Turn on thread page Beta

Android OS watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovemygirl0489)
    :rofl: you're funny, soundest mod i've met.
    I try :awesome:

Copypasta'd into the wrong thread? :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    That's awesome, what's it called
    I'm using Where's my Droid. It works great and you can set any magic word to set it off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    What is it that iPhone apps have over Android apps? I keep hearing all over the place that iPhone app market is better, but I have never been entirely certain in what way. I have been told that the iPhone has better games, which is fair enough, but aside from them what advantages does it really have? I sometimes can't help but feel it's one of those things that people say without actually knowing whether it's true or anything about it.
    The apps have a certain polish or sheen to them that isn't seen on a lot of Android applications. Don't get me wrong, I love Android and I'm on stock 2.3.3 right now, however when looking at the iPhone and the overall package (build (aesthetics), screen quality, and the quality (again, aesthetics) of the applications, it looks a little better than the average spec'd Android phone.

Of course, you have a closed ecosystem to thank for that. When developing for Android, you have to take into account that all of the phones wont' b able to run your game if you make them too high of a quality. To comfortably play "every" game out there, you're going to have to have something with a 1ghz processor and 512mb of RAM minimum (IMO). With iPhone, everything's "the same" so you don't really have to worry about it.

(Original post by Mad Vlad)
    It's excellent. :awesome:

I'm still repeatedly putting the phone to sleep and waking it up to see the cool old school CRT switch off/on effect.
    On effect looks really bad to me.

Off though :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    yesssss Android ftw :afro:

I've been using it for 2 years now (had the HTC Hero and now I have the Desire Z)

ReputationRep:
    It's excellent. :awesome:

I'm still repeatedly putting the phone to sleep and waking it up to see the cool old school CRT switch off/on effect.
    Yeah that was pretty awesome, I kept doing that too...my Dad wasn't all too impressed though :mmm:

Btw how many applications do you use roughly? We found that the phone kept going in an endless loop every time we restored all the backed up stuff though Titanium. Not sure if it was to do with not enough space on the internal SD or whether it was just a system app that was going wrong...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Anyone played Link It Lite? It's a mind ****. Great puzzle though. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    Yeah that was pretty awesome, I kept doing that too...my Dad wasn't all too impressed though :mmm:

Btw how many applications do you use roughly? We found that the phone kept going in an endless loop every time we restored all the backed up stuff though Titanium. Not sure if it was to do with not enough space on the internal SD or whether it was just a system app that was going wrong...
    In my app drawer, I have about 60 apps. I also had a couple of problems with Titanium, actually. One force close and it hung reinstalling an app (though I don't recall which). Killed it using Advanced Task Killer and retried - and it worked properly.

ReputationRep:
    In my app drawer, I have about 60 apps. I also had a couple of problems with Titanium, actually. One force close and it hung reinstalling an app (though I don't recall which). Killed it using Advanced Task Killer and retried - and it worked properly.
    I think it needs a repartition of the internal SD since we moved from Japanese Jellyfish. It's working now which is the main thing, only other thing is it needs a battery calibration; barely lasts through the day atm.

edit: 8000th post :king1:

ReputationRep:
    The apps have a certain polish or sheen to them that isn't seen on a lot of Android applications. Don't get me wrong, I love Android and I'm on stock 2.3.3 right now, however when looking at the iPhone and the overall package (build (aesthetics), screen quality, and the quality (again, aesthetics) of the applications, it looks a little better than the average spec'd Android phone.

is this really true these days? When my iphone friends get their phone out, they all have pretty much the same 20 apps or so as me, and those apps all look identical, such as facebook, fatbooth, angry birds, grindr, etc etc. The only difference is that i have a few extra apps that you just cant get on iOS, such as torrents app, free music download/streamer app etc

moreover, they seem better on either the larger screen of the desireHD, or the gorgeous super amoled screen of the galaxy s, when comapred to the iphone4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    I think it needs a repartition of the internal SD since we moved from Japanese Jellyfish. It's working now which is the main thing, only other thing is it needs a battery calibration; barely lasts through the day atm.

edit: 8000th post :king1:
    I've found it to be pretty decent on the old battery, tbh. When the phone goes into a deep sleep overnight, it's only lost 4% of its charge over about 6 hours. During moderate use, mine seems to hold up pretty well. Mine's only lost about 15% since 9 AM

ReputationRep:
    I've found it to be pretty decent on the old battery, tbh. When the phone goes into a deep sleep overnight, it's only lost 4% of its charge over about 6 hours. During moderate use, mine seems to hold up pretty well. Mine's only lost about 15% since 9 AM
    Yeah but the battery hasn't been that good since before I flashed CM7, it's usually because flashing ROMs can mess with battery calibration and I'm pretty sure the battery hasn't been at 100% at any time that I've flashed any of the ROMs so it probably needs calibrating. It's simple enough, I have to do it every now and again on my phone...

ReputationRep:
    Galaxy is a *****. I need a skype software that works anyone :/

ReputationRep:
    I just plugged in my phone to my computer via USB for the first time. Now my phone has a screen saying connected, but my computer can't detect anything attached to it. I can get my lock screen on my phone, but when I unlock it it goes back to 'connected' and none of the buttons will do anything. It strikes me as odd that connecting my phone would temporarily disable it, and I thought it was supposed to be able to do things with my computer. Am I missing something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsenal4lif)
    Galaxy is a *****. I need a skype software that works anyone :/
    Skype works fine on my SGS. :confused:

(Original post by Bobifier)
    I just plugged in my phone to my computer via USB for the first time. Now my phone has a screen saying connected, but my computer can't detect anything attached to it. I can get my lock screen on my phone, but when I unlock it it goes back to 'connected' and none of the buttons will do anything. It strikes me as odd that connecting my phone would temporarily disable it, and I thought it was supposed to be able to do things with my computer. Am I missing something?
    Have you installed the drivers for you phone onto your pc? If you enable debugging mode on your phone you can get to the mass storage option.

ReputationRep:
    Flashed Gingerbread on my phone last night. Had a few problems but it's all fine now, look forward to seeing what the battery life is like...

ReputationRep:
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/htc-...ideo-50003553/

:dice:

ReputationRep:
    Hrmpf. It no longer syncs gmail, google calender and contacts. Cleared the data from the apps, rebooted etc. etc. Corporate sync with my outlook works fine :/

Thinking about doing a factory reset. Do I need to unroot before that?

Edit: all good, somehow sync got deactivated, i just reactivated it with the power control widget. Weird, but it works now.

Ahh I still need to join the soc

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.