Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    June is still in Q2 :bubbles:
    Yep, but im betting we'll get it on the very last day of the quarter, just like the droid x.

ReputationRep:
    What is it that iPhone apps have over Android apps? I keep hearing all over the place that iPhone app market is better, but I have never been entirely certain in what way. I have been told that the iPhone has better games, which is fair enough, but aside from them what advantages does it really have? I sometimes can't help but feel it's one of those things that people say without actually knowing whether it's true or anything about it.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    What is it that iPhone apps have over Android apps? I keep hearing all over the place that iPhone app market is better, but I have never been entirely certain in what way. I have been told that the iPhone has better games, which is fair enough, but aside from them what advantages does it really have? I sometimes can't help but feel it's one of those things that people say without actually knowing whether it's true or anything about it.
    Companies in general will make an app for iPhones before Android (for example Cyanide and Happiness has an iPhone App, but not an Android App)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    Yeah, I havn't had the time to mess around with roms, so I just kept the stock one and overclocked it.

When the hell is this 2.2 update supposed to be available? They say Q2, but knowing Motorola, its going to be sometime in June
    Exactly the same thing I've done!

I'm getting impatient as well but I guess it's good to know that it'll eventually come. I believe they've started releasing it in other parts of the EU.

(Original post by Bobifier)
    If I'm not mistaken, the iPhone AppStore has a much stricter quality control scheme.. so you get less "dysfunctional" apps if that makes sense? That's not to say that there aren't quality apps for Android though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    x
    Do you have a Gen 1 or Gen 2 OSF? I tried flashing CM7 only to get an error everytime I try...I'm thinking it might be down to the different generations. :K:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Companies in general will make an app for iPhones before Android (for example Cyanide and Happiness has an iPhone App, but not an Android App)
    This is true, though gradually I see it changing. For example, even Nectar (card / offers) has an Android app now.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    This is true, though gradually I see it changing. For example, even Nectar (card / offers) has an Android app now.
    Oh yeah, it'll definitely change. After all, Android is now outselling iOS so companies will shift to making both apps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Oh yeah, it'll definitely change. After all, Android is now outselling iOS so companies will shift to making both apps.
    Except iPhone customers tend to happily pull out a few quid for an app vs android users who don't. They spend a heck of a lot more and they have gazillions of accessories.

Android has the issue of maintaining quality and compatibility across a range of specced devices. So on the whole imo the apps on iOS run better as they are optimised. But there are a load of functional apps you wont see on iOS, like recently when I was looking for a text message based app to bring my phone out of silent mode so I can find it. This isn't possible on iOS as it's locked. There lots of other quirky apps which are really useful on Android.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Except iPhone customers tend to happily pull out a few quid for an app vs android users who don't. They spend a heck of a lot more and they have gazillions of accessories.

Android has the issue of maintaining quality and compatibility across a range of specced devices. So on the whole imo the apps on iOS run better as they are optimised. But there are a load of functional apps you wont see on iOS, like recently when I was looking for a text message based app to bring my phone out of silent mode so I can find it. This isn't possible on iOS as it's locked. There lots of other quirky apps which are really useful on Android.
    Completely agree! I have that app...the amount of times I lose my phone and it's hidden under a pile of clothes is ridiculous. Plus of course, we get widgets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    Do you have a Gen 1 or Gen 2 OSF? I tried flashing CM7 only to get an error everytime I try...I'm thinking it might be down to the different generations. :K:
    I have an OLED one, though this shouldn't make a difference. What error have you got?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)

That's awesome, what's it called

ReputationRep:
    I have an OLED one, though this shouldn't make a difference. What error have you got?
    http://android.modaco.com/content/zt.../#entry1671996

Edit: NVM installed CMW 3 and it's just worked :crazy:

ReputationRep:
    Excellent.

I had the same problem. The new clockwork mod recovery and ROM manager is excellent!

ReputationRep:
    Excellent.

I had the same problem. The new clockwork mod recovery and ROM manager is excellent!
    I can't believe I overlooked it tbh. Really annoyed with myself now, spent nearly 2 hours on this! At least it's sorted :p:

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe I overlooked it tbh. Really annoyed with myself now, spent nearly 2 hours on this! At least it's sorted :p:
    When I discovered why it wasn't working - I kicked myself. I knew that I needed to update Clockwork before I did it, but I for whatever reason... forgot. Thankfully, I had backed up my old ROM.

ReputationRep:
    When I discovered why it wasn't working - I kicked myself. I knew that I needed to update Clockwork before I did it, but I for whatever reason... forgot. Thankfully, I had backed up my old ROM.
    I'm glad I got it sorted, CM7 looks so sweet! I want it on my Galaxy S now!

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I got it sorted, CM7 looks so sweet! I want it on my Galaxy S now!
    It's excellent. :awesome:

I'm still repeatedly putting the phone to sleep and waking it up to see the cool old school CRT switch off/on effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    would you pump your dad to save your mums life? She's getting pumped by gorrillas and thrown into a volcano.
    I don't see how hypothetically performing a sexual act on my father, whilst my mother was hypothetically having things done to her by a gorilla, would save her life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovemygirl0489)
    I don't see how hypothetically performing a sexual act on my father, whilst my mother was hypothetically having things done to her by a gorilla, would save her life
    Dorothy, you're not in Kansas any more... :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Dorothy, you're not in Kansas any more... :erm:
    :rofl: you're funny, soundest mod i've met.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.