Android OS watch

Announcements
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    beautiful!

I'm currently my bro's advisor when it comes to phones (his contract runs out in june) and I think this might sway him in favour of android!

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the look of it... :erm: That light grey stripe seems a bit unattractive and cheap looking.

Sense 3.0 is sexy as **** :sogood:

Hope someone can slim it down so it will fit on the HD2 without much lag :beard:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The HTC Sensation looks near-perfect. :yep: The only thing I would've liked to see is a cassette-style slot for the MicroSD to change it without taking the back-cover off, and maybe similar for the SIM card. And while we're at it, some way to change the battery without switching the phone off (backup battery?).

ReputationRep:
    I'm not impressed with the design of the HTC Sensation. It's the bog standard Desire design modified a little. It's boring and samey to me-- look at the Arc or the Apple influenced SGS2. These show you can make nice looking slabs. The specs list is great though so let's see what the user experience will be like.

I don't think any android phone will be perfect until they get hardware acceleration sorted out. Every device I've tried has lag and choppiness about it and they appear to 'soup' up the specs to no end without solving this issue. It's the biggest disappointment of Android. I don't think most people notice or are bothered by it, but if you've used phones by that other company, it's noticeable and can be infuriating.

So yeah, specs are specs but no amount of specs will make Android smooth and fluid. Not for now at least. Are we waiting for ice cream?

Oh and another HTC characteristic: crappy battery. The Sensation has a smaller battery than the Evo 3D at 1550mAh. Bad sign. They should've at least matched the SGS2 and Atrix to power that huge screen.

I sound like a proper party pooper lol
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    I'm not impressed with the design of the HTC Sensation. It's the bog standard Desire design modified a little. It's boring and samey to me-- look at the Arc or the Apple influenced SGS2. These show you can make nice looking slabs.
    I haven't seen those yet but I don't see "Apple influenced" as a good thing - I don't like the iPhone design compared to the Desire.

I don't think any android phone will be perfect until they get hardware acceleration sorted out. Every device I've tried has lag and choppiness about it and they appear to 'soup' up the specs to no end without solving this issue. It's the biggest disappointment of Android. I don't think most people notice or are bothered by it, but if you've used phones by that other company, it's noticeable and can be infuriating.
    I haven't really noticed any 'lag' and 'choppiness' in my Desire, except when unplugging it from the USB data cable when it has to re-initialise the SD card.

Oh and another HTC characteristic: crappy battery. The Sensation has a smaller battery than the Evo 3D at 1550mAh. Bad sign. They should've at least matched the SGS2 and Atrix to power that huge screen.
    I would agree with you on the battery. There doesn't seem to be much development on that front.

ReputationRep:
    That is one ugly mofo. I imagine it looks nicer IRL regarding the stripe, but from the front it already looks like it has a cheap case on.

ReputationRep:
    So yeah, specs are specs but no amount of specs will make Android smooth and fluid. Not for now at least. Are we waiting for ice cream?
    Ice Cream will bring H/W acceleration.

SPB Shell 3D does the same.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know when the playstation app is out really want some ps1 games on my phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Ice Cream will bring H/W acceleration.

SPB Shell 3D does the same.
    ETA on Ice Cream?

(Original post by x01)
    Anyone know when the playstation app is out really want
    some ps1 games on my phone.
    Get an emulator? They've been available for age now...

(Original post by bigmo7)
    ETA on Ice Cream?

Get an emulator? They've been available for age now...
    I think he means the official ones for X Play.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I want the official one, the PSX emulator has been pulled from the app store. I know you can still get it from other places but don't mind paying for some games as it's only going to be one or two I will get.

ReputationRep:
    Do HTC release a new Android Phone every week now? =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    ETA on Ice Cream?
    Q4 2011.

(Original post by SteveDhalai)
    Do HTC release a new Android Phone every week now? =/
    Why complain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Why complain?
    There's no longevity to their Android Devices, You could buy the latest and greatest and then see them put out a new model in a month.

Not to mention the fact that they're hardly going to keep providing updates for all of these models that have got out.

(Original post by SteveDhalai)
    There's no longevity to their Android Devices, You could buy the latest and greatest and then see them put out a new model in a month.

Not to mention the fact that they're hardly going to keep providing updates for all of these models that have got out.
    They are bringing Android 2.3/Sense 3.0 to the Evo 4G which came out almost a year ago.

EDIT: Same with the Desire.

ReputationRep:
    They left my Hero to rot with 2.1. *******s.

(Original post by mikeyd85)
    They left my Hero to rot with 2.1. *******s.
    Tbh they learned from the Hero. It was their flagship Sense device, I can allow some mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    Any know if the the HTC Legend will get 2.3?

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.