Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it should keep everything

It was different for me as I had to downgrade first but I remember with my Hero it kept everything

The good thing about rooting is, you can make a full backup with Nandroid, reboot, test all of your themes and do whatever you want. If you don't like it, either remove it or just restore the Nandroid backup and it will be exactly the same as it was before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGetGully)
    Yeah it should keep everything

It was different for me as I had to downgrade first but I remember with my Hero it kept everything

The good thing about rooting is, you can make a full backup with Nandroid, reboot, test all of your themes and do whatever you want. If you don't like it, either remove it or just restore the Nandroid backup and it will be exactly the same as it was before
    Won't happen by default with one click root I don't think.

He'd need to flash CWM after rooting.

ReputationRep:
    And is it possible to de-root? I've tried to find the right ROM for my phone before but it's not always clear which is the right one, and doing so would mean I'd lose the Vodafone modifications, which although would be a good thing in the short term (why oh why did they rename People to HTC People?), it would also mean that if it were to break they might refuse to fix it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    And is it possible to de-root? I've tried to find the right ROM for my phone before but it's not always clear which is the right one, and doing so would mean I'd lose the Vodafone modifications, which although would be a good thing in the short term (why oh why did they rename People to HTC People?), it would also mean that if it were to break they might refuse to fix it.
    If your phone gets a major hardware fault they likely won't bother to look at the software.

It is possible to unroot, though how you plan to pre-empt a malfunction and unroot is beyond me :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, this is my only problem with rooting - there's no clear way back. If I had an iPhone I'd be perfectly comfortable with Jailbreaking it like I do my iPod Touch, but that's because Apple provides the Software Restore and it is distributed unmodified by the Carriers.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's very easy to unroot, and I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find the Vodafone official ROM somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, this is my only problem with rooting - there's no clear way back. If I had an iPhone I'd be perfectly comfortable with Jailbreaking it like I do my iPod Touch, but that's because Apple provides the Software Restore and it is distributed unmodified by the Carriers.
    http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Buzz/
    Those only seem to be Vodafone Spain/German.

According to this thread you may be able to install a generic ROM as you would be rooted.

Question: what problems could arise that would make you need to return the phone and yet still allow you to change the software/Vodafone to see the software?
    I've never understood this, ever since I jailbroke my iPod touch 2nd gen (back in the tethered days :moon:) I've never come across any issues that wasn't software related (and fixable personally).

(Original post by IGetGully)
    Menu -> Personalize -> Skin

"The Galaxy Ace is a 3.5G smartphone, offers quad-band GSM and announced with two-band HSDPA (900/2100) at 7.2Mbps. The display is a 3.5 inch TFT LCD capacitive touchscreen of HVGA (320x480) resolution. There is also a 5-megapixel camera with LED flash, capable of recording videos at QVGA (320x240) resolution."

"The Samsung Galaxy S is an Android smartphone that was announced by Samsung in March 2010. It features a 1 GHz "Hummingbird" processor along with 8–16 GB internal Flash memory, a 4-inch 480×800 pixel Super AMOLED (PenTile) capacitive touchscreen display, a 5-megapixel camera and on select models, a VGA front-facing camera."

The Galaxy S is bigger but has a bigger (more importantly higher resolution) screen

It's also got a faster CPU and more memory.

tbh, unless you'll be watching movies and playing intensive games on your phone (like N64 emulators) the Galaxy Ace is the cheaper alternative

Also, on the home page on the right, it says "Who quoted me?" and I don't know who negged you buy I got negged for saying I thought a phone was ugly lol

Different ROMs (including Android 2.3 ROMs)

Nandroid (takes a FULL back up of your phone,so it's exactly the same)

This means you can just back it up, flash other ROMs, mess about with it and then if you need to just restore the backup

I just feel much safer knowing that if I mess my phone up I have ClockwordMod recovery on there to reformat, flash another ROM, backup/restore with Nandroid etc...
    Thanks for that ! So galaxy s is better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    Thanks for that ! So galaxy s is better?
    Much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Buzz/
    Those only seem to be Vodafone Spain/German.

According to this thread you may be able to install a generic ROM as you would be rooted.
    I'll have a look, thanks.

Question: what problems could arise that would make you need to return the phone and yet still allow you to change the software/Vodafone to see the software?
    I've never understood this, ever since I jailbroke my iPod touch 2nd gen (back in the tethered days :moon:) I've never come across any issues that wasn't software related (and fixable personally).
    1) I don't want to leave the standard upgrade chain - if there's a massive security hole discovered or something like that, or just a standard update released (2.2.x), then running any ROM other than Vodafone's or the stock ROM would presumably mean that I wouldn't be able to have Vodafone or HTC updates pushed straight to me. With Apple there's no issue with this, because there is only one possible route, only one provider of ROMs (Apple) and all you're doing is modifying the existing firmware. It's always possible to return to stock settings, and it's a very simple process. With Android phones, not so much.

2) One of my friends has a Wildfire that can't receive texts or calls. Otherwise it is perfectly usable.

ReputationRep:
    I'll have a look, thanks.

1) I don't want to leave the standard upgrade chain - if there's a massive security hole discovered or something like that, or just a standard update released (2.2.x), then running any ROM other than Vodafone's or the stock ROM would presumably mean that I wouldn't be able to have Vodafone or HTC updates pushed straight to me. With Apple there's no issue with this, because there is only one possible route, only one provider of ROMs (Apple) and all you're doing is modifying the existing firmware. It's always possible to return to stock settings, and it's a very simple process. With Android phones, not so much.

2) One of my friends has a Wildfire that can't receive texts or calls. Otherwise it is perfectly usable.
    Your second point could easily be a software issue, have they tried a factory reset?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Your second point could easily be a software issue, have they tried a factory reset?
    She's already taken it back to Vodafone because of the touchscreen failing to work, and when they'd fixed that, it was returned to her with this problem.

ReputationRep:
    OK im rooted and s-off, tell me how to flash a rom. I think i want cm7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    What device are you even using?
    Have you even looked at XDA?

ReputationRep:
    Go to the Market and download "ROM Manager"

Edit: just found this for the Desire Z

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1036833

Port of Sense 3.0 from the Sensational S :biggrin:

ReputationRep:
    Honestly if you don't know what's going in (and it seems like you don't really know what's going on at all, you dont need to be rooting and installing custom ROMs. yes it does give you a lot of customization but if you don't know what you're doing you have a good chance of messing something up.

I would suggest that you head over to xda-developers and educate yourself on the subject and make sure you know what you're doing before doing anything. Rooting is fine and anyone can do it, however you'll be messing with some delicate files (depending on what you're doing) and it isn't good to go in blind.

ReputationRep:
    No I think i'm up to scratch, thanks. I wasn't sure if you could get CM through rom manager

ReputationRep:
    How do you do this? Google doesn't seem to be able to tell me how.
    didn't you use to have an iphone before out of interesT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    didn't you use to have an iphone before out of interesT?
    No, an iPod Touch, I've had two so far.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Back for a bit before I get banned again. Since my last post (2 weeks ago). Rooted my Desire HD, Eng S-OFF, Radio S-OFF (i.e. all HTC security is off..semi dangerous stuff). Custom Rom (Android Revolution), based on Sense. Custom Kernal is allowing me to Overclock to 1.6ghz and Undervolt below 1.2ghz. Battery life is super good now, last 1 half days. Been flashing Radio's to. Basically rooting is the better than I could ever imagine.

Before I go (not sure if its posted) but a guy already has Galaxy S II and its a beast!

http://domarmstrong.blogspot.com/201...ark-tests.html

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.