
    Whether it becomes more mainstream or not is irrelevant.
    We loved it before it was cool :smug:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    blasphemy :headfire:
    (I always wanted to use that smiley lol)
    Dont worry it's our little secret
    Ha ha my macbook, my sanfran and my ski boots are my three babies, if my flat ever burnt down I would take them ALL with me (plus all relevant chargers!

(Original post by G8D)
    Whether it becomes more mainstream or not is irrelevant.
    We loved it before it was cool :smug:
    Ahhh the smug emoticon suits you so well

ReputationRep:
    Is that supposed to be smug? It looks drunk, possibly high on methamphetamines, to me lol
    On second thoughts, it could pass as an old pervy grandad...

ReputationRep:
    Got my san fran. Rooted (so easy) and installed a nice, fast ROM
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Astra_K)
    Got my san fran. Rooted (so easy) and installed a nice, fast ROM
    :five:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Boooo to the San Francisco :mob:

ReputationRep:
    4.3" screens ftw.

ReputationRep:
    I went into an apple store yesterday. Was really tempted by the new ipads

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.