Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hahaff)
    motorola already have an android phone
    the defy
    htc is releasing the htc desire s that has android 2.3
    and also the galaxy 2 which looks like an iphone4
    There are far too many Android phones for us to try keep up with.

ReputationRep:
    The SGS2 is apparenrly being delayed in order to upgrade to 1.2ghz dual core in place of the 1ghz. The battery on this thing is gonna suck. Why not address that instead of a pointless upgrade?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    The SGS2 is apparenrly being delayed in order to upgrade to 1.2ghz dual core in place of the 1ghz. The battery on this thing is gonna suck. Why not address that instead of a pointless upgrade?
    Hear, hear.

ReputationRep:
    AFter nearly a year, my phone (Desire) is geting considerably slower, and has been crashing in the last month when it never used to crash at all.

It's quite frustrating tbh, force quitting most apps I use most, especially social mediums.

Any tips to increase the efficiency of the OS? Or having had it for this long, was this to be expected?

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to sell my iPhone 4 and buy my first Android handset in place of it, but the pace at which manufacturers are bringing out dual-core phones in Europe is getting a bit annoying. America's had the Atrix for a bit now, and we won't get it for months. The Galaxy S II, again, doesn't look like it'll arrive for a while, and HTC's dual-core offerings look to be even further off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizzzle)
    AFter nearly a year, my phone (Desire) is geting considerably slower, and has been crashing in the last month when it never used to crash at all.

It's quite frustrating tbh, force quitting most apps I use most, especially social mediums.

Any tips to increase the efficiency of the OS? Or having had it for this long, was this to be expected?
    Do a full wipe of your phone, and re-install only the apps that you need

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dijipo)
    Do a full wipe of your phone, and re-install only the apps that you need
    Thanks, will do!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not so sure about that. 1600+mah? Dual core phones are more efficient than single cored phones. Aside from the larger screen, more ram, and higher specs, the dual core should give it a 1 up in terms of battery life.

Of course when you start stressing those cores the battery will drop, but then again, there are hardly any programs or apps out that can do this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Young Spade)
    I'm not so sure about that. 1600+mah? Dual core phones are more efficient than single cored phones. Aside from the larger screen, more ram, and higher specs, the dual core should give it a 1 up in terms of battery life.

Of course when you start stressing those cores the battery will drop, but then again, there are hardly any programs or apps out that can do this.
    That's the theory but with such a large screen I don't expect the battery to be anything beyond average. The Atrix has a smaller screen and a similar battery (didnt you have one?), but seems to have pretty mixed reviews on the battery front. The new screen is supposed to be more efficient too so you may have a point. A phone like this ideally needs to be built for heavy usage.

The more powerful processor will kill the battery marginally quicker I expect as well. The extra cost will be passed on?
    Ah well, pointless upgrade. They're playing the numbers game. Let's see if the package comes together.

ReputationRep:
    That's the theory but with such a large screen I don't expect the battery to be anything beyond average. The Atrix has a smaller screen and a similar battery (didnt you have one?), but seems to have pretty mixed reviews on the battery front. The new screen is supposed to be more efficient too so you may have a point. A phone like this ideally needs to be built for heavy usage.

The more powerful processor will kill the battery marginally quicker I expect as well. The extra cost will be passed on?
    Ah well, pointless upgrade. They're playing the numbers game. Let's see if the package comes together.
    I did have an Atrix, you're right; like all phones, battery life varied depending on what you did witht he phone and how long you had the screen on. If I use my Nexus one as I did with my Atrix, I can easily last a day, more if I push it. Doing things like disabling the data connection all together while in class, disabling background data until I'm sitting down ready to read the information, and proper task management, I can easily pull a whole day here at school and go back to my room with over 20% left.

But as you stated, they are playing the numbers game, and Moto did that as well with the Atrix, which is why I took that phone back. On paper the phone was great and it was amazingly fast, but when I actually used it for my main phone, I didn't like the screen and the design just wasn't' there. A hard to reach power button and the fact that I had to pick it up to turn it on? No thanks.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It's all a numbers game, if HTC are releasing 1.2ghz they can't come out with 1ghz, it makes them seem behind the curb. In terms of battery I think HTC are making the choice of having a better design. The aluminmum makes the phone heavier so does the battery, can't have bigger battery and aluminium to, the phone would just way to much. I'm weary of the HTC Pyramid, a dual core and a 4.3 inch screen sound like its going to have worse battery time than my Desire HD, and the battery on this is generally crappy.
    (Original post by Addzter)
    I'm looking to sell my iPhone 4 and buy my first Android handset in place of it, but the pace at which manufacturers are bringing out dual-core phones in Europe is getting a bit annoying. America's had the Atrix for a bit now, and we won't get it for months. The Galaxy S II, again, doesn't look like it'll arrive for a while, and HTC's dual-core offerings look to be even further off.
    Actually HTC seem to be right in the middle of it, the HTC pyramid is apparently being launched on 13th April. 1.2ghz Dual core + 4.3ghz screen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Actually HTC seem to be right in the middle of it, the HTC pyramid is apparently being launched on 13th April. 1.2ghz Dual core + 4.3ghz screen.
    Yeah, launched, but according to Engadget it's not going to be on sale for a few months now. Although the Pyramid does look amazing, and I'll probably get it if it doesn't have the DHD's poor battery issues.

ReputationRep:
    It's all a numbers game, if HTC are releasing 1.2ghz they can't come out with 1ghz, it makes them seem behind the curb. In terms of battery I think HTC are making the choice of having a better design. The aluminmum makes the phone heavier so does the battery, can't have bigger battery and aluminium to, the phone would just way to much. I'm weary of the HTC Pyramid, a dual core and a 4.3 inch screen sound like its going to have worse battery time than my Desire HD, and the battery on this is generally crappy.

Sounds good lol

The Pyramid will probably arrive in summer (3D though, pffft). I wish all these manufacturers would follow Apple in one aspect: not announcing/unveiling products that aren't ready for release. Apple release the hounds, unveils the product and has it in shops within weeks. You have to admire that. They ride the hype train very well.

ReputationRep:
    Why was I unsubscribed from this thread? :stomp:

Had to relist my Hero on eBay, ****ing time waster.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by G8D)
    Why was I unsubscribed from this thread? :stomp:

Had to relist my Hero on eBay, ****ing time waster.
    Because you bought an iPhone remember :teehee:

Hero not go for much last time?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team

Did he actually buy an iPhone?!?! I can no longer associate with him if he did...

ReputationRep:

It went up to £87 but the guy had zero feedback and was like sending us messages saying "give me paypal details and I pay" (really badly broken English) and we're like "do it through eBay you nob".

Reported him and eBay confirmed it and suspended him.

Now it's back up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Did he actually buy an iPhone?!?! I can no longer associate with him if he did...
    n00b
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by G8D)
    n00b
    You never can tell with you!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    False alarm. So we disown our own as soon as they buy iPhones :afraid:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.