The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alex_hk90
Thanks, I've downloaded it. Will try it for a bit but I'm concerned about battery usage as it has to use GPS as well as mobile network.

EDIT: The results it shows in the app seem to only distinguish between 2G and 3G (i.e. not GPRS, EDGE, 3G, HSDPA) which wouldn't be very useful (unless it's collecting the other data without displaying it locally).

You don't have to use GPS, but the results will be more accurate if you do. If you choose not to use GPS, the app will use location data based on the position of cell masts.

The data held locally, is just to give you a rough idea of how often you're connected to 3G/2G networks. The data will be more useful after it's been mapped at the BBC's end.
Original post by TheCrackInTime
You don't have to use GPS, but the results will be more accurate if you do. If you choose not to use GPS, the app will use location data based on the position of cell masts.

The data held locally, is just to give you a rough idea of how often you're connected to 3G/2G networks. The data will be more useful after it's been mapped at the BBC's end.

That makes sense. Thanks for the info. :smile:
You know Android holds the No. 1 position and sits on top of the smartphone market, the battle for the second position between Apple and Blackberry got tougher and in the end it was Apple who made it, leaving behind RIM’s BlackBerry in the third position.
Reply 5523
Original post by TheCrackInTime
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the BBC have launched an app to track 3G mobile coverage across the UK. All you have to do to take part, is download the UK 3G Survey app from the Android Market. There is more information here on the BBC News website.

Tried it for a while.

Ended up being a big battery leech for me.

Original post by tJin
Tried it for a while.

Ended up being a big battery leech for me.

They've just updated it so it uses less battery
Original post by jacobadam
You know Android holds the No. 1 position and sits on top of the smartphone market, the battle for the second position between Apple and Blackberry got tougher and in the end it was Apple who made it, leaving behind RIM’s BlackBerry in the third position.

What? http://www.streetinsider.com/Corporate+News/Android+%28GOOG%29+Makes+Mobile+OS+Gain+in+June,+Nokias+%28NOK%29+Symbian+Still+Leads/6621330.html

Last i checked Apple had something like 18% of the market, putting it behind Nokia and Android
Gingerbread has made its way onto my phone, but with no immediately obvious differences...
Original post by jamesmor1
I think it looks pretty sucky IMO, I don't like the mascot, think I'll stick to Symbian

I will stick inside you.:wink:
Reply 5528
Can anyone help with this - on my Sensation I've installed an app and can send text messages in Chinese and they display fine, but when I receive texts in Chinese they just appear as question marks. How come sending is fine but I can't receive them normally?
Original post by cz100
Can anyone help with this - on my Sensation I've installed an app and can send text messages in Chinese and they display fine, but when I receive texts in Chinese they just appear as question marks. How come sending is fine but I can't receive them normally?

I'm guessing it's an issue with the app? Couldn't you just change the language to Chinese or install the Chinese version of the ROM to get native support?
Reply 5530
I'm guessing it's an issue with the app? Couldn't you just change the language to Chinese or install the Chinese version of the ROM to get native support?

I'm using Sogo input and have also installed Google pinyin. I can input text and send it fine, just the received texts aren't displaying right. What's ROM?
Original post by cz100
I'm using Sogo input and have also installed Google pinyin. I can input text and send it fine, just the received texts aren't displaying right. What's ROM?

ROM is the like OS of your phone. But if you don't know about it I wouldn't mess about with it. What app are you using to receive the texts?
Reply 5532
ROM is the like OS of your phone. But if you don't know about it I wouldn't mess about with it. What app are you using to receive the texts?

Just the normal messages. Don't know if the problem is with the Sensation or the Galaxy S2 I'm receiving the messages from.
Original post by cz100
Just the normal messages. Don't know if the problem is with the Sensation or the Galaxy S2 I'm receiving the messages from.

Are you also using the normal messages to send texts with Chinese characters?
Reply 5534
Are you also using the normal messages to send texts with Chinese characters?

Yep. The phone displays Chinese fine in all the apps and internet, the texts I'm receiving are the only occasion where it just shows question marks
Reply 5535
Got it sorted. It was the Galaxy's fault it should have had text input setting set as automatic
Original post by cz100
Got it sorted. It was the Galaxy's fault it should have had text input setting set as automatic

Ah cool. :smile:
Anyone noticed just how popular HTC have become. I'm having people say 'I want a HTC' and I tell them the Galaxy S II is better but they reply with 'Yeah but I still want the HTC one'. As an owner of the Desire HD I'm wondering what spell they have placed on everyone :beard:
Original post by yoyo462001
Anyone noticed just how popular HTC have become. I'm having people say 'I want a HTC' and I tell them the Galaxy S II is better but they reply with 'Yeah but I still want the HTC one'. As an owner of the Desire HD I'm wondering what spell they have placed on everyone :beard:

I thought it was relatively close between the Galaxy S II and the Sensation (with the Galaxy S II edging it)? I've got a Desire (running a Desire HD ported ROM) and really like Sense (2.1 / 3.0). :dontknow:

I thought it was relatively close between the Galaxy S II and the Sensation (with the Galaxy S II edging it)? I've got a Desire (running a Desire HD ported ROM) and really like Sense (2.1 / 3.0). :dontknow:

To be honest they are close, but for me after seeing the GS II screen I would get it if I had a choice.
Original post by G8D
HTC are like the Apple of the Android world.

Software is swish and so is the design. Power is an afterthought.
I personally love HTC and I feel a bit cool to know I had the first Android Sense phone :shades:

However I don't really like the term "an HTC", seeing as there are plenty of different ones.

Yeah the 'an HTC' annoys me. :angry:

Latest

Trending

Trending